Almost Beatles Songs

TAE

All you have is now
Craigslist pfffffft

So I got the Country western gig via Craigslist "gigs".
I live in LA LA land so there are a lot of people in the "industry" both movie and music. Ya just never know who you're going to run into in these CL ads.
Well if the wife doesn't go postal on me, I have the opportunity via a freekin craigslist ad to possibly work with this cat and some of his friends on this project
"Almost Beatles songs" ..basically finishing a lot of the songs from the stolen basement tapes that ended up on the cutting floor of the Get Back documentary.
And get this, these are being recorded on a Nagra reel to reel...just a bunch of middle aged cats some in the "industry" that want to do this as passion project.
Sent my videos of me doing my thing and have been invited to try it out with these guys this weekend..
well just to get to jam once with these cats will be fun but it'd be an amazing hoot if they want me to join on in the venture.... Bret is the driving force on this and at the minimum we both have a passion for the Beatles and he's got a Nagra deck woo hoo!

Last edited:
Pretty dang cool, brother.

That song Paul is noodling, sounds to me like he's been listening to some Beach Boys.

Reactions: TAE
Listening to this, my thought was "what would be the perfect progression for the bridge?" Paul and John always seemed to find the right way to change things up in the middle.

Looking forward to chapter 2!

Listening to this, my thought was "what would be the perfect progression for the bridge?" Paul and John always seemed to find the right way to change things up in the middle.

Yeah this is going to be interesting...these cats are pros and the gist I get from Brett is they want to stay true to what was left on the cutting room floor....Me as a student of McCartney songwriting immediately heard where a bridge or lyric line should be brought in on a few of these but it sounds like that is not something they want to do...explore melody lines beyond the melody yes but stay to true the original including the lyrics...this is at least what I got rapping with him on the phone ...I get it but knowing how they ( The Beatles) came up with stuff and how often the words chords and melodies got changed dramatically kind of bums me that we won't be exercising creative license in that part of these recordings...That's if I even make the cut. No matter if I do or don't it for sure has put a spark under my ass to explore these underground recordings I've possessed for 20 years... It's been years since I even took a listen...I have over 4 gigs of underground Beatles recordings..art work from the liner notes of the records and cd's that were passed around back when all we had was dial up...quite a collection that a friend of a friend turned me onto.

Frickin excited about heading over and jammin with these cats tomorrow in the morning. Coffee and Jam

Reactions: RFR
Yeah this is going to be interesting...these cats are pros and the gist I get from Brett is they want to stay true to what was left on the cutting room floor....Me as a student of McCartney songwriting immediately heard where a bridge or lyric line should be brought in on a few of these but it sounds like that is not something they want to do...explore melody lines beyond the melody yes but stay to true the original including the lyrics...this is at least what I got rapping with him on the phone ...I get it but knowing how they ( The Beatles) came up with stuff and how often the words chords and melodies got changed dramatically kind of bums me that we won't be exercising creative license in that part of these recordings...That's if I even make the cut. No matter if I do or don't it for sure has put a spark under my ass to explore these underground recordings I've possessed for 20 years... It's been years since I even took a listen...I have over 4 gigs of underground Beatles recordings..art work from the liner notes of the records and cd's that were passed around back when all we had was dial up...quite a collection that a friend of a friend turned me onto.

Frickin excited about heading over and jammin with these cats tomorrow in the morning. Coffee and Jam
Break a leg dude!

Nagra Series 4 - with pilot=tone. Nice machines with a huge appetite for dry batteries I remember. Survival - an Anglia TV Natural History production in the 70s used them with the film cameras - sep mag days. They were nice machines. I don't remember any special fondness for them - they did their job but I never wanted one for myself. We'd also use them for recording sound effects - and Foley stuff where we needed to get out and about. I don't remember what mics we used though?

Wellll they didn't hate me.....Now I guess we'll just see where it leads.. They liked what I brought to the table so now it's just a matter of time management and not getting the wife to annoyed with another musical distraction. So Brett's day gig is a video editor, mostly reality TV stuff Ice road truckers for instance..the video I started this thread with is his work with him narrating. Pro level stuff so this could be some top drawer biz I'm going to get to play apart in...it felt really good when I wasn't screwing things up with clams...Soon enough, time will tell about the circus and the wishing well

Last edited:
I had an opportunity in the late nineties to play on one of Jon Anderson’s (yes) solo albums.
Sitting in his living room, I was personally invited by him.
Like a fool doubting my own abilities, I turned him down.
In hindsight that was a huge mistake on my part. I can only imagine where I’d be now had I only walked through that door he had held open for me.

So, go for it! Go for it as far as you can take it. Deal with the wife. This could be the opportunity of a lifetime.

Last edited:

Noel Gallagher knicked most of his song ideas from The Beatles.... in fairness he recycled and used them rather well 😄😄👍👍

Hey Jude.... mastery... forget about the chanty chorus at the end.

Just a simple verse.... then a killer mid section

Wellll they didn't hate me.....Now I guess we'll just see where it leads.. They liked what I brought to the table so now it's just a matter of time management and not getting the wife to annoyed with another musical distraction. So Brett's day gig is a video editor, mostly reality TV stuff Ice road truckers for instance..the video I started this thread with is his work with him narrating. Pro level stuff so this could be some top drawer biz I'm going to get to play apart in...it felt really good when I wasn't screwing things up with clams...Soon enough, time will tell about the circus and the wishing well
Well you met Eddie Van Halen and played a gig with VH. I think that would have been enough for me to be happy TAE. And you been a sucess and great family and now great life with your grand kids in sunny CF. From where I am sitting I think you nailed it 🤣🤣🥰🥰🥰🤘🤘👍👍

Well you met Eddie Van Halen and played a gig with VH. I think that would have been enough for me to be happy TAE. And you been a sucess and great family and now great life with your grand kids in sunny CF. From where I am sitting I think you nailed it 🤣🤣🥰🥰🥰🤘🤘👍👍
Brett? Oh god, is it that singer from that late 80's band? Awful garbage terrible useless crap hair metal, they were truely tragic, the last dregs of that horrible genre before grunge came in and got rid of it all.

I feel sorry for you TAE but go for it.

Thankfully all of that vacous hair 80's pop girl stuff was blown away by real music.

I hated the 80s IN THE 80s!!

Go to a rock club, 30 inch waist jeans, who has the biggest perm, talk to other guitarists, Malmstein? Modes? Lydian, Lochrian, Aolean, Mixalydian, up your Arsealydian!!!

I hated it but sadly bought into it. It was as genuine as Trumps tan or Kim's bum implant, bah!
This blew all the crap away.

RIP Christopher John Cornell and Bradley James Delp

2 true greats who left us too soon.

Page asked Chris to reform Zep but Cornell said no. It would be disrespectful

Sorry, rant over 😔😔

I had an opportunity in the late nineties to play on one of Jon Anderson’s (yes) solo albums.
Sitting in his living room, I was personally invited by him.
Like a fool doubting my own abilities, I turned him down.
In hindsight that was a huge mistake on my part. I can only imagine where I’d be now had I only walked through that door he had held open for me.

So, go for it! Go for it as far as you can take it. Deal with the wife. This could be the opportunity of a lifetime.
Thanks brother solid advice and encouragement. It could be nothing but even if is is nothing more than what I felt today that's good enough cause it felt bitchin. They let me take some privildges and just noodle , I did and I moved these cats I took em on a ride and they dug where I took it...That's good enough...If this becomes something more than that it's just groovy gravy.

Thanks brother solid advice and encouragement. It could be nothing but even if is is nothing more than what I felt today that's good enough cause it felt bitchin. They let me take some privildges and just noodle , I did and I moved these cats I took em on a ride and they dug where I took it...That's good enough...If this becomes something more than that it's just groovy gravy.
You never know. Doors lead to other doors.

Back