Maybe dumb question about Beyerdynamic DT770s

I'm odd. I don't record hums, and my recordings don't click or clip. None are noisy at a level it's annoying? I firmly believe in mixing out in the mix being a terrible way to work - I fix it BEFORE I press record?
Well aren't you perfect ;) Do you do spoken word stuff? What's your recording set up like?

I'm odd. I don't record hums, and my recordings don't click or clip. None are noisy at a level it's annoying? I firmly believe in mixing out in the mix being a terrible way to work - I fix it BEFORE I press record?
You've maybe missed that OP is new at the craft (both voiceover and recording) is working in a very small, semi-untreated, small space and probably working closer to the mic to try and work against outside noises. A bit of apples and oranges here.

I bought their cheapest option that has de-noise, de-hum, de-click and de-clip.... I am interested in upgrading to the full package... what features specifically do you think would benefit voice editing? I'll youtube some videos to see if they convince me to pull the trigger ;)
I generally only use the de-clip plugin on guitar tracks to reduce pick noise, and then I have to listen carefully.

The Standard version, with the standalone product, gives you more powerful tools, like the "spectral de-noise" that I have found works pretty well if given a bit of "blank" recording to learn from, when trying to reduce background level. Then, when you get to looking at specific types of noises, the UI makes it easy to isolate things like sibilance and mouth-clicks both in time and frequency, i.e., you can literally draw a box around it, and try both the "canned" removal (named for a type) things, or just go back to a de-noise tools and define a bounding area that gets used to replace that bit you want attenuated or removed.

What I think @rob aylestone is suggesting is that a lot of this work can be avoided if you have a recording that lacks initial background noise, and the space+mic+talent produces audio that, when recorded, doesn't accentuate minor faults. There's probably some of that going on, but you don't have a studio and recording engineer doing your recordings, so, like I said, not quite the same. I have no doubt that some of it is your space and technique, but you'll have to experiment with mic placement, technique, maybe more effective room treatment, whatever, to get to where you've got things flowing smoothly and with minimal amount of work required in post.

Good luck.

I have the 80 ohm 770 Pros, and they are a wonderful thing. I often wonder if I would like the open back version (880s?) more, but it doesn't really matter.

They are, IMO, fairly flat, which is what you want 'monitoring' headphones for. They don't have the isolation for tracking, like my 280s do, but that's why it's nice if you can get more than one kind, for different puposes.

I guess I ordered the 80 ohm and not 32...and amazon sent me some used headphones instead of new ones like I ordered... this is the second time this has happened this month that I swear I bought something new and the sent me something used...

ANYWAYS they are a lot louder than the 250 ohms. :) hopefully nothing wrong with them.
Yet another reason I don't use Amazon unless I absolutely have to. MF, GC, Sweetwater, etc. are the way to go if you insist on getting them online.

Yet another reason I don't use Amazon unless I absolutely have to. MF, GC, Sweetwater, etc. are the way to go if you insist on getting them online.

Yeah I prefer to shop online

you could not pay me to go into a Sam Ash or Guitar Center ever again in my life. Guitar Center is my personal hell on earth lmao

Yeah I prefer to shop online

you could not pay me to go into a Sam Ash or Guitar Center ever again in my life. Guitar Center is my personal hell on earth lmao
It's like a crack den for me. But musical instruments and certain accessories are things I need to try out in store first. How do you know what you like from 10 different models unless you hear them? Eventhen, it's not a perfect situation, but certainly better than buying them based strictly on some random internet people's recommendations. Now, something like a power amp or a headphone amp, yeah, I can see that. And you can hear pedals in a bunch of different situations on youtube. But speakers, headphones and instruments, I have to experience them in person.

It's like a crack den for me. But musical instruments and certain accessories are things I need to try out in store first. How do you know what you like from 10 different models unless you hear them? Eventhen, it's not a perfect situation, but certainly better than buying them based strictly on some random internet people's recommendations. Now, something like a power amp or a headphone amp, yeah, I can see that. And you can hear pedals in a bunch of different situations on youtube. But speakers, headphones and instruments, I have to experience them in person.

As a woman GC is one of the most unwelcoming places I’ve ever been. The last time I was there I was standing at the register waiting to pay while the cashier was on the phone and when he got off the phone he tried to flag the man standing behind me up to pay and I had to be like “hello I also exist” and he was like “huh I did see you standing literally in front of me I don’t know why I did that” and the time before that I came in and asked for the exact thing I needed by name and that guy laughed at me and said he didn’t think what I was looking for existed and then I found it and he was like “oh gee”.

10 years of dating a musician and being dragged to GC while old dudes act like I should wait outside while the men talk has uh...really soured me on the store. (And these all happened in different locations so it’s not just one bad store).

I’m more comfortable negotiating with a mechanic by myself than I am entering a GC.

Rob would be described as 'Very Experienced' and someone well worth listening too. (Aren't I a brown nose).

But back on your subject. Are you sure these voice recordings really need to be 100% perfect? I really doubt that most are or have the elocution of a 1940's BBC announcer.
Ideally yes, especially if someone is paying me to produce their audiobook for ACX which has notoriously high standards.

Right now I’m on small gig websites but I’d like to continue to grow as a VO and producer and be a one-stop shop for high quality VO. Little by little I’m trying to understand the technical side of audio engineering so I can know what I’m talking about and be a knowledgeable producer. I really want to do all of my own producing because I have pretty bad asthma and I have to cut around some breathing issues which would make me becoming a union studio VO where some else edits for me very unlikely since my issues would cause them more work than someone without asthma. Also I don’t want to go anywhere or deal with anyone besides the client or have to wear a bra, so doing this all on my own at home is much more my style lol.

Basically I want to quit my shitty full time job and do audio recordings full time. In only two months on Fiverr alone I’m making about half of my salary per month and like I said before I’m going to be launching an adult service soon, so I don’t think my goal of going full time is unattainable. Anything I can do to be competitive, diversify, and get more work is beneficial to me. :)

Idk man, I don’t know what’s controversial about saying I want to be good at the thing I’m selling to people lol.

higher quality = more jobs, more discerning clients, higher pay

it’s a competitive field. If my recording has mouth noises and dropped letters and inconsistent room noise and the other person doesn’t why would I get the job.

and honestly, as far as the adult content, I’ve found those buyers to be much much more discerning than my commercial buyers since people into the audio-only adult niche are really looking for an immersive experience and many of them are serious audiophiles.

I just re-read some of these posts and being as you have explained all else, please tell us about the bra. Because I really cant figure that one out. Does it introduce noise below or above -60db's?
I mean with knockers like these I'm surprised my voice even makes it to the microphone

The bra intrigues me too!

Seriously though - we have so m much headroom nowadays that clipping is almost a feature of the past - equally, with the noise floor so low, a recording that doesn't get close to the top is not an issue either. I have to own up to looking at my chair, looking at the interface in the rack on the wall and thinking do I really need to get up and turn that knob from 6 to 7, or down to 5 - so I don't bother. I can't remember the last time I had a clipping problem, and equally, if I listen carefully sometimes I might have recorded a bit of computer fan noise if the door to the cupboard where the computers live was slightly open. I just cannot ever imagine using a plug in when it's just easier to know your gear well enough to know how clean recordings will happen. I know that I will have to get up and tweak the gain when I put a 414 or 87 on a sax, close in for the tone. Equally, I know if I pick up an acoustic guitar, I won't if the thing I recorded last is the same ballpark volume.

No hums, no buzzes or interference. If I got a hum or buzz, I'd not use a plugin, I'd fix the damn thing.

The bra intrigues me too!

Seriously though - we have so m much headroom nowadays that clipping is almost a feature of the past - equally, with the noise floor so low, a recording that doesn't get close to the top is not an issue either. I have to own up to looking at my chair, looking at the interface in the rack on the wall and thinking do I really need to get up and turn that knob from 6 to 7, or down to 5 - so I don't bother. I can't remember the last time I had a clipping problem, and equally, if I listen carefully sometimes I might have recorded a bit of computer fan noise if the door to the cupboard where the computers live was slightly open. I just cannot ever imagine using a plug in when it's just easier to know your gear well enough to know how clean recordings will happen. I know that I will have to get up and tweak the gain when I put a 414 or 87 on a sax, close in for the tone. Equally, I know if I pick up an acoustic guitar, I won't if the thing I recorded last is the same ballpark volume.

No hums, no buzzes or interference. If I got a hum or buzz, I'd not use a plugin, I'd fix the damn thing.
To clarify, clipping isn't an issue :) I just mentioned it as it was part of the simple RX Isotope package I purchased. My main issues are room noise, which.... I know its not an issue for some people and I'm well within the noise floor allowable by ACX, but if I'm working on projects outside of ACX I like to reduce the room noise because some clients are looking to cast a part and will be cutting up my audio and adding other characters.

And then my other issue is dealing with the noise around me. Unfortunately, my set up is very far from ideal. I live next to a freeway in a shitty area in southern california so a lot of loud bass from cars, unmuffled motorcycles, neighbors playing music, car alarms, etc. For those I just have to stop and wait for them to pass and do a new take, but editing it all out takes time.

When I get a minute I'm going to post some samples for feedback on editing. I paid someone on Fiverr to help me with editing and I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with what their process is in comparison to what I already do, so I'm going to post a comparison them for some blind feedback soon.

When I get a minute I'm going to post some samples for feedback on editing. I paid someone on Fiverr to help me with editing and I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with what their process is in comparison to what I already do, so I'm going to post a comparison them for some blind feedback soon.
You can send me a link to a raw (24-bit, unprocessed or normalized) track (short-ish, and something not involving bras, please), and some instructions what you want cleaned up, and I can do a video with RX 8 showing how I'd do it. Then you can decide if it's an improvement or something you'd want to tackle.

You can send me a link to a raw (24-bit, unprocessed or normalized) track (short-ish, and something not involving bras, please), and some instructions what you want cleaned up, and I can do a video with RX 8 showing how I'd do it. Then you can decide if it's an improvement or something you'd want to tackle.

Thats very kind of you, thank you. :) I'll get something together. As I mentioned, my recordings are all bra-free.

Just guessing but probably 32 ohms is about as low as you can go and still get "good enough" quality when driven by a miniscule headphone amp in a smartphone, ipod/mp3 player, Sony Walkman, transistor radio, et al, over a coupla/few feet of tiny wires. I.e., it's a consumer grade standard due to amplifier and connection limitations. Higher impedance ones are just more standard, though perhaps an artifact, of when studios were driving headphones over long cables probably from the control room, vs. now where headphone distribution systems probably use Ethernet (or digital transmitters!) to get audio to local mixers/receivers. (Did old stereo receivers even have a separate headphone amp, or was it just voltage/current dropped tap off the main amp??)
It could also be that your 'cheapo' Amazon headphones have an increased bass response, making them seem louder. I have the Beyerdynamic headphones and they're amazing for monitoring and mixing. Louder is not always better - in fact, I prefer to listen back and mix at a lower volume anyway, as it gives me a better reference for how things are sounding together. Most industry pros will do the same thing.

If you have a bad room, with noise - then the only solution without sorting it is to record really close in to maximise wanted sound to unwanted sound ratio. This introduces all sorts of issues of course. Have you tried one of those screens - that between mic and noise source can only help. How much, depends on how bad it is. Personally - if you think you need to resort to clever noise reduction, the recording space is just too poor.

Back