Yamaha AW1600 - will not power on?

danielchappelle

Hello,
I am having trouble with my Yamaha AW1600.

It won't power on.

I have had this problem in the past and an old friend fixed it. Problem is it happened again and I don't have that old friend around.

Now in the past it was something simple, he didn't even charge me.

I tried to take it to Guitar Center but they have no clue.

Can anyone tell me where to take this thing? No reply from Yamaha either -maybe I sent to wrong department.

Anyone have a clue - I hate this thing, but it has important things I recorded on it and I am broke.

Thanks for looking
Daniel Chappelle
danielchappelle@gmail.com

- Are there any lights?
- Can you hear the hard drive or CD burner trying to run?
- Do you have a meter that you can check the power supply output? (appears to be 16vdc output)

Yamaha likely won't provide support for something this old.

'Can anyone tell me where to take this thing?'
Might help to know where you are :)

I did find a service manual, but likely not much help to you.

Thank You Mark

- Are there any lights?
- Can you hear the hard drive or CD burner trying to run?
- Do you have a meter that you can check the power supply output? (appears to be 16vdc output)

Yamaha likely won't provide support for something this old.

'Can anyone tell me where to take this thing?'
Might help to know where you are :)

I did find a service manual, but likely not much help to you.

Mark
Thank you for helping.
There is no power at all. So there is no light or hard drive movement, etc. Stone cold dead.
Now this meter you speak of is that something I can get at Home Depot, and what should I look for or ask for, I am not skilled in these electronic things. Furthermore if I get a meter do I plug my unit into the meter? Or can a meter just test the cable, i.e. what are the chances I just take my power cable to a Home Depot and plug it into a meter in the store, saving me money instead of buying something I will have little to no use for afterwards.
I sincerely thank your kindness in replying and this site is now one of my favorites due to fine people like yourself. All the best to you sir.
sincerely
Dany

Check/replace the fuse in the plug as a first step.
It could be the PSU... A decent TV/electrical repair guy may be able to repair but as its an internal PSU parts could be a bind...

Check/replace the fuse in the plug as a first step.
It could be the PSU... A decent TV/electrical repair guy may be able to repair but as its an internal PSU parts could be a bind...
If it's the PSU, a generic replacement would be cheaper than a repair. The AW1600 uses a PA-300.....
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-Supply®-Electronic-Keyboards/dp/B00DQYWMU8

No fuses internal to the AW1600. Likely a pigtail fuse soldered in the PA-300, but the cases on those aren't exactly easy to open sometimes.

Attachments

• aw1600 ps.jpg
    aw1600 ps.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 31
dave thanks for your input, I hope to get this figured out - I did not know the power unit had a fuse, I am so lost with all this electrical stuff but I soldier on. Dany

Mark, Thanks for the link and the hard work looking into this, much appreciated and really helped me - although not figured out I will look into that amazon thing, since they are pretty good with returns so that should be an easy path to follow. Thanking you from NJ - dany

hello again, new problem, I purchased a new power supply and the machine now flashes, a dullness not a very bright flashing, but there is hope I suppose... anyone know where to go from here.... thanks dany

Hello,
4 1/2 years later I have a similar problem, my AW1600 won't turn on. I think the power is just not getting inside. I am suspecting contact issues. I haven't used it in 10 years. Did you ever get yours fixed?

The OP hasn't been back in 5 years, unlikely he'll respond.

I've got both the AW16G and the AW1600. Both use the external power supply. I would check that the supply is working first. If you don't read any voltage, then you have your answer.

The power switch on my AW16G has broken in the on position. I just used a power strip switch to turn on/off when I was transferring files recently. Make sure the power switch clicks when you press it. I haven't opened the unit up to see if it can be replaced, since I can use it in its current condition.

You might also check on Dijonstock forum. Its not very active these days, but there is a wealth of info on the AW recorders. You might find some similar symptoms.

Hello,
many thanks! Apparently it was the power supply, I was trying a cheap replacement supply because I couldn't find the original one. The voltage was fine when not connected. It's hard to measure the voltage under load. But eventually I was able to determine that the voltage dropped down to 5V when I turned the unit on.

Back