Thread: Dividing Voltage in Series

Thanks

Dividing Voltage in Series

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys, 1st post. Im building a mic pre kit and i want to add a couple extras like led vu meters and possibly some tone control. The preamp circuit runs on 48v and the meters are 12v each and tone control is 24v. Im kind of a newbie. Can I just power all the extras in a series since 12v +12v + 24v = 48v? Or will it just divide the voltage equally across? In that case could anyone recommend a way to do this? Thanks so much!

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Rubinstein View Post
    Hey guys, 1st post. Im building a mic pre kit and i want to add a couple extras like led vu meters and possibly some tone control. The preamp circuit runs on 48v and the meters are 12v each and tone control is 24v. Im kind of a newbie. Can I just power all the extras in a series since 12v +12v + 24v = 48v? Or will it just divide the voltage equally across? In that case could anyone recommend a way to do this? Thanks so much!
    No, just putting things in series won't work the voltages will share as the current drawn.

The first task is to find out how much current the additional 12V devices draw (rig on a car battery FIT 100mA fuse!) Once you have that information you can use a 12V regulator to drop the 48V to 12. But, most regulators are not rated for 48V in iirc so you will need a series resitor to drop the incoming supply to the reg' The value of that R can be calculated from the current draw and the voltage needed at the input of the regulator, say about 18V you also need to calculate the power rating of the R and be generous!
    You can buy pre built regulator boards very cheaply. You want a "7812" fixed 1 amp regulator. I doubt the 12V extras will draw anything like 1 amp!

I AM assuming you only need a single +12 rail. not + and -12?

Dave.

Thread Information