Anyone modded a DMP3?

dickiefunk

Hi. I have a DMP3 and am wondering if anyone has modded one of these?

I notice it has Burr Brown INA 163 opamps. Would a THAT 1510 opamp improve this preamp anymore?

I'm just curious what you think the dmp3 lacks . . . ?

I'm not sure really. I've been told that the THAT 1510 opamps have less noise than the INA 163 so I guess any improvement for a few quid would be welcome.

I noticed on the Cedos website they recommend the THAT 1512 over the 1510 for even lower noise.

Can you hear the noise on the dmp3 (when it is cranked)? If so, then the swap may be worth it, but if not, there is no sense getting rid of noise that no one can hear.

Can you hear the noise on the dmp3 (when it is cranked)? If so, then the swap may be worth it, but if not, there is no sense getting rid of noise that no one can hear.

Only when using a ribbon mic on quiet sources.

What I'd like to know is would the THAT opamp would make much difference?

I can't speak about that specific op-amp, sorry. If the chip is mounted in a socket, it would be easy to replace and try it out. If not, then you might want to get some more experienced opinions before getting the soldering iron out.

While the THAT chips have impressive specs the actual differance that you would hear would be minimal to none , Actually if you look at the THD specs between the INA163 and the THAT 1512 you will find that the INA actually has better THD specs accept for at the highest gains....

Also a MOD would be difficult unless you were very experienced as the INA163 is in a SOIC 14Pin Package which is a very small surface mount chip with a lot of Legs so soldering in a new chip with just a soldering iron might proove very difficult.....

Cheers

While the THAT chips have impressive specs the actual differance that you would hear would be minimal to none , Actually if you look at the THD specs between the INA163 and the THAT 1512 you will find that the INA actually has better THD specs accept for at the highest gains....

Also a MOD would be difficult unless you were very experienced as the INA163 is in a SOIC 14Pin Package which is a very small surface mount chip with a lot of Legs so soldering in a new chip with just a soldering iron might proove very difficult.....

Cheers

Thanks for the reply! Think I'll leave it as is!

Back