Head Demagnetizing

ledhed

Anyone familiar with the relative merits of those little cassette-type head demagnetizers vs. the electronic wand-type units? The guys at our local pro audio place said they'll both do just as good a job...but I'm skeptical. Anyone used both, or know anything about this?

I would go with the "pencil" type demagnetizer. I always use cotton swabs with denatured alcohol to clean the heads and tape path. Then while the alcohol is evaporating, I demagnetize the heads.
*MAKE SURE THE MACHINE IS OFF DURING DEMAGNETIZING". There is a posibility of permanently magnetizing the heads when the machine is on. The tape heads may have a small amount current running through them. I remember reading this somewhere, and I just don't want to take a chance.

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

Thats a very useful link!!!

I love cassettes and 8tracks and my cassette deck the heads always get dirty.. Especially when I play this one tape..... I usually just wipe off the head with some water or something but that page gives alot of good info..

Im glad the site is still here :)

Last edited:
Never, ever put water on heads. You need liquid that evaporate, hence alcohol. I suppose water works but how do you dry it off? If you have a tape that sheds, copy it now, because it will get worse and worse. Every bit of debris you remove is music!

Yup its a newer 1981 album (1981) - I think it doesnt have rollers in it and the tape is being held hard against the head maybe I dunno... I gotta open it and try to put in a different shell.. (No screws so its not gonna be easy)

Back