DIY IPOD dock.

Hey all.

This is nothing fancy at all but I thought I'd share.
People are always coming round here and the conversation ends up with

"Oh, I have it on my iphone; Do you have somewhere I can plug in"

So now I do. :)

2.JPG

1.JPG

3.JPG

It's made from scraps. Dual LM386 amp, on/off switch, stereo volume pot.
Runs off 9v psu and I got 5v regulator so it'll charge my ipod/iphone too.
(regulator hasn't arrived yet, hence the charging cable in the photo.)

The on/off switch doesn't kill the charge option. ;)

Ok, It looks like shit all squared, but I'll build a little enclosure for it and maybe get 3" or 4" speakers instead of the 2" ones I had lying about.
Any recommendations on the cheap? I'm thinking just some full range car door speakers or something.

Last edited:
Nice one mate. Simple but effective and yer i'd get down to the scrap yard and see what speakers you can rip out of a car door.

I'll take five Ghetto Finger Blasterers too :)

Paul, would you please post a shot of the empty dock? I'd like to see how you are making the audio connnection to the ipod.

I love the enclosure! Nothing says ghetto like audio gear housed in cardboard!

Paul

Paul, would you please post a shot of the empty dock? I'd like to see how you are making the audio connnection to the ipod.

I love the enclosure! Nothing says ghetto like audio gear housed in cardboard!

Paul

Hey Paul.
I got my regulator chip today so now it charges my phone. :)

Here's the dock.

It's not very 'diy'; There's a 3.5mm out jack.

I was originally gona cut up a charging cable and wire it up to the amp, but a standard charging cable is missing all the pins for audio, afaik.

Whoa, that's fancy! At all! It looks as if that iPod is sitting on a little toilet. With two switchish things. Perhaps it's a bidet. With an iPood on it. Shut up; I thought of that.

LOL, the tuner bit. I have a few of those.

Any ideas how to shield from cell interference (when a call or txt comes in)? Is it as simple as housing the amp in a metal box and grounding it?

Back