"Don't Sleep Your Life Through" - Bowie-ish(?)

Yes, vocals are definitely bowie vibed, is that you? Very cool guitar, the whole mix seems a little "mid" focused to my ears? Listened in my car, and just listened again in my office ( creative labs speaker/sub setup) , not the most high quality audio setup so take my comments with a grain of salt :sneaky:.
Always a fan of your stuff and this one does not disappoint !

Yes, vocals are definitely bowie vibed, is that you? Very cool guitar, the whole mix seems a little "mid" focused to my ears? Listened in my car, and just listened again in my office ( creative labs speaker/sub setup) , not the most high quality audio setup so take my comments with a grain of salt :sneaky:.
Always a fan of your stuff and this one does not disappoint !

That may be a consequence of hitting the two bus a little too hard on this one too. Compressors hit too hard allow the dominant frequencies to pass through ... which helps create that glassy "sheen" to the sound - making the mix sound "nasally" (midrangeish).

Thanks bud - and yes, that's me. :D

That may be a consequence of hitting the two bus a little too hard on this one too. Compressors hit too hard allow the dominant frequencies to pass through ... which helps create that glassy "sheen" to the sound - making the mix sound "nasally" (midrangeish).

Thanks bud - and yes, that's me. :D
Awesome job on those vocals!

Listened all the way. Nice playing. Nice production.
I could hear Phil Collins near the beginning, but toward the end it was definitely Bowie.
Not so keen on the obviously artificial drums.

Listened all the way. Nice playing. Nice production.
I could hear Phil Collins near the beginning, but toward the end it was definitely Bowie.
Not so keen on the obviously artificial drums.
I always try to avoid having to use midi drums - as they're a bit too "perfect".

This one was a strange one, though, in that regard.

I found a midi sequence that nearly completely matched the song structure right out of the gate. Normally I've got to build "fills" and other segments right into certain transitions etc ... but the midi clip on these had those fills drop in exactly the right place w/o me having to "build" the beats. I was as if providence had struck. So I kept them. :D

Thanks for the two!

I've already worked on the fix - backing off the two bus limiting to open the depth up a bit more. Strat hit it on the nasally midrange. I'd overdone the limiting - which lends to ear fatigue and midrange smear. I'll post the fix in a moment or two.

Through the TV speakers it sounds toppy and fizzy. The ride and snare in particular. The composition is cool nice guitars.
Bowie? Nah you've almost been Billy Joel to me :D

Good stuff. (y)
Can’t comment in the mix because I listened on a phone.

I will say that the drums sounded a bit funny to me. Couldn’t put my finger on it, but others have mentioned midi drums.

However, that aside, me thinking they sounded funny was a blip and quickly forgotten upon listening all the way through.

Again, Good stuff!

Back