DIY Books?

fuzzsniffvoyage

So as I am getting more into electronics, I was wonder what books would be recommended? I'd like to get a better understanding of what components actually do.

I scored these 2 old books along with a cool magnifying glass/ruler today at a swap meet/flea market.

20180922_230440.jpg20180922_230458.jpg20180922_230525.jpg20180922_230552.jpg20180922_230625.jpg

My constant reference for state of art but very down to earth circuit design..

"Small Signal Audio Design" Douglas Self. Very little maths except dBs and he goes into CS,Rs, and active components very deeply. Some very useful circuits in it.

For valve work as applied to guitars and basses. "Tube Pre amps for Guitar and Bass" Merlin Blencowe. Bit more math but you don't have to understand it. Lots of very useful circuits and ideas for amp pre design. The section on FX loops is worth the cover price alone.

I am waiting for him to get around to git power amps! Don't think he has yet.

Dave.

My constant reference for state of art but very down to earth circuit design..

"Small Signal Audio Design" Douglas Self. Very little maths except dBs and he goes into CS,Rs, and active components very deeply. Some very useful circuits in it.

For valve work as applied to guitars and basses. "Tube Pre amps for Guitar and Bass" Merlin Blencowe. Bit more math but you don't have to understand it. Lots of very useful circuits and ideas for amp pre design. The section on FX loops is worth the cover price alone.

I am waiting for him to get around to git power amps! Don't think he has yet.

Dave.

Thanks for the info, I will definitely put it to use. I don't think I'll ever buy a "new" amp ever again.

Check out Uncle Doug's YouTube channel for tons of great info about amplifier components, circuit design, and construction.

YouTube

Also, look at the Velleman range of electronic module kits.

I always suggest "noobs" (wtgr!) to get the One Watt amplifier based on the LM386 chip. Fiver ($8?) so no great loss if you cluck it up. Makes a handy signal tracer. Powered from 2 AAs it is a decent guitar headphone amp. Use a 9V PP3 and it will drive a speaker and with a 100dB/W/mtr guitar speaker will go pretty loud!

The chip (not a true op amp) is virtually indestructible.

Dave.

When I was young :facepalm: my mate had a Selmer little giant it was only like 5 watt or something but it had a great sound, It' a shame nobody makes little kits like that to build?,, all the small kits I've seen cost big!. :(

When I was young :facepalm: my mate had a Selmer little giant it was only like 5 watt or something but it had a great sound, It' a shame nobody makes little kits like that to build?,, all the small kits I've seen cost big!. :(

Trouble is (I guess?) is that an amp kit has to be a biggish amp and fairly expensive to justify safety considerations?
A cheap, low power kit might be seen as affordable to a very young person who might not then get much older!

At 14 I was dabbling with KT66s and 500V in a cellar with a damp, flag floor. I was bloody lucky!

Dave.

Yep, Health & Safety rule everything these days, & of course the fear of being sued for any/everything? :rolleyes:

Back