Mancaves

Oh man Atari now you're dating yourself. I knew a beast of a keyboard player in early 2000 using the Atari stuff. It was very cool for that place and space in time.

My advice is walk away from the old stuff and embrace this amazing brave new world of music recording tools out there. Being as you have to go through a learning curve either way and help with the Atari world is going to be limited. On something like Ableton or Reaper there are literally 1000's of videos and groups all working together to help ejamakate ignoramous's like me.

In todays world with things like Ableton and Reaper that stuff from 20years ago IMHO is an exercise in futility and very restricted when compared. Mind you I have not actually embraced any of it other than using Reaper as a multitrack audio recorder to the minimum of it's limits. These days the keyboards that are out there for under $1500 that are "work stations" are powerful sequencing beast. I just sold my MODX8 for the new and improved...( nah just more memory) MODX7+ I'm loving it for the sounds but the workstation is just sitting there yelling at me DUDE! USE ME! But not yet. Time is the enemy .tick tock tick tock...damn.. Oh well I have a gig tomorrow at some Veterans event so I need to go woodshed.... Later man!
I have Cakewalk DAW, I just can let the old stuff go. I am old and scared and it gives me a comfort blanket 🤣🤣😉👍

Oh man Atari now you're dating yourself. I knew a beast of a keyboard player in early 2000 using the Atari stuff. It was very cool for that place and space in time.

My advice is walk away from the old stuff and embrace this amazing brave new world of music recording tools out there. Being as you have to go through a learning curve either way and help with the Atari world is going to be limited. On something like Ableton or Reaper there are literally 1000's of videos and groups all working together to help ejamakate ignoramous's like me.

In todays world with things like Ableton and Reaper that stuff from 20years ago IMHO is an exercise in futility and very restricted when compared. Mind you I have not actually embraced any of it other than using Reaper as a multitrack audio recorder to the minimum of it's limits. These days the keyboards that are out there for under $1500 that are "work stations" are powerful sequencing beast. I just sold my MODX8 for the new and improved...( nah just more memory) MODX7+ I'm loving it for the sounds but the workstation is just sitting there yelling at me DUDE! USE ME! But not yet. Time is the enemy .tick tock tick tock...damn.. Oh well I have a gig tomorrow at some Veterans event so I need to go woodshed.... Later man!
You make a lot of sense my friend but sense is not what I am about.

There is no reason why I should still keep an old Atari, there is no reason why I built up all this 30 year old outboard gear, there is no reason why I bought 2 old ADAT's.

Of course you can do it all better on a free older DAW version.

Who can explain? Why do people love vintage cars and antiques? I just love old recording stuff and tape decks and vinyl. I just put a Doobie Bros album on my stereo and when the stylus hit the vinyl and I heard that kerchunch and Listen To The Music came on it floated me away 🥰🥰😉👍👍👍

• Love
Reactions: TAE
I just put a Doobie Bros album on my stereo
Oh Dude...you hit the heart strings on that one......Circa 1973 I had a Dodge van all tricked out and in the bedroom area I had a bitchen quad system set up with an 8 track player that had discreet quad. Aside from a few other albums, I had the captain and me in discrete quad...Oh man that was a fun one to lay back there and get blown away...good shit Maynard.

Oh Dude...you hit the heart strings on that one......Circa 1973 I had a Dodge van all tricked out and in the bedroom area I had a bitchen quad system set up with an 8 track player that had discreet quad. Aside from a few other albums, I had the captain and me in discrete quad...Oh man that was a fun one to lay back there and get blown away...good shit Maynard.

I think that was a Cali highway under construction in 73. I think you can take any meaning you wish from that photo but to me its kinda... I am an old fashioned man in this modern world?
Just love it, proud to be an old fart... if I'm honest I was an old fart when I was 21.
8-track !? We should bring them back and start a retro thread for car 8-tracks and Quadrophonic stereo systems, bring em back!! 🥰🥰🥰😉😉😉👍👍👍👍
I cant think of anything better than blasting Captain album in the Dodge running down the highway in the 70's. 🥰😉👍👍

Stick this on yer car stereo next time TAE.
😉🥰🥰👍👍

You should do a bit of Jackson in your band, easy piano for you I reckon but lovely simple feel and groove xxx

I love all music styles... I love metal and rock, I love easy listening and folk, I love classical and I love jazz, I love Burt and I love soul and 60's music, I love the Beatles very much.
But most of all I love the 70's... The Doobies and the Eagles and Steely Dan and Poco and Jackson Browne etc etc and many more xxx

Amen xxxx

My wife loved this song so much and wanted me to play it for her. It used to drive me crazy back in the day before the internet and You Tube. I was in a guitar shop in the 90s and a guy was playing it. I asked him how he played it and he told me.... oh its just slack key open tuning G major, Patrick uses slack key a lot.

Bloody hell! All this time I was trying to learn a song from slack key in standard tuning. No wonder I found it so hard.
The same situation happened with the Rain Song by Zep. That is a different guitar tuning

Rockin Down the Highway is a phenomenal concert video. The DVD is on the shelf next to me. I even ripped the audio to put on the flash drive for the car.

I remember a friend of mine being surprised that Michael McDonald didn't start the band. All she had ever heard were the What a Fool Believes/Minute by Minute era.

Rockin Down the Highway is a phenomenal concert video. The DVD is on the shelf next to me. I even ripped the audio to put on the flash drive for the car.

I remember a friend of mine being surprised that Michael McDonald didn't start the band. All she had ever heard were the What a Fool Believes/Minute by Minute era.
I love Mike so much and originaly he was quite shy. You have to remember he was only 24 when he joined the Doobies after being a session singer. He had done some work for the Dan and the Skunk recommended him after Baxter joined the Doobies for Stampede after Donald and Walter decided to be a duo with session players.
It all changed and had a direct impact on the direction of the band. The evidence is a bit well unclear. They said Tommy took time off coz he was exhausted.
That could be true or was it too much gange?

By the time he came back ... Streets .... had been recorded and the Doobies had changed. I cant think of a greater transition between a southern country rock album like Stampede and Taking it To the Streets which was a very urban white Northern soul album. Massive difference in style. For fans of the Doobies 1976 must have been like WTFF!!!???

I love all music styles... I love metal and rock, I love easy listening and folk, I love classical and I love jazz, I love Burt and I love soul and 60's music, I love the Beatles very much.
But most of all I love the 70's... The Doobies and the Eagles and Steely Dan and Poco and Jackson Browne etc etc and many more xxx

Amen xxxx
Along with Foghat, Jo Jo Gunn, J. Geils ( Oh did we use to rock with Whammer Jammer) , Neil After (the Gold Ruch), The Beatles, Billion Dollar babies, Abraxas, Bridge of Sighs... such a shitty time for most excellent music...

I met this cat working a booth at a trade show in Vegas last year. We're born on the same day a few years apart. This was a quartz countertop manufacturer that we were both (through a mutual Chinese friend) working this booth for. He's a white dude that grew up here in Cali but somehow ended up in China 25+ years ago and married a Chinese girl. Has two sons that are like media big deals in the China music scene. I guess the boys have done pretty well $$$$. He moved back to the states with his wife a few years ago...Like me, when he was young he tried but did not "Make It" in the biz...He's a guitar player... I may have posted this in another thread back when he sent me pics of his studio here in Cali. We just connected on Facebook yesterday and I saw the pic and was reminded of this thread so I thought I'd drop it here...whew long story

This is his fricking man cave..what an asshole Hopefully we will jam at some point...

1668264563992.png

This is Kent's Chinese story...since then he has come back to live in the U.S, he's a pretty bad ass artist and he tells his story of the battle between painting and music and money.
Jerk speaks fluent Madarin... been going there since 2007 and I know about 10 words...

Along with Foghat, Jo Jo Gunn, J. Geils ( Oh did we use to rock with Whammer Jammer) , Neil After (the Gold Ruch), The Beatles, Billion Dollar babies, Abraxas, Bridge of Sighs... such a shitty time for most excellent music...
As you said, lots of "most excellent music".

I alway get a bit tickled when I see Jay Ferguson's name on TV and movie soundtracks. That's quite a far piece from the days of playing Run Run Run in Jo Jo Gunne!

As you said, lots of "most excellent music".

See Jay Ferguson playing Run Run Run in Jo Jo Gunne!
I got to see them opening for Alice Cooper..Flo and Eddy were there also, same concert

Run Run Run is a fricking kick ass song and they were on their game that night.

I met this cat working a booth at a trade show in Vegas last year. We're born on the same day a few years apart. This was a quartz countertop manufacturer that we were both (through a mutual Chinese friend) working this booth for. He's a white dude that grew up here in Cali but somehow ended up in China 25+ years ago and married a Chinese girl. Has two sons that are like media big deals in the China music scene. I guess the boys have done pretty well $$$$. He moved back to the states with his wife a few years ago...Like me, when he was young he tried but did not "Make It" in the biz...He's a guitar player... I may have posted this in another thread back when he sent me pics of his studio here in Cali. We just connected on Facebook yesterday and I saw the pic and was reminded of this thread so I thought I'd drop it here...whew long story

This is his fricking man cave..what an asshole Hopefully we will jam at some point...

View attachment 123002
Thats not a mancave, that is like Daryl Hall's front room from the "Live at Daryl's House' videos.
Bloody hell man ! Makes my liittle home studio room look like a broom cupboard !
🤣🤣🤣🥰🥰🥰🥰👍👍

Back