Meatloaf

60's guy

Happy New Year!

Here's an opportunity to share recipes of what you think goes into making the best tasting meatloaf or to discuss the music of Meatloaf and the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I thought Meat and Jim Steinman were a good team, like Elton and Bernie. Their musical visions were similar, so that made it easy for Meatloaf to bring the songs to life.

Back then in the mid 70's we looked at the size of him and thought 'jeez what a big fat ******'. Today people of his size are the norm.

Back then because of his size he was an 'odd bod' of the 'rock star' type of person. But I think he had a great sense of humour which carried him off. The live show he did with Karla Davito on 'Paradise By The Dashboard' was an eyeopener to a drunken teen like myself one night and when he did 'Deadringer for love' it was hilarious. He was great at sending himself up.

I didnt understand some of the other stuff he did even though they were hits. I would love to know what he wouldn't do for love.:unsure:

I have only listened to Meatloaf briefly some twenty years ago - one song.

My main exposure was the film Roadie (1980). I enjoyed the hell out of him in that, and the movie as a whole. In our band(s), I was the one who set up our stages - except for drums.. our drummer set up his kit. That let me empathize with Mr. Travis W. Redfish.

I thought Meat and Jim Steinman were a good team, like Elton and Bernie. Their musical visions were similar, so that made it easy for Meatloaf to bring the songs to life.
And Todd Rundgren was involved also, wasn't he?

Yes, Todd was the producer.
Just a bit of trivia, Todd did the revving motorcycle sounds for Bat Out Of Hell on his guitar.

So Meatloaf recipes...

Made many a meat loaf in my life...
The go to back in the day was
2 lbs of 85% ground beef
2 eggs
A package of Liptons onion soup
A cup of bread crumbs
bake at 325 for about 45 minutes and then pull out drain the grease. Coat the top thickly with Hunts ketchup and set back in the oven at 325 for another 15 minutes... Bam! Acceptable meatloaf.

My Wife raised the bar adding about a 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce to the mix
replacing the Liptons soup with a half of an onion chopped into tiny pieces and adding a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of ground pepper and a teaspoon of mustard powder .

Same baking time and procedures as above and instead of ketchup she uses barbecue sauce to top it ( she uses Sweet Baby Rays)

As meatloaves come n go...her does not suck at all...

As a kid I loved my meat loaf served with real mashed potatoes and buttered green beans...good livin.
Better yet was having a meat loaf sandwich the next day on white bread with nothing but best foods mayo and a little salt n pepper....Oh dang thems was the days...

Always liked Meatloaf the musician and singer ...great voice and full of rock n roll energy...in a theatrical kind of way...

Had not a clue that there was a Todd connection to him...the shit I learn here...Kinda cool sometimes where a left turn takes ya! EAT YOUR BRUSSEL SPROUTS!

Last edited:
Speaking of Todd.. around 1989, I had purchased a new Amiga 2000HD computer with the idea of integrating it into my little analog bedroom studio. I had a Tascam 688, Teac 38 R/R with dbx, Kawai K3. Various music related publications would have articles about Todd using Amiga computers.. many Amiga computers.. chained together. Radical stuff back then. He used them for his videos which utilized the NewTek VideoToaster, which was a cool video toy that, among other things, allowed you to combine images. Like the transporter effect in Star Trek TOS, for one.

Hell, I had enough trouble getting music software I could work with for my Amiga. Lots of it was just data manipulation with nothing but numbers and note designations (C4, with some numerical value next to it, e.g.). By the time I found some software that looked like music notes and staff sheets for my Kawai synth, I had lost interest in MIDI.

Last edited:
Speaking of Todd.. around 1989,
In 1987 a bass player I jammed with who also happened to be a computer programmer and program developer purchased cakewalk. He did it because I had a DX7 with this new fangled thing called midi. We did a few hybrid recordings using cakewalk to trigger the DX and a Midi Kat he purchased ...no quantizing pretty stiff but we actually pulled off some ok recordings...I think he still has them.... This was all DOS based and totally intimidated me with his zippy zoomy typing and that non gui screen... I did not embrace trying to record via computer again until 1996 after I had built my first Windows PC with a whopping P 133 processor....17" CRT and a AWE32 soundblaster that came bundled with Voyetra Digital performer software....OH Damn...and that's when the trouble started...the internets AO-HELL I was never really too successful with that though it was quite cool....floppy disc and all...Joined HR.com late 99 and watched as digital recording evolved and kept trying to get the best stuff....watched the birth of Reaper here....Now I can do more with my little iMac and a cheap Behringer interface than I could sitting in a multi million dollar studio back in the 70's...Problem for me is I'd rather be playing than dealing with recording / mixing and editing but it's a necessary evil. Hope to push the red button on some multi track reaper projects this year...

So Meatloaf recipes...

Made many a meat loaf in my life...
The go to back in the day was
2 lbs of 85% ground beef
2 eggs
A package of Liptons onion soup
A cup of bread crumbs
bake at 325 for about 45 minutes and then pull out drain the grease. Coat the top thickly with Hunts ketchup and set back in the oven at 325 for another 15 minutes... Bam! Acceptable meatloaf.

My Wife raised the bar adding about a 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce to the mix
replacing the Liptons soup with a half of an onion chopped into tiny pieces and adding a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of ground pepper and a teaspoon of mustard powder .

Same baking time and procedures as above and instead of ketchup she uses barbecue sauce to top it ( she uses Sweet Baby Rays)

As meatloaves come n go...her does not suck at all...

As a kid I loved my meat loaf served with real mashed potatoes and buttered green beans...good livin.
Better yet was having a meat loaf sandwich the next day on white bread with nothing but best foods mayo and a little salt n pepper....Oh dang thems was the days...
TAE, thanks for the recipe.
Sweet Baby Rays barbecue sauce? I bought it years ago. Since then...it's the only sauce I buy.
I have a question. Is JPW the guy who hosted Jamfest 7 and made his own barbecue sauces?
I do remember that he sent me four sample bottles of his sauces. Awesome stuff!

When I (rarely) make meatloaf, rather than top with ketchup only, I mix ketchup with worcestershire sauce. It's more better than just ketchup.

Plus, Heinz ketchup is better than Hunts. ymmv

Reactions: TAE
When I (rarely) make meatloaf, rather than top with ketchup only, I mix ketchup with worcestershire sauce. It's more better than just ketchup.

Plus, Heinz ketchup is better than Hunts. ymmv
Good tip Mick... have to try it some time. Before I got the Covid I had a incredibly distinct taste ability...for now that ship has sailed...can taste lots of stuff ( sort of ) but sadly my morning ritual of a nice cup of coffee with some half and half has become a nice hot cup of something like warm milk with a slight bite...I can smell the grounds sort of...but the liquid...nada...THAT SUCKS hopefully it will come back...

Point being do you think you could tell the difference / identify Heinz with a blindfold among 4 brands of ketchup to taste....Is it that significant of a difference? I mean Like Best Foods and Miracle Whip. Heinz or Hunt's is all good with me but Hunt's IS the slow ketchup ;)

Here's an opportunity to share recipes of what you think goes into making the best tasting meatloaf .
Happy New Year to You as well!

My Meatloaf is pretty standard:

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 Lb of Hot Ground Pork
1/2 Lb of Mild Ground Pork
1 Cup bread crumbs
1 diced yellow onion
4 Cloves of Garlic finely Mined
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg beaten
1 Tbsp.(or more) Worcestershire sauce
1 Tsp.Parsley leaves
1 Tbsp Chili powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 Cup Tomato Sauce

Mix it all together and bake in a 375℉ Oven for approximately 1 hour. I don't put the Ketchup topping anymore (Diabetes)- rather just put the Tomato Sauce on top and bake
the meatloaf for 10 minutes. It's delicious.

Good tip Mick... have to try it some time. Before I got the Covid I had a incredibly distinct taste ability...for now that ship has sailed...can taste lots of stuff ( sort of ) but sadly my morning ritual of a nice cup of coffee with some half and half has become a nice hot cup of something like warm milk with a slight bite...I can smell the grounds sort of...but the liquid...nada...THAT SUCKS hopefully it will come back...

Point being do you think you could tell the difference / identify Heinz with a blindfold among 4 brands of ketchup to taste....Is it that significant of a difference? I mean Like Best Foods and Miracle Whip. Heinz or Hunt's is all good with me but Hunt's IS the slow ketchup ;)
Hopefully your senses will come back. 10 years ago, I had cancer surgery, and had 30 shots of radiation directly at my right jaw. It completely blistered the inside of my mouth. At it's worst point, about the only think I could enjoy eating was a Wendy's Frosty. The radiation did the job but since that time, certain tastes just never came back. Things like vinegar and peppers are good. My sweet tastes never really came back. I love cinnamon but since then, I barely taste it. It also lowered my sense of smell, which goes hand in hand with most of your taste sense.

Yeah, I miss it, but it was worth the trade off to still be alive.

Hopefully your senses will come back. 10 years ago, I had cancer surgery, and had 30 shots of radiation directly at my right jaw. It completely blistered the inside of my mouth. At it's worst point, about the only think I could enjoy eating was a Wendy's Frosty. The radiation did the job but since that time, certain tastes just never came back. Things like vinegar and peppers are good. My sweet tastes never really came back. I love cinnamon but since then, I barely taste it. It also lowered my sense of smell, which goes hand in hand with most of your taste sense.

Yeah, I miss it, but it was worth the trade off to still be alive.
Oh brother you're singing to the choir...I just did 44 runs in the Tomo Radiotherapy tunnel about 2 1/2 years ago. Yep with the mask bolted down on me so I couldn't move...IT SUCKED but it did get most of my skin cancer that had gotten out of control...sadly a squamous one on my cheek came back almost immediately and almost got me...then came the knife and some good times...But hey I'm alive n kicking and MRI and CT scans looked good last month... My jaw is forever jacked from the radiation and I can only open my mouth a little over an inch wide...It could have been so much worse...Totally lost my taste on that journey and all food tasted like cardboard. They were all over my ass not to lose weight while getting the treatments...had to force eat and still lost 10 pounds. It took a few months for the taste to come back but I would say I got 95% back...This Covid loss of taste is quite different. I can taste sweet and salt which I couldn't after radiation. I can actually taste many things pretty well but the coffee thing is a bummer one of those guilty pleasures that for now is gone...Hoping it returns.

Aside from the loss of beard in that area the saliva gland on that side of my mouth is toast...The other side compensates during the day but if I sleep on my right side I get Mojave Mouth really bad on the left side where I got zapped. In the end just grateful I get to still be hanging around for the family and crazy amazing life experience I have been given.

Aside from the loss of beard in that area the saliva gland on that side of my mouth is toast...The other side compensates during the day but if I sleep on my right side I get Mojave Mouth really bad on the left side where I got zapped. In the end just grateful I get to still be hanging around for the family and crazy amazing life experience I have been given.
Yeah, no chance of having late 60s mutton chops for me, either.

• Haha
Yeah, no chance of having late 60s mutton chops for me, either.
I barely had a beard until I was in my late 20's and I could grow a nice one...always thought I'd be sporting a big ol grey beard when I was older... barely get away with a goatee but I get away with it.... In this video you can catch a smidge of the skin graft on my left cheek...That was a freaky surgery and they took a whole lot more real estate than I was expecting ...when I woke up the left side of my face was paralyzed...Oh don't worry that's just the anesthesia it will be ok in 6 hours...nope... It will come back in the next few weeks...nope...It might take a month or two...nope...it could take 6 months...nope...It might take a year....well it's been a couple and I have about 80% back thank God... I was not able to smile...it was hard to talk...Now I have a half ass smile can almost whistle and can somewhat play the harmonica...kind of sort of.... You can tell in the video the left side isn't exactly working perfectly but I am ;)

LOL while I was typing this the Youtube kept playing and I heard the beginning of Little wing 1979 version by my band back then The wind in the beginning is me on my Roland Sh-3 and the strings are also me on my Elka Rhapsody...listen to that suck ass drummer and that poser guitarist...man dem was the days...

Back