What's goin' on with everybody

Generally, I chop them up for chili. Sometimes, I'll use a small one in spaghetti sauce, especially if I don't have any hot Italian Sausage. I really don't make salsa. The dried ones, I use in a pepper grinder on stuff like lasagna, pizza, etc. It doesn't take much at all.

I always end up with way more than I can use, kind of like my cherry tree. I think I picked about 6 or 7 gallons this year. A good friend asked if she could have a quart... I took here a gallon jug!

A man can only eat so much cherry pie!

Bing sweet type cherries, or tart cherries?

Grandmother had a tart cherry tree at her place when I was a kid....along with pear tree, (damson) plums, strawberry patch, grape vines, and a huge garden area. Tart cherries are pretty good for eating and better for pies/cooking, but there were a couple of large sweet cherry trees in the neighborhood we would sneak and eat cherries until our stomachs hurt. Big fat dark purple cherries. Would love to have either type tree, you're fortunate.

If you find you're fresh out of Italian sausage or even want to kick up the Italian sweet sausage flavor, you can add some Fennel Seed to your sauce. Works like a charm.

Being as your all into chillies, do none of you eat Indian food in America like curries etc?

At least as far as my experience goes, Americans aren't exactly keen on Curries. UK,...hell, it's like the national dish. My mom used to make one when I was a kid, kind of greenish. My siblings hated it, I liked it. I doubt it was real curry. Honestly, I want to like it, but the smell is a bit off putting. Indian cooking?...i've joked, just because you have spices it doesn't mean you have to use all of them. I'll have to give a go sometime, curry. Truthfully, I like to explore food, ethnic foods. So went to an Indian buffet so I could sample different things. Immediately found a black hair in my food. That ended the sampling.

From what I understand Ghost Peppers originally cultivated in Northern India.

Grandmother had a tart cherry tree at her place when I was a kid....along with pear tree, (damson) plums, strawberry patch, grape vines, and a huge garden area. Tart cherries are pretty good for eating and better for pies/cooking, but there were a couple of large sweet cherry trees in the neighborhood we would sneak and eat cherries until our stomachs hurt. Big fat dark purple cherries. Would love to have either type tree, you're fortunate.

If you find you're fresh out of Italian sausage or even want to kick up the Italian sweet sausage flavor, you can add some Fennel Seed to your sauce. Works like a charm.
They are great in yoghurt.

At least as far as my experience goes, Americans aren't exactly keen on Curries. UK,...hell, it's like the national dish. My mom used to make one when I was a kid, kind of greenish. My siblings hated it, I liked it. I doubt it was real curry. Honestly, I want to like it, but the smell is a bit off putting. Indian cooking?...i've joked, just because you have spices it doesn't mean you have to use all of them. I'll have to give a go sometime, curry. Truthfully, I like to explore food, ethnic foods. So went to an Indian buffet so I could sample different things. Immediately found a black hair in my food. That ended the sampling.

From what I understand Ghost Peppers originally cultivated in Northern India.
Aha.............one and the main reason why I only eat my own food. If there was a slug on the lettuce it always ended up on my food..........and that's a mild one.:oops: I could tell you some foodie stories which is why I always make my own.

The UK restaurant Indian curries arent really curries. Most are a pre- prepared swimming in oil curry based curry called a BIR curry (British Indian Restaurant). They are made from a pot of pre-prepared curry sauce.

If you have all the spices you can make your own proper Indian curry which is far superior and different. But Indian food isn't always curry. Tikka and Tandoori meals are not curries but in the main spiced marinated meat dishes which you can cook in an oven, grill or BBQ.

Montmorency tart pie cherries. I put a dwarf tree in the front yard many years ago because there is a power line that goes over that area. A full sized tree would have caused problems.

I used to go to an ice cream place called Swensons. They had a great sundae that was covered in nice dark Bing cherries. MMMMMMMM......

I got hooked on Italian sausage as a teen. We had a nice restaurant and Sonny, the owner would make his own sausage. It was so GOOD! I've got some fennel seed, but it just never seems to be the same. Sometimes I can only find the sweet sausage, so that's when I add a pepper.

Montmorency tart pie cherries. I put a dwarf tree in the front yard many years ago because there is a power line that goes over that area. A full sized tree would have caused problems.

I used to go to an ice cream place called Swensons. They had a great sundae that was covered in nice dark Bing cherries. MMMMMMMM......

I got hooked on Italian sausage as a teen. We had a nice restaurant and Sonny, the owner would make his own sausage. It was so GOOD! I've got some fennel seed, but it just never seems to be the same. Sometimes I can only find the sweet sausage, so that's when I add a pepper.

Good choice. Versatility in mind, a tart cherry tree would be the way to go.

I bruise the dried fennel while adding to wake it up. Well, I pinch the hell out of it. Not a bad idea with any spice/herb, releases essential oils and flavor. If you're browning meat, onions or whatever, add about halfway through the browning to get the ball rolling rather than waiting and adding to the sauce. Of course check the date on spices. Some people might use a spice once a year at Christmas, 15 years worth of, and still have enough in the bottle for another 15. Not good eats.

Aha.............one and the main reason why I only eat my own food. If there was a slug on the lettuce it always ended up on my food..........and that's a mild one.:oops: I could tell you some foodie stories which is why I always make my own.

The UK restaurant Indian curries arent really curries. Most are a pre- prepared swimming in oil curry based curry called a BIR curry (British Indian Restaurant). They are made from a pot of pre-prepared curry sauce.

If you have all the spices you can make your own proper Indian curry which is far superior and different. But Indian food isn't always curry. Tikka and Tandoori meals are not curries but in the main spiced marinated meat dishes which you can cook in an oven, grill or BBQ.

I try not to look at the staff when we go out to eat. I just don't wanna know.

If it's not apparent, I do enjoy cooking, and study in a casual way how to do so. Never follow a recipe, watch or otherwise find out the how and the why, then figure out what I favor. Not unusual to hear it's better than going out, and of course I agree.....but wife chuckles and can hear me say it before it even comes out of my mouth...there's always 1 thing that might have made it better(^did it above about the Water Chestnut without even realizing). That Kung Pao, I started adding Toban Djan, spicy been paste. Totally high end quality dish you'd never get at the typical takeout or sitdown. Perfectly balanced, not overly sauced, clinging rather than swimming in it. Actual bits of chopped ginger and garlic. Only fudge, I reckon, didn't use raw peanuts, used Carolina brand black pepper peanuts. I actually think it is better.

I haz a dream: For some reason for many years I have wanted to make a dessert chili, one that at a glance looks like the regular hearty type. Surprise...it's strawberry based rather than tomatoes, with chilis. I don't know, maybe it's a stupid idea.

Orson said:

Somewhat recently we went to a place wife and her girlfriend go for breakfast/brunch sometimes on weekends. Specialties, "Bennies" and Bloody Maries. "You gotta go with us sometime!", they often say. So I go. Forget exactly what I had, one of the eggs benedict of some sort, blue crab maybe. It was actually pretty good. Then the chef, cook, whatever, he came out and took a spin around the dining area. The guy had nasty dreadlocks about down to his ass and a wiry goat on his chin to his neck, facial scruff. Had an apron on, but clothes looked like he had slept in. Looked like he had crawled out from behind a dumpster somewhere and rode his skateboard to work. Looked to be early 40s turning some gray, for heck's sake. I just really wanted to finish my "Bennie", I really didn't need to see that. Wasn't originally going to have a Bloody Mary, because I was already kind of hungover, but at that point the stars just kind of aligned and I couldn't fight it.

It seems more and more kitchens have become hip to that sort of thing. Wife's friend was, "The chef is really cool and does a great job!" I don't need cool, I need cleanliness. That guy, it's disrespectful to your customers. ymmv

Strange things are afoot..

I was just grocery shopping and when I checked out through a cashier, the bagger asked if I wanted paper or plastic. That's normal. I have always asked for plastic.

Today I said "paper".

The instant I heard it coming out of my mouth I saw both the cashier and the bagger freeze.. for about 2 seconds.. then they resumed in sync.

It was like they're androids.. A very Twilight Zone experience.

tilt.jpg

Everyone thought the episode with Mr. Sulu in the WWII veteran's attic with a Samurai sword and a cold beer was the rarest episode... but NO! :oops::LOL:

Mr. Spock in the greenhouse with his logic is the rarest..

Speaking of old shows, last night I was watching and old episode of the Ed Sullivan show. It brought back memories of my folks listening to Teresa Brewer records. She did a medley of songs, and I remembered all of them. Its funny how things stick in your head after 60 years!

Bill Halley, Harry Belafonte and Della Reese were also on the show.

I am a big fan of screwball comedies from the late thirties through the late forties. Also almost anything from that era with: Virginia Mayo, Ruth Hussey, Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Barbara Stanwyck,(funny as hell), Humphrey Bogart, William Powell, Myrna Loy, Jimmy Stewart .... well, you get the picture.

TV shows that I loved: Laugh-In, Dragnet

Me too. I'm a big classic film fan in general. Earlier today I watched Cary Grant and Irene Dunne in My Favorite Wife (1940). Lots of chemistry there.

Me too. I'm a big classic film fan in general. Earlier today I watched Cary Grant and Irene Dunne in My Favorite Wife (1940). Lots of chemistry there.
I will watch that whenever it comes on. Love the scene at the country club pool. And when she shows up at the hotel where he is honeymooning with new wife.

Back