Boss RC-50 LED light mod, help needed.

Pompadour Jay

Long-story-short, I am colorblind. That is why I chose music for my artform. I want to purchase the Boss RC-50. However, with the red/yellow/green color changes, I know I will make a terrible mistake at the worst possible time.

I want to replace the LEDs with different colors. At least replace the green with blue.
are their 3 separate LEDs in there or is it a combination LED? I am not very hip to the electronic parts. (the resistor color bands scared me away). I can handle any work needed. I am just wondering if what I want to do is possible. Any details you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

It depends what sort of color blindness you have. If you're totaly colorblind (very rare) all leds will look the same. If it's just one type of color sensing cell in the eye you're missing you'll have to do tests to see which color LEDs you can distinguish from which others. Buy all different color LEDs and connect them all up together to a battery via 470 ohm resistors, and see which look best.

Long-story-short, I am colorblind. That is why I chose music for my artform. I want to purchase the Boss RC-50. However, with the red/yellow/green color changes, I know I will make a terrible mistake at the worst possible time.

I want to replace the LEDs with different colors. At least replace the green with blue.
are their 3 separate LEDs in there or is it a combination LED? I am not very hip to the electronic parts. (the resistor color bands scared me away). I can handle any work needed. I am just wondering if what I want to do is possible. Any details you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

I have an RC-50 and I very strongly suspect it's a combo LED showing the three colours... I have enough problems working out the difference between green and yellow where there's reasonable light. OK on a dark stage, but perplexing at times in the lounge room...

I know what you mean about making a mistake at the worst possible time! Been there... it's a high risk device.

Ask Boss.... they should be able to tell you. Download the manual, perhaps, mebbe it'sll be in the specs section...

Good luck!

FINALLY someone addresses colorblind looping!

I am r/g colorblind and love the rc-50!!!
However, some of my very best work
has been lost at times when it looks like
the looper is on record.. and it's not. makes it
hard to record a streamless piece in one take.

I've asked Boss about this issue--
they seemed surprised it was a problem at all
and advised me to make no modifications
to the unit. It stands to reason that there is one
LED in each slot, which could be replaced by a different
combination LED, but that's way more electronic
work than I'm willing to risk for a tool that couldn't
be quickly replaced.

is it possible to paint over the outside of the bulb
with a light coat of clear nail polish? surely a
specific color filter would make it easier to
distinguish among the colors, right? it'd be important
to keep in mind that there are 10+ types of colorblindness
and what works for one person with red/green may not
work for another red/green, as there are variations
in even the r/g.

any further thoughts would be way appreciated!

The easiest way to do that is to buy one that does it on its own, I used to have some that I had bought from my buddies stereo shop that just plugged into the cigarette lighter and had double stick tape to mount, there was a little box with a dial for the sensitivity, that way you don't run any risk of ruining any of your electronics. For a 24" bar I think I paid roughly 30 dollars for it.

Back