Illegal aliens can now get a drivers license in California Newsoms AB60

Should undocumented citizens be able to get drivers licenses?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Nobody is "given" a license. In this state you need to show proof of insurance and pass written and driving tests in order to be issued a license. That's true of anyone who wants to have a driver's license here. It's the same for me as a native Californian as it is for somebody from another state or country who wants to drive here. If you want to drive here, you have demonstrate an understanding of the rules of the road, an ability to safely operate a vehicle, and to have insurance that covers liability for any damage that you may cause while driving. I don't understand why anyone would not want everyone on the road to be subject to those requirements. This bill makes it possible for more people to do so.
I totally agree. Able to drive and qualified and insured. All above board and complying with the law of the country. Anything else just makes a mockery of all other laws and other law abiding citizens. People cant pick and choose what laws we wish to comply with.

Last edited:
I totally agree. Able to drive and qualified and insured. All above board and complying with the law of the country. Anything else just makes a mockery of all other laws and other law abiding citizens. We cant pick and choose what laws we wish to comply with and what laws to ignore because then anybody will be justified to do same with anything that doesnt suit in any country.
Is this written in sarcasm font? It's so hard to tell.

Bullshit. You don't have to have proof of insurance to get a license to drive. You have to prove insured to register a vehicle in your name. The vehicle is insured. The insurance policy specifies who is insured while driving that vehicle.

Why do people intentionally misrepresent, lie?

Nobody is "given" a license. In this state you need to show proof of insurance and pass written and driving tests in order to be issued a license. That's true of anyone who wants to have a driver's license here. It's the same for me as a native Californian as it is for somebody from another state or country who wants to drive here. If you want to drive here, you have demonstrate an understanding of the rules of the road, an ability to safely operate a vehicle, and to have insurance that covers liability for any damage that you may cause while driving. I don't understand why anyone would not want everyone on the road to be subject to those requirements. This bill makes it possible for more people to do so.

I do not live in California. Are you saying in California you cannot get a license to drive unless you are insured? Sorry, but that strikes me as unusual. Not typical, bullshit.

On what is the supposed insurance policy based? Potentially, your friend's hoopty? Your friend's Ferrari? Unknown? Just buy yourself an insurance policy and the insurance company will take care of....whatever cost to remedy a claim? That's not how insurance works, at all.

Geeze, Mick - who pissed in your cornflakes?
"You must show financial responsibility for any vehicle that you own, in case of injury to other people or damage to their property. Most people show financial responsibility by buying auto liability insurance. California law states, "All drivers and all owners of a motor vehicle shall at all times be able to establish financial responsibility and shall at all times carry in the vehicle evidence of the form of financial responsibility in effect for the vehicle."

Geeze, Mick - who pissed in your cornflakes?
"You must show financial responsibility for any vehicle that you own, in case of injury to other people or damage to their property. Most people show financial responsibility by buying auto liability insurance. California law states, "All drivers and all owners of a motor vehicle shall at all times be able to establish financial responsibility and shall at all times carry in the vehicle evidence of the form of financial responsibility in effect for the vehicle."
With that said, there is a minimum amount of liability coverage that's required, which may not cover all damages to all vehicles or persons. That is why many drivers also carry coverage for damage caused by uninsured or underinsured drivers. There is also the option of suing the other party for uncovered damages, but not everyone has the resources to pay for those damages, even if found guilty.

I'm not sure why people who don't even live here are getting so worked up about this issue, or attacking me for my opinion about it. You admit that you don't live here or know the laws, but are perfectly fine with calling me a BSing liar because it doesn't sound like what you know in your own experience. Remarkable.

Yo Whyseye ya know what you say about it being better than them not getting them is true. In order to pass the CDL test they have to learn the rules of the road in the U.S. and that is not a bad thing. With regards to having to show proof of insurance to get that license that'd be great but that isn't required to get a CDL. It is required to get your vehicle registered but not to get a CDL. The idea that someone who is not a legal residence ( see how I learned not to say illegal alien so fast) can get a license is a bit strange. I can't imagine any other country in the world doing such a thing but hey...we're California and we probably have a much higher ratio than most other states and countries.

Well I guess they need to remove this from Youtube now :(

Yo Whyseye ya know what you say about it being better than them not getting them is true. In order to pass the CDL test they have to learn the rules of the road in the U.S. and that is not a bad thing. With regards to having to show proof of insurance to get that license that'd be great but that isn't required to get a CDL. It is required to get your vehicle registered but not to get a CDL. The idea that someone who is not a legal residence ( see how I learned not to say illegal alien so fast) can get a license is a bit strange. I can't imagine any other country in the world doing such a thing but hey...we're California and we probably have a much higher ratio than most other states and countries.

I appreciate your openness to discussing the issue, TAE! I think that you're the only other person who has chimed in here who is actually in CA.
This passage is a direct lift from the article that you quoted: "This law is also a big win for public safety because in order to get a license, applicants will need to show proof of insurance as well as to pass a written test on driving, an actual driving test, and a vision test." That would seem to indicate that insurance would be required to get a CDL (perhaps only under this bill, but that wording seems clear that it is a requisite).

Regarding the language issue. I don't see it as the problem that you and many others do (as evidenced by the Gearslutz thread). To me it's just a question of respect for other people's humanity, but I know that some people find it an attack on the language that they were brought up using. Most of us don't use the n-word or other phrases popular during, say, WWII, although they were in common usage for years - is that because they're not PC, or because they're insulting and demeaning to people? Sometimes we see where we were wrong, learn from it, and try to do better.

Looking at the California DMV website, it doesn't say anything about insurance, but it does mention identity.

"AB 60 driver’s licenses (DL) are for individuals who are unable to provide proof of legal presence in the United States (U.S.), but who meet California DMV requirements and are able to provide proof of identity and California residency."

I'm thinking that the article you quoted was poorly written by someone who misread "identity" as "insurance" and came up with a list of positive effects of everyone having insurance.

As was pointed out, the car is insured, not the driver. Plenty of people living in big cities have driver's licenses but no cars or insurance, they just rent vehicles if needed and pay for the rental insurance.

Somehow the subject of CDL's (commercial drivers license) came up. Most people have CDL's because they drive some sort of truck for a living, they don't necessarily own the truck. The person with the CDL will not hold the insurance, the owner of the truck would insure the truck.

As to the question at hand, I'm torn. Letting people who are here illegally get legitimate licenses doesn't really seem right, it also takes away incentive to go through the process of becoming legal.

I also wonder how many people will take advantage of this, simply because it involves giving your information to the government that you are theoretically afraid is going to find you and toss you out of the country. ( It actually sounds like a sting operations, like when the police send a letter to a guy with warrants, telling him he won a TV, then when he shows up to claim his prize, the cops arrest him.)

I do see the point about being human and making life easier on people who have had a hard time of it.

I'm not sure why people who don't even live here are getting so worked up about this issue, or attacking me for my opinion about it. You admit that you don't live here or know the laws, but are perfectly fine with calling me a BSing liar because it doesn't sound like what you know in your own experience. Remarkable.
Anyone can easily search the laws for obtaining a driver's license in California. Including you. I don't have to live in California to know you do not have to prove you have auto insurance to get a driver's license. I would guess that you are old enough to know that through your own experiences....living in California.

You're stating a falsehood, and attempting to use that falsehood as the most beneficial element of allowing illegal aliens to legally acquire a driver's license in California. Perhaps you were lied to, but you're continuing thet lie rather than search for yourself the facts. Feel free to argue that illegals should be able to legally get a driver's license. But if you lie, or attempt to use a falsehood to support your argument, expect to be called on that lie. Maybe just stick to the facts?

This whole "it'll be great that illegal aliens can get a driver's license because then they'll be insured" is reminiscent of the "it'll be great if we make illegals who are living and working(paid under the table) in this country legal citizens because then they will pay taxes". Lies and propaganda, as far as I am concerned.

Anyone can easily search the laws for obtaining a driver's license in California. Including you. I don't have to live in California to know you do not have to prove you have auto insurance to get a driver's license. I would guess that you are old enough to know that through your own experiences....living in California.

You're stating a falsehood, and attempting to use that falsehood as the most beneficial element of allowing illegal aliens to legally acquire a driver's license in California. Perhaps you were lied to, but you're continuing thet lie rather than search for yourself the facts. Feel free to argue that illegals should be able to legally get a driver's license. But if you lie, or attempt to use a falsehood to support your argument, expect to be called on that lie. Maybe just stick to the facts?

This whole "it'll be great that illegal aliens can get a driver's license because then they'll be insured" is reminiscent of the "it'll be great if we make illegals who are living and working(paid under the table) in this country legal citizens because then they will pay taxes". Lies and propaganda, as far as I am concerned.
Ok, thanks.

Ok, thanks.
Did you do due diligence to search the facts so in the future you will not spread falsehoods among those who will take you at your word and form an opinion based on that falsehood?

Facts are quite relevant to an informed opinion.

Did you do due diligence to search the facts so in the future you will not spread falsehoods among those who will take you at your word and form an opinion based on that falsehood?

Facts are quite relevant to an informed opinion.
You lecturing anyone about spreading falsehoods is both hilarious and deeply ironic.
Nevertheless, rest assured that I will absolutely take your advice to heart. Feel better now, boo?

It's not about feels. It's about you stating an absolute falsehood, absent the utilization of common sense, and I would assume ignoring your own lifelong experience. All to support an agenda. Reading comprehension doesn't appear to be your strong suit either, as a few posts back you posted what essentially proved what you initially said to be wrong. Yet you for some reason thought it proved you correct. Odd. Now apparently you are reluctant to acknowledge you were wrong, stating a falsehood to support an opinion.

You see, you don't get to form an opinion and then manipulate the facts to support that opinion. Others may not so readily ignore their own common sense and lifelong experience, not to mention a simple google search, and will provide a correction.

If I have spread a falsehood feel free to attempt a correction. I'm all for hilarity when warranted.

Apparently if you are a foreigner you don't have to acquire a California driver's license to drive in California. If you are licensed to drive in your home country you're good to go, for up to a year.

So the "it'll be great that illegal aliens can get a driver's license because they will be required to provide proof of insurance" is bullshit. And I would assume they had to pass a test to get a license in their home country, so that's off the "it'll be great" list. It would seem the only problem remaining is their illegal status. Yeah, that's a problem. If your first act in setting foot in this country is an illegal act, yeah, that's a problem. Follow immigration law, don't be illegal. Problem solved.

It should not be that the government accommodates and provides remedies for your problematic illegal status.

Also, doesn't California have the "motor-voter" thing, where you are automatically registered to vote when you get a driver's license at the dept of motor vehicles? Hm, perhaps we've uncovered the real "it'll be great" benefit of allowing illegal aliens to acquire a driver's license?

I was thinking of this one

Also, doesn't California have the "motor-voter" thing, where you are automatically registered to vote when you get a driver's license at the dept of motor vehicles? Hm, perhaps we've uncovered the real "it'll be great" benefit of allowing illegal aliens to acquire a driver's license?

"Driver licences = voters immediately enrolled as legitimate voters." is what I wrote. Post 23 of this thread.
As usual, I use fewer words.

Back