Analog Drum / Rhythm Synthesizer Project

Dr ZEE

Anti-Pro Circles Insider
Hi Guys. This one is for those of you who are into analog synth building - the crazy ones, that is ;)
This project really took me forever to "finish". I've started actually putting it together early spring, and it was after couple month of experiment on breadboards... so it's almost took me a year to get from "an idea" to the point of pluggin' it in. Also, it's not that it was that much more complicated, but rather due to the fact that I had bunch of other unrelated thing to do, so did not have much "free" time around.

I have the page at my site now, there are all the details, project in progress photos, schematics, digrams etc. Also I've took time to make a short video with my chip digi-cam, and there are also few mp3 samples of beat/grooves there, made by 'driving' the synthesizer by previously built analog sequential controller unit.
The page link: http://www.mzentertainment.com/studio_workshop_raw_beat_quad_analog_drum_synthesizer.html
In short: this machine is a four channel analog synth, designed to produce electronic drums sounds and synth bass grooves. It also can produce all sorts of complex sounds, especially when combined with sequencer and external controls. I've named the 'beast' - "RAW-BEAT-QUAD", which makes sense for what it is :cool: .
Any questions/comments - I'd be happy to blah blah :D
here's a photo:

Attachments

• raw_beat_quad.jpg
    raw_beat_quad.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 61
sheesh zee-man...that is really something...I grew up with a Mini Moog in the house so I've got an affinity for analog synths, but this modular stuff...wow.

Absolutely fantastic in appearance and I can only assume in sound as well.

audio samples of what it does anywhere?

Hi, Cory, thanks a bunch , man :D
audio samples of what it does anywhere?
I've made a video with my sony digi-cam, it just shows the unit in action, as being driven by Sequential Controller, also in combination with another small synthesizer. That's the best I can do. I can't make any good video demonstration, and the sound on video is what the built-in mic picks. I also added just mp3 audio track of the same beat as in video, it's right under the video link.
I've made just few sample recordings and you can listen to mp3s , the links are there on the page, see "mp3 audio samples" there.

Wehen I get some time (if ever) I may try to put together some video demo of a single channel, to demonstrate the parameters and functions. I am not sure how it may work out though.
I've found a very nice video demonstration on youtube of coron DS-8 clone module. DS-8 is(was) a synth, which I used as a base idea, then I've made some mods and added a few extra features/functions and external contol options so it can be used actually as a synthesizer with analog sequencer. So I have four independent channels of such synth "modules" in one box :).
The basic idea is: "set-up" (dial) a sound on each channel and then sequence "them", so you get beat/and/or/bass/synth grove going. Or you can play the individual sounds with drum-trigger pads (like old school analog electronic drums).
In addition to "drum" like sounds it actually can produce variety of sounds, sound effect etc.
Here's the youtube link of DS-8 demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGPbrvUVmZo , this shows you the basics of such synth.

Back