Zoom h6 needs shotgun NTG2 (rode)??

Mayu

I am hard of hearing so i desperately need help. I have zoom H6 with microphone XYH-6. I plan to speak while I hold H6. But should I get rode shotgun NTG2 for clearer voice. I want to record my voice only but not refrigerator notice andnAC noise. Please let me know if ZOOm with XYH-6 is good for recording my voice clearly

A dynamic mic, cabled and on a boom stand that can get close to your face, is going to be easier to work with than the stereo condenser XY cartridge. If you have an H6 that came with the Mid-Side cartridge, you could try that (again, relatively close to your face, gain turned down) and keep only the "mid" component. I seem to recall that they stopped including that part with the H6. If you don't have it, I would not spend time seeking it out. A mic on a stand will give you more control.

You might get a small stand for the H6 too, if you don't have one. I used something like this with the H6 and still use one with the F8n:

I generally prefer to use an external mic on a stand if I'm recording a vocal on my Zoom H4n vs the attached mics. As Keith indicated, for close-in vocal work, and XY set up isn't really useful. I have mounted my H4n on a sturdy photo tripod along with two external mics for recording a wider area.

If you do feel you need to go with a shotgun mic, you might consider the Zoom SHG-6. Its cheaper than the Rode, and from the comparisons I've seen, is similar to the Rode NTG2 in terms of internal noise floor. The disadvantage is that it can't be used with any other device.

My vote is for the typical "ball" type live performance mic, with lips on grille. Point the null (180° off axis for the usual cardioid pattern mic, about 150° off axis for a super-cardioid mic) at the most problematic source of unwanted noise. Most of your isolation will be due to the distance ratio (close mouth, distant noise source).

Yep - absolutely avoid a shotgun as a starter mic. If you lived in the UK, I'd happily loan you a hand-held and a shotgun, and I know you'd not then go and buy one.

If you want sensible choices for spending with a hearing issue - a Shure SM58 from a real audio dealer, NOT ebay, and a really good set of headphones, ideally ones that go over your ears, seal, and cut out the sound of the room, or even in-ear style ones with expanding foam seals to replace any hearing devices you may be using. This is important because hearing aids that use even decent microphones, get optimised for your hearing curve, and wreck music and speech recording, where you need to make choices. When I was teaching we'd have students doing music technology who discovered that with typical tools found in music DAWs they could enjoy music so much better by producing the right response curve for in-ears. Shure 215's were very popular for this, and they'd set up plugins on the college computers to load in their own EQ. The majority would then be able to produce really good mixes, once they found the right settings.

Back