capacitor question

jli

it needs more cowbell....
I replaced the capacitor off the capsule with a polystyrene in one of my mic mods. The transient is clear, but too piercing....do these suckers mellow out over time or do i need a different capacitor?

Dang. If that's the case, does anyone know where I can find a Rohm polystyrene 1000pf around 600v? That's the one I want, but I can't find a place that still sells Rohm in that value. Or does anyone know what sounds like That particular cap?

If 1000pF is too piercing, try 2200pF, and let more mids and upper bass frequencies through. But make sure you got the value right first. You may have it too small as opposed to the original to begin with. If physical size is an issue, measure the B+ in your power supply, and see if you can get away with a 400VDC capacitor.

Thanks for the 2200pf tip. I've wondered what changing that value would do. I let the electronics "burn in" for a couple days.....now I've lost all transient clarity....I'm going to try a silver mica, or something a little more expensive like a relcap.

What is the mic design? Have you thought of eliminating the cap altogether? If the mic is cardioid only, you may not need a blocking capacitor.

Whilst it can be shown (D.Self: Small Signal Audio Design) that some capacitor dielectrics produce more distortion than others the figures are in the third decimal place. The various distortion mechanisms in a capacitor microphone are going to swamp these differences by some two orders.

Just get the value and voltage you require.

Dave.

I agree that it SHOULDN'T be an issue; however, to my surprise my ears disagree with me...

I ended up using relcaps, they are pretty expensive, but I like the sound of them.

I agree that it SHOULDN'T be an issue; however, to my surprise my ears disagree with me...

Then you join the ranks of those that have to live with an effect without a mechanism and one that they cannot prove.

Dave.

Then you join the ranks of those that have to live with an effect without a mechanism and one that they cannot prove.

Dave.

Dave, you sly dog! There is no such rank: I'd tried getting a badge for "whatever-the-hell" you are talking about, but it turns out the good people who issue them at Whogivesacrap Inc. have permanently shut their doors.......Seriously, I have not made to attempt to prove anything to anyone, nor do I intend to. What is the point of your post?

My point?
Simply that in 30+years of reading about the audible pro and cons of certain audio components and cables there has not been any consistent, testable data that shows any advantage for one type over another.
Yes, as I pointed out, there are microscopic non linearities in capacitors and some are a tiny bit better than others but I maintain that no one could point to pre amp A and say "That uses capacitor X. Pre amp B uses capacitor Y" with better than even odds.

Russ Andrews and his ilk are just ripping people off.

Dave.

My point?
Simply that in 30+years of reading about the audible pro and cons of certain audio components and cables there has not been any consistent, testable data that shows any advantage for one type over another.
Yes, as I pointed out, there are microscopic non linearities in capacitors and some are a tiny bit better than others but I maintain that no one could point to pre amp A and say "That uses capacitor X. Pre amp B uses capacitor Y" with better than even odds.

Russ Andrews and his ilk are just ripping people off.

Dave.

That's fair. I get a kick out of some of that stuff too. For example there are long threads dedicated to swapping out the C8 capacitor on Apex 460 mics. After my own experimentation, swapping that cap is at best a very minor change in the overall sound quality: I would consider it more of an afterthought if you were to do a major overhaul on the mic. Changing the capsule from the stock Neumann center termination type to an AKG style edge termination makes a much bigger difference (among others). But who would honestly carry on a 24 page thread on the obvious! I also tried a Nichon Muse at C6 because it seemed to be a standard recommendation. It made the 460 sound like a sack of junk! So I tried an Elna R20 after doing my own research and I am happy with the end result. Feel free to get soldering iron, try some parts and use your ears to come to your own conclusions on SPECIFIC mods and swaps.

I will use others advice to point me in a direction to try something new, but I trust my ears the most, not some one else's ears, or a guy on the other side of the ocean with a spec sheet.....after all, the point of all of this is to like what you hear....or at least that's why I keep doing this.

Back