Focusrite Saffire Standalone Mode?

Michael440

Hi all, I've been recording with the Focusrite Saffire liquid 56, and now that it is no longer being supported for an OS beyond Catalina, I googled about alternative ways to connect it (was hoping to find a guide about tablet/smartphone operation) when I saw an article about "standalone mode" which can be uploaded to the interface. I've read it a couple of times but could not understand the application or the result of this mode. Does it allow me to record to an external storage without connecting the interface to a computer? If not, could someone explain me please in plain English what I'll be able to do after activating it?
Thank you!

Last edited:
It probably lets you use it as a converter to and from digital via the ADAT connections, for example to expand the I/O of another interface.

It probably lets you use it as a converter to and from digital via the ADAT connections, for example to expand the I/O of another interface.
I read the PDF file and that looks like what I could determine for it. There was no mention of Tablets or Phones in it, but maybe a call to Focusrite support may help. I think the above statement appears to be true from what I read.

Thanks for your replies. This is good news, on one hand t's not the standalone that rme ufx does (which was my hope) but on the other hand, the eight preapms can still function with another interface.
Will it be possible to use it with an interface like Presonus AudioBox iTwo (which can connect to an iPad)? Do you know of any Android interfaces which can do the same?

Wasn’t that mode just to get the inbuilt mixer working to give a stereo output? I had the same problem with a Lexicon unit when the driver stopped being updated. As soon as the new OS refused to talk to the old driver, it was effectively scrap. I still have it sitting there making me grumpy every tine I see it!

Wasn’t that mode just to get the inbuilt mixer working to give a stereo output? I had the same problem with a Lexicon unit when the driver stopped being updated. As soon as the new OS refused to talk to the old driver, it was effectively scrap. I still have it sitting there making me grumpy every tine I see i
Yes, that's my concern. I planned keeping an older MacBook as it is (Sierra) and using it only for recording - until it crashed recently. So I hope that the Saffire doesn't end as a paperweight.

After reading the PDF with the info about the standalone mode, I know that this mode does allow to use the eight preapms of the Saffire 56 liquid via the ADAT of an interface.
I just need such an interface now.. Can you please give me a recommendation of a simple audio interface with ADAT connectivity, preferably for pc? Or even better, for mobile devices? I would of course bypass the interface's preapms so their quality isn't a factor for me.

Thank you. Correct me if I'm wrong, does the interface need to have eight analog inputs in order to utilize the eight preapms in the Focusrite?
Nope. There's a device that has four ADAT ins and outs but it has zero analog connections.

Nope. There's a device that has four ADAT ins and outs but it has zero analog connections.

I see! Then it's surprising that the cheapest option "happens" to have 8 preapms.
One more option I consider is to add a 100 and buy a used RME UC. I can trust the drivers to be updated in the future, unlike the ones from Focusrite (or Behringer).

Back