Room measuring question

Crash Manly

Hello der, just a question more out of curiosity more than anything else... whenever I watch videos or read instructions on how to measure room responses using reference mics they always put the mic in the listening position and then step way back to get the measurement. But when you are listening to your monitors, you are sitting right there in front of the speakers. Does not the (somewhat substantial in my case) mass and reflectivity / absorption of your body affect the measurement at all? Wouldn't you want to measure with someone, preferably yourself, in the listening position since that is how you will listen?

One human body isn't going to have a large impact in a control room. The difference between an empty venue and one full of people is much larger.

[Edit] The reason I think one body won't make much of a difference in this case is that it's not in a direct or primary reflected path of the sound from the speakers to the ears.

Last edited:
When you do a measurement, you need a repeatable baseline so you can judge the changes you make. Adding a variable, as in a body is destructive - especially as the body is very difficult to accurately repeat. Your room needs to work properly, so it can cope with variables in it.

Back