Acoustic bass on a Hip hop track?

• Thread starter Deleted member 203901
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 203901

Hi there, I was wondering what your thoughts are on using acoustic bass instead of a huge 808 bass in a hip hop beat. I completed a hip hop beat yesterday in which I experimented with this concept...since I always struggled to get the 808 heard in smaller speakers that have very little information below 400 hz or so (laptop, cell phones, etc), I thought maybe an acoustic bass might help. The result: I could clearly hear this bass in all smaller speakers I usually check my mixes on (laptop, cell phone and even TV speakers) I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic. BTW, here's that hip hop beat I completed yesterday:

Thanks a lot :)

How did the acoustic bass compare to the bass you usually use for this stuff when you were mixing it? What does it sound like and look like by comparison?

How did the acoustic bass compare to the bass you usually use for this stuff when you were mixing it? What does it sound like and look like by comparison?
Hi dobro, thanks so much for your reply. I found the acoustic bass a LOT easier to mix (infact, I did not have to mix it at all...no saturation, just balanced levels and did a slight boost at around 114 hz and a slight cut at the same spot on the kick as well) Visually, I did not look at it though. Thanks a lot for that advice. I'll make sure to do that from now on to see how low the bass is going (on a frequency analyzer) Thanks again!

Hi. It wasn't advice to look at the waveform, but I was curious about how much stuff is down there.

Back