How would you setup what I have? Some ideas and guidance if you will.

moodcreator

Looking for help from people who have been in the same position I now am. It really will be a matter of setting out a process flow, and I happy to take advices from other people's experiences.

Hi all, I have been "messing" about with home music making for many years, mostly entirely midi based, using Cubase on an Atari ST.

I have finally admitted to myself that as my equipment list has expanded, it has led to more distraction rather that making things easier as it should. I probably came up with more complete hooks or songs, with just one or two synths and a four track.

Whenever I fire up the kit, I start with all the optimism of knowing almost everything is possible, then get that sinking feeling of over thinking where or how to start, so end up doing nowt.

I'd like to address this, with the help of those who have had a similar experience, and how they approached sorting it out.

My main objective is to get the creativity going, by having easy access to most of the good functionality of the stuff have.

I must say that I am not a trained musician, but more have an ear for what I want to hear, so will need tools to get me there.

I would like to adopt the process flow of someone who has a similar experience to my own.

In an idea world, where I would like to be is have a basic setup where it isn’t a mammoth task to get started each time, some sort of structure and setup that works for most projects, be it just trying to build the start of a melody,

Simple Objectives:
  • Easily get an idea down and recorded so I can build on it.
  • Use tools like the chord utility in Cubase to play chords quickly to either start off a composition or enhance it
  • Be able to easily record vocals and guitar on the fly when inspiration hits.
  • Be creative on the fly by looping to see what works.

Ok here is a list of the equipment/tools that I have
  • PC (32 gig i9-9900) Windows 10 64 bit
  • Cubase 11 pro (PC)
  • Berhinger UMC404HD USB Audio audio interface
  • AKAI MPK49 Midi Keyboard
  • iPad with AKAI MPC Software, GarageBand and synth software.
  • FATAR SL-880 88 Key Keyboard
  • Shure 58 mic
  • Rocktron Banshee Talkbox
  • AKAI MPC Studio Black
  • AKAI MPD218 midi controller
  • Bass Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Electric Acoustic Guitar.
  • Alesis Nitro Drum Kit
  • Boss RC 505 loopstation (new)
  • Propellerheads Reason 5
I also have some legacy midi gear as follows:

• Roland VM7100 mixing desk and console (faders have some issues, so not in use at the moment – Would repair and recommission if it was worth it)
  • VSR-880 Hard disk recorder
  • AKAI S1100 Sampler
  • AKAI S950 Sampler
  • Emu Morpheus
  • Roland JV880
  • Yamaha TX81Z
  • Yamaha TG55
  • Alesis SR16 drum machine
  • Roland SH101 Synth
  • Berhinger UMC404HD USB Audio audio interface
  • AKAI MPK49 Midi Keyboard
  • iPad with AKAI MPC Software, GarageBand and synth software.
  • FATAR SL-880 88 Key Keyboard
  • Shure 58 mic
  • Rocktron Banshee Talkbox
  • AKAI MPC Studio Black
  • AKAI MPD218 midi controller
  • Bass Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Electric Acoustic Guitar.
  • Alesis Nitro
  • Boss RC 505 loopstation (new)
I also have some legacy midi gear as follows:

• Roland VM7100 mixing desk and console (faders have some issues, so not in use at the moment – Would repair and recommission if it was worth it)
  • VSR-880 Hard disk recorder
  • AKAI S1100 Sampler
  • AKAI S950 Sampler
  • Emu Morpheus
  • Roland JV880
  • Yamaha TX81Z
  • Yamaha TG55
  • Alesis SR16 drum machine
  • Roland SH101 Synth

Looking for help

In an idea world, where I would like to be is have a basic setup where it isn’t a mammoth task to get started each time, some sort of structure and setup that works for most projects, be it just trying to build the start of a melody,
Be Basic. Downsize and simplify. Use the interface with mic, midi controller, and drum pads. Don't overwhelm yourself with equipment. Make the basic song structure then add complexity to that.

I agree with Lazer, get your basic setup going, get something working, then add the equipment as you are expanding the song. Once you get a basic flow established, then you might have everything hooked up and you can then free form.

I have something much simpler, Ableton, APC controller and Mic, then I just start working with various plug ins, and so forth. Ableton is built for this, so it makes it pretty easy to just free form as I don't need external loopers and such.

I think you will use all of your equipment, but I don't think all of it needs to be live in one setting, that is why there is multi tracks, use them.

Thanks for the responses so far. To help with the downsize, any must have VST's that will cover the core needs with some room to experiment, without feeling the need to get too distracted?

I am thinking if I had Cubase at the core, a project template that I can load up quickly with 60% of what I am likely to need. I can get up and going each time I get the urge, without it taking too much time? Any suggestions or examples of your own setup would be greatly appreciated.

Re the ableton, I was thinking about this as have seen people doing good things quite simply, but as I have cubase 11 already, would probably be a good place for me to just get this setup nice and locked first.

I'd consider upgrading your Reason. When they added SSL 9000K emulation at R6 it totally changed my workflow. I believe the upgrade is like 129 bucks.

Back