Capacitor polarity?

pikingrin

what is this?
Apparently any polarity testing functions I though I had I ended up not having. Got a schematic and vague build instructions on an effects pedal I'm building - my second, I'm still wet behind the ears - and there are around 8 capacitors involved. The build instructions show the polarity of the electrolytic capacitors for the 2 that are included but there are 6 others that no polarity is given for. To add to that, the legs of the ceramic or film capacitors are equal in length which is throwing me off. Am I right to assume that some capacitors work regardless of how they are connected; at least 4 out of the 6 that are left have equal length 'legs' and no designation on either the build sheet or the PCB... :confused:

Waiting for a response before I solder these in... :thumbs up:

The ceramics and films don't care. It's electrolytic (and rarer tantalums) that you have to worry about.

What are you building this time?

Edit - nm, saw your post in the other thread. This is the Treble Booster. The schematic only shows two polarized caps.

Yeah, it's the treble boost. The BYOC PCB had the positive positions of the cap legs squared off instead of just the circled locations like all of the resistors and everything else that didn't care. This time around it was a bit different; only 2 of the caps were labeled on their sheet as polarized so it got me curious about the rest of them. Learn something new every day, right?

The GGG Rodent (Rat clone) is up next; I'm stoked about that build...

Back