Circuit board mounted jack

notCardio

I walk the line
I need to find one. It's for a Behri tube screamer clone, so if it's not cheap, it won't be worth it.

Heck, it probably won't be worth the effort, but I won't know until I fix it.

I need to find one. It's for a Behri tube screamer clone, so if it's not cheap, it won't be worth it.

Heck, it probably won't be worth the effort, but I won't know until I fix it.

You should be able to tack in any old jack you have handy to prove out the pedal? Note, removing a PCB mounted jack can be fraught. There are often tracks running underneath and if you are not careful you can break them.

Best not to try to remove the old jack in one piece. 'nibble' at it with side cutters until you are just left with pins then heat and remove those carefully. With TWEEZERS not pliers!

Dave.

If the jack will fit, the wire connection will offer a level of isolation as to the continuous plugging in of products. In my years of experience the PCB mounted jack was done to save labor but the way they soldered them was ridiculous and why I always seem to have to resolder these jack due to mechanical stress breaking the joints. If you use a small piece of stranded wire, the joint will not be stressed and the item will remain soldered as no mechanical stress will be transmitted to the board. In boxes I make for the bench as in tape deck testing I use those gold jacks from off E bay as they are better not because of the gold color but the mounting and ground ring they have.

Attachments

• Rear Deck 4 ch box.jpg
    Rear Deck 4 ch box.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 6
If the jack will fit, the wire connection will offer a level of isolation as to the continuous plugging in of products. In my years of experience the PCB mounted jack was done to save labor but the way they soldered them was ridiculous and why I always seem to have to resolder these jack due to mechanical stress breaking the joints. If you use a small piece of stranded wire, the joint will not be stressed and the item will remain soldered as no mechanical stress will be transmitted to the board. In boxes I make for the bench as in tape deck testing I use those gold jacks from off E bay as they are better not because of the gold color but the mounting and ground ring they have.
I know my one eye is pretty ***t but are they not RCA 'phono' sockets and not TS or TRS jacks?

Might be just a Limey thing but we do differentiate the two.

Dave.

I'm just guessing, but I think this referred to the TO800 which is a guitar pedal. As such, an RCA phono jack would be the wrong device. A simple 1/4" TS jack is what the OP needed.

TO800s sell for $30-45 new all day, so for the majority of users, replacement of the pedal is a better way to go. Some of us just like fixing stuff, though.

Some thoughts on PCB mounted jacks: We could hardly have the compact gear we now enjoy without them! As with much in engineering, it depends on how well it is done.

The guitar amplifier Co I worked for used them extensively but they were attached to substantial, plated thru' print and each pin had a 4x4mm solder pad. I never had a problem with solder joints. I DID have the occasional damaged jack, both input and speaker jacks due to excessive cable strain. Rock musicians can break ANYTHING!

Dave.

Back