Tascam porta one playback issues

joblowme

So I finally got this thing running about 8 or 9 months ago but im just now testing it out and laying down tracks for the first time but I seem to have an issue im not too sure about. And maybe 4 tracks are weird or maybe im a dumb ass when it comes to recording. But anyways the problem is that sometimes when I record ill adjust my settings to where I'm just under 0db. When I play back however, it shoots way past 0db and gets all distorted. I have to set the db to around -10db in order to avoid this. But even when I do this I have to turn the headphones way down before playback. If I don't then im balsted with way more noise then anyone should be exposed to in headphones. Another weird and inconsistent factor is that sometimes, and only sometimes, after I've made a recording I can adjust the track level and I can see the needle on the meter move up or down depending on how I adjust the level. Other times times adjusting the level will have no effect on the reading I'm getting from the meter. Shouldn't the reading on the meter be staying where ever it was when I recorded the track no matter how I adjust the level after recording? Or perhaps I'm doing something without realizing. Is there maybe a one mode where you see max db in wich something was recorded and another mode or setting where you can adjust the max db. I don't know if these are are abnormal problems or if maybe everybody gets their fucking eardrums blown out during playback. If this is standard 4 tracking them tascam definitely should have stuck a warming on the front of the unit. I don't really see how the repairs I've made could be doing these things but just incase I should probably tell you about them.
1st-the belt broke so I replaced that. Well kind of. I know I'm gonna hear about how stupid I am but I actually use a rubber band instead of a belt. Im using one small enough that it doesn't have much stretching and left to do so it doesn't slip on the wheel but at the same time shouldn't be putting to much tension on the wheels. Maybe my logic makes no since I don't know.
2nd repair- before I made the first repair I was trying to figure out why it was locked in place and would release the cassette that was in it when I got it. So like an idiot I was pulling back on the heads to try and get them to disengage thinking maybe it was jammed and just need to be unstuck. Stupud stupid me lol I ended up peeling the green chip halfway off the back of the erase head. I then tried to glue it. Didn't work lol. So eventually came across another model that worked very poorly so I figured I would take the erase head from that one and put it into my portaone. It seems to be working fine. Except the playback issue. I'm sorry for writing so much but I figured I'd get better answers if you guys new everything.

I can not really say what is happening without looking at the unit but I would say that it is possible that the play levels have not been set right and the record sensitivity is also messed up as well. When boneheads go in adjusting things they usually do not leave anything alone. You will need to get the tapes required to calibrate the unit and the service manual and go through the calibration procedure. In the many years I have worked on these I never saw one do what you are describing. I did work on these a lot back in the 90's but the shop there is not open anymore.

I can not really say what is happening without looking at the unit but I would say that it is possible that the play levels have not been set right and the record sensitivity is also messed up as well. When boneheads go in adjusting things they usually do not leave anything alone. You will need to get the tapes required to calibrate the unit and the service manual and go through the calibration procedure. In the many years I have worked on these I never saw one do what you are describing. I did work on these a lot back in the 90's but the shop there is not open anymore
so when you say proper tapes for calibration are you referring to the TEAC cassette tapes that they recommend for this unit. if so then im in luck because i actually have a few of them that came with the unit when i got it. its crazy but to buy new ones its like 100 dollars a pop. and i will check online for a service manual and see if that doesnt help my issue. thanks for replying and pointing me in the right direction

Yes alignment tapes are expensive and kind of rare these days. Use them carefully. The MTT150 is a very often used tape the MTT114 is good for azimuth. Teac made a lot of tapes for different reasons like the MTT902 is a mirror tape to check the tape path. Porta Studios were generally made for Chrome tape only. Some of then are higher speed requiring the MXT tape which are even more rare. MXT111 is the high speed tape for setting cassette speed. The MXT116 is a level and azimuth tape.

Yes alignment tapes are expensive and kind of rare these days. Use them carefully. The MTT150 is a very often used tape the MTT114 is good for azimuth. Teac made a lot of tapes for different reasons like the MTT902 is a mirror tape to check the tape path. Porta Studios were generally made for Chrome tape only. Some of then are higher speed requiring the MXT tape which are even more rare. MXT111 is the high speed tape for setting cassette speed. The MXT116 is a level and azimuth tape.
I'll have to look into it. I'm not sure what model my teac cassettes are but I know they are pricey as fuck

Pulling on head wires is never a good idea and you found out one reason why. This is never a good idea no matter what the deck. I did not know the price of the last term so I don't see how sex has anything to do with alignment tapes.

Back