Some people just have too much money

TAE

All you have is now
LOL this a picture of a FB friend of mines home studio...He's a Canuk and lives a pretty nice life in the Music biz selling equipment online mostly I believe. Has a wife and a couple kids, lives in a nice house that sits on the side of a beautiful river. And after he sits on his deck having his coffee and croissant in the morning watching the river flow, kids get dropped off at school and it's time to go get some recording done...this is what he has to sit down at. Some guys...

1654087853373.png

This is going to be like the woman where I worked..Her freind had a huge house, fancy car....she painted finger nails...Fucked up world. Tear down the schools. Schools got in the way..Then sold privilege to the rich.

LOL this a picture of a FB friend of mines home studio...He's a Canuk and lives a pretty nice life in the Music biz selling equipment online mostly I believe. Has a wife and a couple kids, lives in a nice house that sits on the side of a beautiful river. And after he sits on his deck having his coffee and croissant in the morning watching the river flow, kids get dropped off at school and it's time to go get some recording done...this is what he has to sit down at. Some guys...

View attachment 118527
My setup isn't much different - but I make my living from music - so tools of the trade (which it appears he has) are needed.

I'm not envious one bit. I guess some people need that. I don't know, l never did. I have a Trident console l got for nothing that was a pull from one of the many studios that closed in LA a few years ago. It will be in storage until l die. Money is for people who want that, and today money does buy you all that. But we made fantastic recordings in our home studio years ago with absolutely none of that. I mean it would have been awesome if we could have had a Neve console and a Studer 16 track, but we got the job done anyway. I wish everyone that was into music could have a rig like that, but not me. Because l would be the one going over there to barter time on that rig. Fact is l wouldn't know how to turn it on, and wouldn't know what to do if it came on.

So whats his job, what does he do?

A mp3 is 99 cents.
I actually met him trying to buy a Use Audio Plugiator about 15 years or so ago..He was an early adapter in online music and custom computers sales..

The Use Audio Plugiator the absolute coolest synth in box I have ever seen I still own it and have an old mac that has the very quirky and proprietary plugins for it..It's been years since I broke it out but truly the best mini moog emulator I have ever heard and sooooo much more..
I need to break it out soon...

Last edited:
I don't know about any of that, but l was given the first home recording studio ever put together. By Jack O'Neal head engineer at WOAI radio in 1936. I dated his daughter Betty O'Neal for years. And when Jack passed away in 1981 Betty called me and said l want you to have this. Tell me that isn't love.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1498710546636.jpg
    FB_IMG_1498710546636.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 11
Read it for yourself November 29, 1936 San Antonio Texas, St Anthony Hotel. If you think there is Robert Johnson in that box, your right.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1498710553370.jpg
    FB_IMG_1498710553370.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 4
And that guitar was given to me by Sam Lightnin' Hopkins.

Attachments

• Hopkins-Goldstar-Promo.jpg
    Hopkins-Goldstar-Promo.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
Necessity forced a change in my concept of "studio." I used to think of a studio the way I'd think of EMI or Decca or the Record Plant or whatever. Then one day I went into one, where my friend was making an album and it was a basement flat. The producer got me to do some backing vocals and as we were chatting after, he said to me that a studio was just a room.
That was in 1992~ish. Up until that point, I'd never really thought of it that way. I'd jammed in bedrooms before and indeed, used to set up in my front room and jam with a friend and record it on my stereo. Drums, congas and all. Guitars, bass, mandolin, whatever.
And then I bought a 4 track portastudio and once I worked out how to use it, life would never be the same because it was the portability that became the crucial element, not the where. Since then in '92, my "studio" has been a variety of places, wherever I can set up the instruments that are going to be used at that particular moment.
I used to marvel at those artists that said that particular studios housed a very identifiable sound and marveled even more at people that would listen to a record and say "oh yes, that was recorded at such and such a place." I could never tell and I wouldn't even attempt to. It was of no importance to me, really.
So I record where and whenever. Bedrooms, front rooms, bathrooms, corridors, sheds, toilets, with all kinds of mics. I enjoy creating a finished result and I've come to thoroughly enjoy not having a studio as such. It might sound a bit tree-huggy but the world at large really is my studio.
As long as there's an electric socket that works !

The only things in that picture that are expensive are the SSL control surfaces, the rest of it is pretty middle of the road stuff.

I'd hate to know what you think of my old setup.

Attachments

• studiofish web.jpg
    studiofish web.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: TAE
The only things in that picture that are expensive are the SSL control surfaces, the rest of it is pretty middle of the road stuff.

I'd hate to know what you think of my old setup.
You're a bastard :laughings: Noooooice!

Years ago me and a buddy were in my studio just shooting the shit.
Talk turned to cars and I mentioned how I always wanted a Porsche 911 but they were unaffordable.

He looked around and said, “you have a 911 right here.

Kind of put things in perspective. I did the math and yup, the combined gear value did add up to a Porsche.

It’s all what we focus on. We get what we put our minds to.

Ps. A decade later, I did get that 911 ;)

I'd be surprised if that guys setup had more than $10k invested in it. The biggest percentage of money is the control surfaces, which aren't essential to anything. He also has 3 of essentially the same monitor... none of them being high end like Genelec or Barefoot.

Realistically, there isn't anything in that picture that I would want.

View attachment 118527
But where's all the great ANALOG gear? A great multitrack tape machine, a classic mixing console, a coupla limiters and EQs---eh?

Back