Song recorded and transferred to laptop will not play

You're a little shy of giving us enough information to be any help.

How was it recorded, i.e., onto what kind of system? Standalone recorder, smartphone, through an interface into a software app (DAW), etc. What is the file type (WAV, MP3, etc.)? At least for starters...

Yes, all the above but first install Audacity on the laptop. There are very few audio formats that will not play. It will also Export almost any file to almost any other, i.e. convert them.
Standard 'pro' audio files are ".wav" most stuff around the net is MP3 and usually smashed to a very low bit rate.

Dave.

2nd guess: The clip is a proprietary extension and the export program is not on the laptop. At which point @ecc83 's suggestion is gold, or installing the DAW or whatever you made the clip in on the laptop would resolve the problem. OR you could export the file from the DAW in a different (WAV/MP3/etc.) format that is supported by the programs already ON the laptop.

Perfectly normal when you go between machines. audio file types should be a standard, but we add extra bits, because we can and change sample rates and with compressed formats we change the rules over the years. On my studio machine, I export from Cubase and tweak in sound forge, and every now and then it wont play because I accidentally changed something vital. You need to be methodical and look at the exact format of the unplaying file on the machine that created it.

It wasn't normal for me in my studio but now I work in two locations, with a NAS drive, I load in Cubase files from old projects and some are silent. Usually those with wav files, but occasionally mp3 and flacs also don’t play. It also happens in Adobe premiere where there is a file that gets muted. I’m assuming it’s dome kind of driver issue, as a cure is simply to open the file in say, audition on the edit machine, then save it with the same file name. Cubase then plays it on the next load!

Interesting. Might be explain why we used to have issues from time to time when I sent Jimmy stuff to work on.
I thought a wav was a wav, but what do I know? :ROFLMAO:

The only time I can't play a WAV is when I try to load a 24bit file into a really old version of SoundForge which can't read anything above 16bit. But in that case it won't even load.

Back