Class project: transistor choice

mandoblast

Hi folks:
I realize there might be better forums for this question, but this is the one I joined...
I'm in the process of working out a low-power (5-10w) power amplifier circuit for my students to construct. I think I have a working output stage based on some transistors I had from previous projects: 2sc3117 npn and 2sa1249 pnp.
Problem is that they don't seem to be current issue. I'm hoping somebody here can recommend a similar, more readily obtainable complimentary pair.
Thanks,
Roger

Last edited:
The 2sc3117/2sa1249 Pair might be a bit under powered for 10w unless you paralell them ... For a replacement I would suggest BD139/140 if you aren"t going to be useing supply voltages above 80v (you can get 10w with less than 30v), they have the same to-126 package with very simular specs accept that the 2sc3117/2sa1249 are 180v parts ....

I would suggest a transistor with a bigger package that won"t have to work as hard or get as hot to do the same job , even To-220 would be better ....

Cheers

thanks

I went with tip41/42 for now, preamping with a 5532. It's working well, and I think I can get my kids to build it successfully. These are pretty low-level students. ;) We'll use center tapped 12+12 transformers for about +/-15 volts. could get more with higher voltage, but I'd need driver transistors, I think. Maybe next year.
Anybody interested in progress reports?
Roger

Back