What did you have for dinner tonight?

Nice. On the grill? Smoker? Total time barebacked, or part of the time wrapped in foil?

The wife ordered dinner (door dash) from some smokehouse type joint the other night. I often make my own BBQ sauce when i'm cooking, but the sauce that came with that order was pretty damn good. Thick, obviously spiked pretty good with molasses. But the kicker, or at least i'm pretty sure, strong black coffee. I've heard of black coffee spiked BBQ sauce, but not sure until now if i've ever had any, or would even care for it. I'll have to experiment next time I make a sauce.
275F in the oven, a nice rub on both sides. Small amount of water in the pan, then covered in tin foil. Let it go for 2.5 hours, then uncover and slather with BBQ sauce and broil each side.

275F in the oven, a nice rub on both sides. Small amount of water in the pan, then covered in tin foil. Let it go for 2.5 hours, then uncover and slather with BBQ sauce and broil each side.

There ya go. That's about how I do it. Only difference I wrap 'em tight in foil. I used to have an assortment of grills/smokers. They all kind of reached their life expectancy, so the wife put her foot down and made me trash 'em all. It was a sad day, heh. I only have the little Weber kettle grill now, Smokey Joe I think it's called. I've given some grills a look, but since the pandemic it's just been the wife and I, no gatherings. So ribs are done in the oven. Of course low and slow is the key, but the piece de resistance is hitting it under the broiler after the sauce. I hit it once on the bottom, but the top gets a 2, 3, maybe even 4 thin coats of sauce, each coat almost candied under the broiler.

I used to love to cook. More and more it just seems to be a chore. Even the thought of eating. I mean, of course we must eat to live. But the seemingly never ending, "what're we going to eat?", "what're you going to eat?".... eat eat eat eat......just shoot me in the dang dangit head and get it over with.

Didn't feel like cooking. It's Sunday and I just didn't feel like doing anything. Besides, I was a little hungover because I got 'bout fucked up as a football bat last night. Easy no fuss no muss.....I had Campbell's Chunky Soup, "Pub Style Chicken Pot Pie". Ate it sttraight out of the pan I used to heat it. Fewer dishes to wash. I'm a thinker! It sucked. Watery. I ate it with Cheez-It crackers, threw some in. Yay, Cheez-It crackers to the rescue. It still sucked.

Let's make this a happy thread with lots of participation, shall we? What'd you eat for dinner. It doesn't necessarily have to be dinner. Or we could stick to dinner, see how this one goes, and if a smashing success I could start a "What did you eat for lunch today?" thread. Awesome, so let's get started.
Mexican scambled eggs (about 3 nice servings). Good for breakfast, lunch or supper. Cut up two or 3 strips of bacon into small pieces. Cut up half a large onion, mixed bell peppers, mushrooms and stir fry / sautee with garlic bits and strips of bacon. Scramble about ten large eggs. Cook them and add all the stir fried veggies along with Salsa. Optional chili powder.

Those boiled and then baked eggs, I bet them boys would bounce, rubber super ball bounce.

I've told this story here before. Maybe it's a boring story, I don't know, but i'll tell it again anyway.

Back when I was a kid,...I don't know 10, 11 maybe...my brother had a newspaper route. He delivered the papers but hated collecting the money. So he would give me the little receipt book and I would go door to door to collect. On the route there was a drug store....walk into the lobby one door leads to the pharmacy, the other to "The Sandwich Shop". Now I don't know how many sandwiches they sold in there, seems to me it was mostly just guys sitting at the counter drinking beer. So I go in there. Up on the counter they have this huge jar filled with pink pickled eggs. It was kind of mesmerizing, staring into that big jar of pink pickled orbs, like some kind of weird science experiment. One of the guys at the counter, "Hey, boy, i'll give you a dollar you eat one of them eggs." I look at him and slowly turn back to that jar of them pink pickled eggs, slowly shaking my head, nooo. Now he didn't know it but my grandmother made pickled eggs, colored with beet juice, I think. I loved them! I have to admit, though, these eggs looked a little scary. Then another guy at the counter, "I got a dollar. That's 2 dollars boy, you eat one of them eggs." I shake my head, nooo. But I realize, i've got 'em where I want 'em. 3 dollars, I hold out, nooo. 4, 5, 6 dollars...I think it got up to about 10 bucks or more. The lady behind the counter scoops out one of them eggs and I pop the whole thing in my mouth. Sure, I was putting on, eyes watering, but I might have genuinely gagged once or twice. These weren't my grandmothers pickled eggs. I stuff the money in my pocket and light out of there like I was licked. Every once in a while when I was collecting paper route money I would wander back in there and straight over to that big jar of them pink pickled eggs. "There's that boy that eats them pickled eggs. Hey boy, I got a dollar you eat one of them eggs." I knew I had 'em, all over again.

I dont think I could eat a pickled egg..........yuk!

Actually just put on cooker a pot of home made chicken and mushroom vegetable soup for our lunch and it's 4.00am in the morning here the time we get up.

Fried up a venison tenderloin tonight, with sauteed onions and mushrooms in gravy over white rice. Soooo gooood!

I dont think I could eat a pickled egg..........yuk!

Have you ever put hot sauce on a boiled egg? I mean yeah it's not exactly the same thing, but given many hot sauces are vinegar based it's sort of kind of a little bit similar.

Or let me put this another way. Hey, boy, I got a dollar you eat one of them pickled eggs. lol

Pickling is an excellent way to preserve that which you have an over abundance to consume before they go off. The bonus?...any time you get a hankerin for an egg, scoop one out and you're golden.

Fried up a venison tenderloin tonight, with sauteed onions and mushrooms in gravy over white rice. Soooo gooood!

Yeah, that sounds good. Something i've been curious to try for some time but have yet to give a go.....juniper berries. Like a juniper berry, port wine, and stock sauce. Preferably a demi glace based sauce. I was thinking maybe a pork tenderloin, but I bet venison would be out of this world good.

76BE15E4-004B-45EF-A4FC-1EB613BA1316.jpegI love making and eating beet pickled eggs.

My best dish I can cook is Disney’s ratatouille, which is properly called confit byaldi.

The image is what I made. Takes about an hour for that one portion. An extra 15 minutes for each added portion, as it take 45 minutes to cook them all together. Tastes as good as it looks.

I neglected to mention with the pickled egg story. Once I teared up and gagged them guys on the bar stools what paid me to egg one of them eggs 'bout fell off their barstools laughing they ass off. That was the entire point, I guess I botched that story. I cain't do nothing right. Dang.

Pickled eggs.. This reminds me of a magic trick done by a magician who came to our school when I was in the 3rd grade.

He placed a clear, empty, old-school milk bottle on the table in front of him. He then lit a small piece of paper on fire and dropped it into the bottle. Then he quickly placed what looked like a fresh, shell-on egg pointy end down into the mouth of the bottle. The paper extinguished and a second later the egg began squeezing it's way through the smaller neck of the bottle, then... PLOOMP! The egg shot to the bottom of the bottle.

As we all sat there with our jaws agape, he was cool.. he told us how he did it.

The Rubber Egg

Edited for clarity 11-23-2021 3:45 pm

Last edited:
I had one cup of grits and one plant-based breakfast sausage patty.

I had to make the switch to a vegetarian diet 16 years ago and that pretty much necessitated preparing my own meals; giving up fast foods and delis.
I love grits! To the best of my recollection I had my first taste of grits when I was five years old.
Sixty Eight years ago.
Other than the grits my grandmother cooked long ago, my best eating was Shrimp and Grits close to Battery Row in Charleston, South Carolina. Amazing texture.
What brand of grits are you cooking?
Quacker Oats grits don't even come close to real southern grits.

I love grits! To the best of my recollection I had my first taste of grits when I was five years old.
Sixty Eight years ago.
Other than the grits my grandmother cooked long ago, my best eating was Shrimp and Grits close to Battery Row in Charleston, South Carolina. Amazing texture.
What brand of grits are you cooking?
Quacker Oats grits don't even come close to real southern grits.
Jim Dandy.. same as Quaker - bland as hell, so I have to season them up. I've even cooked them with Fritos thrown in.. subs for salt and adds some pseudo corn flavoring. I keep telling myself to buy some real grits, but I don't listen :spank: I'll add them to my next shopping list.

My first taste was at a Georgia diner at 3am on my first trip to Florida in 1970. They were just a puddle swimming in melted butter next to my sausage and eggs - all I could taste was the butter.

Tonight's dinner : Rigatoni with Chicken and Broccoli in a creamy Adobo sauce, dusted with grated Grana Padano cheese.

Jim Dandy.. same as Quaker - bland as hell, so I have to season them up. I've even cooked them with Fritos thrown in.. subs for salt and adds some pseudo corn flavoring. I keep telling myself to buy some real grits, but I don't listen :spank: I'll add them to my next shopping list.

My first taste was at a Georgia diner at 3am on my first trip to Florida in 1970. They were just a puddle swimming in melted butter next to my sausage and eggs - all I could taste was the butter.
For what it's worth
If you're not brave enough, I'll go first and buy a two pound bag of yellow.

I had French Onion Soup and a Grilled Cheese - I didn't put the cheese bread in the soup - and I made the soup from Scratch.

Back