A Blast from the Past... TnC Group buy Questions... mod related

eyeteeth

Greetings. Haven't spent much time here for quite a while. A number of years back, there were a couple group buys via chaps going by TnC... One of which included a series of microphones. As with everything, there were modifications, and updates that could be made that helped the performance of the Mics.

There were even a few folks that would mod them for you... replace ribbons, tension properly, etc.

I can't seem to remember the names or links and am hopeful there may still be some here who remember, or know.

Thanks much.

So far everything I've been able to track down is a dead end... Joly quit doing work.. recommended another place... that also quit doing work. The place that had components in the above link... closed the location... I think Joly is guy I mostly remember, but its almost like hunting relics. lol

Thanks for the link though.

Joly, yeah was trying to remember his name. I think Anti-chef was working on mods back then. He might still come around once in a while.

So far everything I've been able to track down is a dead end... Joly quit doing work.. recommended another place... that also quit doing work. The place that had components in the above link... closed the location... I think Joly is guy I mostly remember, but its almost like hunting relics. lol

Thanks for the link though.

What are you looking to make/buy? There's a bunch of DIY projects at GroupDIY: See e.g. Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

Depending on how much you want to spend on modded microphones, there are some great projects out there, and capsules are available in various price ranges. I got a bunch in a group buy several years ago. AA Microphones is a great place and Dave Thomas is one helluva guy: Advanced Audio Microphones..

There's also a couple of places that sell ribbon kits (I can't vouch for these) Bumblebee Pro – DIY Ribbon Mic Kits by Artur Fisher

Also, see some of my threads, I've recently done mods to MXL 2001s and I e.g. built a single sided Gyraf G7.

Blue Jinn: Single sided G7 build

Last edited:
Well... Honestly... I was hoping to find someone that works on/mods them. I have a pair of TNC ACM310s that I love... but one of the tubes has started going. Was hoping someone out there was familiar with them and was trusted. I have an ACM 1200 I wouldn't mind having some work done on. The ACM 3s I have are simple enough I should be able to update/freshen those.

Well... Honestly... I was hoping to find someone that works on/mods them. I have a pair of TNC ACM310s that I love... but one of the tubes has started going. Was hoping someone out there was familiar with them and was trusted. I have an ACM 1200 I wouldn't mind having some work done on. The ACM 3s I have are simple enough I should be able to update/freshen those.

The TCM 1200 looks a lot like the Alctron HST-11 aka Apex 460 and a few others. Dave Thomas (link above) sells a mod kit for these.

I have a pair of unbranded ones, that I'm slowly getting to doing that mod.

I don't know much about the 310s to offer any suggestions.

I saw that before, but the pages are fairly old... claiming there would be updates... without any. The Home page says it closed. maybe I'll see if Sweetwater can work on the ACM-310s. Replace the tube going bad... and match the other to it. Really like them on accosting guitar and as overheads.

I saw that before, but the pages are fairly old... claiming there would be updates... without any. The Home page says it closed. maybe I'll see if Sweetwater can work on the ACM-310s. Replace the tube going bad... and match the other to it. Really like them on accosting guitar and as overheads.

What makes you think the tube is bad? (Again, I couldn't find any info about these.) Can you post a pic? There might be something else at issue.

Back