Anti-Cat monitor covers -- DIY

AndreiR

Here is my solution for protecting my monitor speakers against our cats. Simple but effective and snug. You never know if them felines would want to try their claws on the nice rubber surfaces...

20200415_121557.jpg20200415_121608.jpg20200415_121644.jpg20200415_121657.jpg

I can just imagine a cat jumping up, latching its claws into the cardboard, and pulling the whole lot over.

I think you're overly concerned.
I've had my cats jump up and sit on top of the monitors...they never considered scratching at the speakers.

Cats do however love cardboard boxes. ;)

I think you're overly concerned.
I've had my cats jump up and sit on top of the monitors...they never considered scratching at the speakers.

Cats do however love cardboard boxes. ;)

All cats are different. Ours love to sit in boxes, but they never scratch them. They love though to chew on Crocs and guitar stand rubberized brackets. In a past we had a cat that destroyed our cables. So to protect speaker surrounds is a logical move. I just don't want to find a hole in the speaker, when it's too late... $$$! Cardboard is cheap. If I discover them scratching on the covers I made, then maybe I'll think of something else. But for now it gives me peace of mind. Better safe than sorry. :)

Last edited:
Back in the days of big high fi systems with floor standing speakers, no speaker grill was safe! :)

I have a pile of amp cabinets all on the floor, and all covered in nice, "tempting" grill cloth...but my cats have never once attempted to scratch at the amp cabs, which I was initially concerned about...and the cats spend a lot of time in the studio, and have their own perch, up high, which is how they can end up on top of my monitors.

I think it may have to do with the age of the cats, and already established habits. Mine are not young kittens, who will often chew and scratch at everything...so they already have their established scratch places, and there's nothing in the studio that seems to interest them...they just like to hang there.

Back