Is there any way to connect wireless headphones to Zoom H6 for monitoring?

Most wireless headphones use BlueTooth. You would need to connect a transmitter to the H6. BlueTooth tends to have some latency to it, though some of the transmitters I've seen advertise low latency, whatever that means.

I'm guessing you could use a BlueTooth transmitter plugged into the headphone ouput. Something like this should work. https://www.taotronics.com/products/tt-ba01-portable-bluetooth-transmitter It looks like they run $30 on Amazon. They are designed to add BlueTooth audio to things like TVs. I've never used one, so I don't know how efficient they are.

I know that I get some latency on my JBL BlueTooth headset. It really shows up on video. They are ok for casual music listening, or for making phone calls but I wouldn't try to used them for recording purposes where timing is critical. If you are monitoring your speaking, it might sound like an echo.

Reactions: TAE
Yep what Talisman said...no bueno for recording as the time delay is too great...maybe someday with new technology but not with current bluetooth ..it would be nice not to be tethered but it is the only way to hear the playback in almost real time.

If you want quality wireless with little or no delay, a professional IEM system is the way to go.

Even an analog wireless headphone system from 25 years ago would work though the sound quality might not be ideal.

You don't say what the reason for this is, i.e., what you're doing, so just guessing... Unless you're moving around a lot, I'd stick with wired. If it's for video and you don't want the headphones look then get some decent IEMs and an extension cable, with the wires going down your back for a less obvious monitor setup. If you're using the H6 as a USB interface, you can try just changing the DAW/app's audio output to the system audio and use the Bluetooth that's probably built into the computer. There will likely be latency, but you have to decide if it matters.

I use a couple of Sennheiser RS 120 II connected to my Zoom R8. There must be some latency but much less than when I have tried my Sennheiser RS 175 (that has some kind of digital conversion that creates latency) or my Blue Tooth phones... The Sennheiser RS 120 II don't have the digital conversion stuff and is (I think) purely analog and radio witch creates minimal latency. They do produce some noise but I can live with that. And when recording my guitar (just for fun - no professional requirements) I have the guitar wirelessly connected as well as the wireless headphones and its just much more pleasing than having to mess around with chords and cables. :-)

Bluetooth is a digital data transmission medium - it isn't analogue so there has to be delay for the coding/decoding - how much comes down to design (and cost). The snag is that 30ms+ figures are common - people tend to view less than 11-12ms as instantaneous on wired systems and digital computer audio. The latest bluetooth species a bit better, but the ones that claim shorter latency also tend to be not as nice sounding. Maybe you cannot have good codecs and quick codecs at the same time?

Back