Crate Vintage Club 30 help (still broken)

jndietz

The Way It Moves
I posted another thread in "Guitars and Basses" earlier and thought it was just a blown preamp tube. But, alas, it doesn't seem to be it, either. I replaced the tube, and still have the same symptoms:

When plugged into the "input" jack, I get no sound out of either the clean or overdrive channel. When plugged into the effects loop, I get sound.

Not really sure what to do at this point or start. Links to schematics:

Preamp schematics
Power amp schematics

ok since we know that it affects both pre's we have 2 options to start with... 1st is the supply voltage present going tp the pres???
2nd do we get signal at test point 9... (or R24/R70)???
if the voltages are there and signal it that test point then it has to be in the jack for the effects loop or something in the reverb drive is sucking it down...

try to check this and fill me in...

hi, i have a crate vintage clube 50 which stopped working on me a while back. turns out, after replacing tubes:p and all that, it was the capasiters. they were all bloated out, so if they are, need to be replaced:). also, make sure you have the right fuses, not the fast ones, but heavy duty, slow blow ones. good luck.

ps. love the amp, my fav. haha. i still need to get my reverb working again though, anyone familiar with that? i think its probably just a transistor or something that crate uses for the reverb plate

peace, fishincan

hi, i have a crate vintage clube 50 which stopped working on me a while back. turns out, after replacing tubes:p and all that, it was the capasiters. they were all bloated out, so if they are, need to be replaced:). also, make sure you have the right fuses, not the fast ones, but heavy duty, slow blow ones. good luck.

ps. love the amp, my fav. haha. i still need to get my reverb working again though, anyone familiar with that? i think its probably just a transistor or something that crate uses for the reverb plate

peace, fishincan

please do me a favor and never work on this yourself... most amps have multiple fuses... the main power is typicly a slow-blo... the speaker protects and such are typiclly fast-blow... "bloating" is something your girlfriend/mother does once a month... and while it can indicate a bad cap it doesn always do the job... guitar amps have never had plate reverbs.... and the spring reverbs they do have are not driven or recoverd by transistors in a tube amp....

Well, I'll be honest: I'm probably going to go take it to a pro anyways. I'd love to learn how this shit works but don't have the time or patience :D

also, make sure you have the right fuses, not the fast ones, but heavy duty, slow blow ones. good luck.

Get the RIGHT fuse, which may or may not be a slow blow. It should say right on the amp, or if not in the owners manual.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

peace, fishincan

I didn't think of checking those. I'll rip its guts out again tonight and check that out :)

if you look at the fuse and it's a thin wire then it's a quick blo... which makes it great for speaker protection and the like... if the amp DC's then it goes real quick... if what you see looks more like a strip then it's a slo blo... it's designed to be in say the primary power supply where it needs to pass current all the time... then when the current gets extreme (a short for instance) then it goes... make sense???

Back