It's a damn Spectacle!

Stumbled upon this one today...I know Billie Eilish is not everyone's cup of tea...that emo thing..I like some of her stuff a lot...other stuff not so much but from the get go it was clear this girl and her brother were extremely talented "free birds".

The girl had the bug and the talent damn young..

I love this one form the merican songbook... Goes into that Amy Winehouse realm...

I've tried listening to her, and I don't hear it. She's not god awful. I just don't hear anything that makes me say "wow that's great". But, she's an A lister. So, there's millions who do get it. I also don't like Amy Winehouse or Adele. I hated Nirvana and all of grunge. But, Nirvana was a special case of hate. I'm not proud to say it. But, it's true. I was happy when Cobain killed himself. I hated him and his music that much. If you weren't alive or just a child when he died, he was in the media every friggin day. I know TAE is around my age. But, a few others might read this. Thankfully and deservedly, their songs aren't used in film or tv. If rock and roll died, Cobain can be pointed to as the executioner.

I went off on a I don't like them tangent and forgot why I was responding to this post. My movie is represented by Hart Fisher of American Horrors. Billie and her brother (?) used to hang out at his house all the time. He knew she was going to be a star.

I like POP. Songs that make you want to hum the chorus or sing the verses. If she has one of those songs put a video of the recorded version and I'll give it a listen. If I can't like her pop songs, I can't like her at all.

It was a movement by angry young people (wanna be) musicians. Punk music morphed into Rap and Hip Hop. The newest generation of angry young people. To be fair, though, it sells.
You have no idea what you're talking about. The quality of musicianship in punk rock today is better than any other genre, besides probably progressive rock and the pinnacle of jam bands like Phish.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The quality of musicianship in punk rock today is better than any other genre, besides probably progressive rock and the pinnacle of jam bands like Phish.
But that wasn't the make-up of punk rock..................so how can it be punk? :-)

But that wasn't the make-up of punk rock..................so how can it be punk? :-)
The "make up of punk rock"? Were there rules set down by the early shit musicians that established guidelines that needed to be followed to be included in that genre? I missed those. My apologies.

If she has one of those songs put a video of the recorded version and I'll give it a listen.
I don't think she's going to be a Pop star...she and her brother in my opinion if we're going try and put THEM in a box..play in a very unusual special box or boxes and deserves a special name... I'm going to call it techno modern folk...Now this video below is not techno ...lets call it emo folk..IMO these two kids plopped on this planet as brother and sister were meant to be doing what they do...

The "make up of punk rock"? Were there rules set down by the early shit musicians that established guidelines that needed to be followed to be included in that genre? I missed those. My apologies.
Yes the rules were there weren't any .......but one..............and that was that you did everything but conform to what you were supposed to...............Being as other 'musicians' in those days learnt their craft and played as good as possible, .................then I think being a 'punk' didnt fall into that category.

You were only 6 years old so werent old enough to understand?

Last edited:
Yes the rules were there weren't any .......but one..............and that was that you did everything but conform to what you were supposed to...............Being as other 'musicians' in those days learnt their craft and played as good as possible, .................then being a 'punk' didnt fall into that category.

You were only 6 years old so werent old enough to understand?
I'm not having a conversation about the current state of punk rock with a misguided old man. Sorry dude. If you think punk rock ended in 1979 there's no point in discussing it.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I think I have upset Sid Ferocious.
I really don't get upset any more. About anything. I promise. I just don't waste energy on pointless endeavors and this is a pretty good example of that. I have it too good to be mad at the internet.

• Love
Reactions: TAE
I really don't get upset any more. About anything. I promise. I just don't waste energy on pointless endeavors and this is a pretty good example of that. I have it too good to be mad at the internet.
I'm trying to think of a situation that would piss me off. I have been recently. I can't think of anything worthy of getting upset over. I don't need anything to be happy so if I were to lose everything I'm not sure I'd care. I'm vested in a really good pension so I'll have a paycheck for the rest of my life when I do retire. I have quality friendships so I'm not lonely but I don't need the company of others to be content either. I'm in a weird spot. I think I'm just done arguing. Not sure.

THAT WAS A BLAST FROM THE PAST.

I recognize band names immediately. Dr Feelgood had their time. The title seemed familiar. But, it wasn't what I was thinking. First line brought me back. GREAT SONG. This is the first time I'm hearing it in probably 30 + years. THANKS. I love hearing songs that are long forgotten. I had a wonderful 45 collection. My mom sold them all except for a few. She probably got pennies.
Yeah man that particular performance is solid gold, frickin live in a houseboat...Shel laying on the bed adding a little impromptu harp...

Was totally blown away years later when I realized the book of poems my daughter loved having read to her "A light in the attic" was the same Shel Silverstein ..

I'm trying to think of a situation that would piss me off. I have been recently. I can't think of anything worthy of getting upset over. I don't need anything to be happy so if I were to lose everything I'm not sure I'd care. I'm vested in a really good pension so I'll have a paycheck for the rest of my life when I do retire. I have quality friendships so I'm not lonely but I don't need the company of others to be content either. I'm in a weird spot. I think I'm just done arguing. Not sure.
Messing with family, friends can make me click into protect and anger mode pretty quick ..Hate bullies because they suck and most often even when I know I'm gonna lose, I'll jump in and defend... The hate part is because I see an old part of me that I am not one bit proud of... yep.... I have been one myself in my youth and have to keep a tight leash on the adult me to not repeat that undesirable defect in behavior.

Love the I have friends but am content all by myself...Serenity, like love and happiness, comes from within. It's impossible to love anyone else if you don't love yourself..

Raggy don't like the sunshine
Raggy don't like the rain
The only thing that Raggy likes
is to complain

Hey Raggy
Don't bring your down on me
Hey Raggy
come on set your cold soul free

Raggy don't like nobody
And nobody likes Raggy
Raggy don't even like herself
So how can she like you or me

Hey Raggy
Don't bring your down on me
Hey Raggy
come on set your cold soul free

Messing with family, friends can make me click into protect and anger mode pretty quick ..Hate bullies because they suck and most often even when I know I'm gonna lose, I'll jump in and defend... The hate part is because I see an old part of me that I am not one bit proud of... yep.... I have been one myself in my youth and have to keep a tight leash on the adult me to not repeat that undesirable defect in behavior.

Love the I have friends but am content all by myself...Serenity, like love and happiness, comes from within. It's impossible to love anyone else if you don't love yourself..
Damn straight!

Well since this thread has become it's own spectacle of "special guest" I stumbled upon a pretty cool video this morning that has a bit of my LA history in it.
My special guest here today is Slash and the personalities... "Slash" the lead singer and founder of the band is Brian Beck (RIP) of whom I have a smidge of history with. A pretty sweet character. When I joined Cheap Day Return Brian was part of the close circle of friends of the two brothers Barry (Founder of CDR) and Tom Barringer ( drummer extraordinaire) ..He for a small window of time played the part of manager for CDR. He went on to form Slash and the personalities with Tom B.
The cast of characters in SATP is quite diverse and actually as hard as it may be to believe watching this video were some of the most kick ass musicians in LA at the time.
Tom Barringer is one of the most creative drummers I have ever known with a style all his own.
John Rockwood was the geekiest nerdy looking guitar players I have ever known. But a beast of a player on par with Eddie and Randy back in the day in LA. Technically beyond them both but didn't have that charisma or fire that they had.
Joel Ciulla The Bass King
Jim Gilson on Keys ( bought my first Hammond M3 from him) cool cat and great player..
Dave Madden on percussion another one of the great local LA drummers back in the day... he has played in a couple different Doors tribute bands over the last 40 years..
Just an awesome group of players...

Is it punk? New wave? punked up new wave...

Keeping me on topic is almost impossible. I see one thing that points me to another and then another.

Thank You. If you want any songs please download, pass it around -

I love Linda Ronstadt. I saw her Mad Love tour. That album is basically made up of Elvis Costello tunes.

If you didn't know Nanci Griffith passed away yesterday or today, 68-years-old.

These are my two favorite Lucinda Williams songs -

This song gives me the chills.

I could play this over and over for hours.

Must be my 6th grade sense of humor, but every time I hear the tune 'Passionate Kisses" I change the lyrics to Vaginal Kisses. It makes that god awful tune bearable.

Must be my 6th grade sense of humor, but every time I hear the tune 'Passionate Kisses" I change the lyrics to Vaginal Kisses. It makes that god awful tune bearable.
That's funny. It's one of my favorite songs. That's why we're all individuals. Taste can never be argued. Only aspects can. Like if I said Johnny Thunders is the greatest singer in rock and roll history. I'd be insane and wrong. But, I'll listen to him anytime over any grunge vocalist.

That's funny. It's one of my favorite songs. That's why we're all individuals. Taste can never be argued. Only aspects can. Like if I said Johnny Thunders is the greatest singer in rock and roll history. I'd be insane and wrong. But, I'll listen to him anytime over any grunge vocalist.
I agree. No accounting for taste. We like what we like.

Back