It's a damn Spectacle!

LOL. Got a kick outta that one.

Eddie's got that wall-o-amps behind him and I smile when I see a single, skinny mic in front of one speaker. Probably goin' DI too.. .. 'a really big shoo' :guitar: :-)

It ain't Country(again)!.....dang it, it's singer songwriter tuneage.

Have you ever got hammered, in anger and a drugs & drunken stupor tore off your girl's dress, sobered up, wrote a song about it, and had your girl play fiddle to back you up while you sing the song to an audience full of people? Jason Isbell has. All humor aside, some people really do need to "swear off that stuff". Good on 'im.

Damn Mick! Another bitchin one.....Man this thread is a hoot! Always good to hear new stuff and some of this stuff is GOOD STUFF! Edjumactional n shit!

Singer-Songwriter, studio and backing musician, picker, Darrell Scott. Scott played the jack of all trades multi instrumentalist gig about 10 years ago in Robert Plant's later incarnation of Band of Joy(both Plant and John Bonham played in a band of the same name prior to Led Zeppelin). Yes, he recognizes the chord structure at times sounds a bit like Blackbird.

Not a fan of him. In fact I think he is shite.

Pop?????...........I thought he was supposed to be some punk god?
Really? Why would you think that? His songs are as poppy as they come. I wouldn't consider him to be punk rock even in his prime.

Watching the detectives.......I remember that. Nobody thought it was much of anything. Just a run of the mill song by another new band. Certainly nothing like the punk of the time...........which I will add not many thought much of anyway.

I dont want to to Chelsea.............Yes some kind of quirky little dance with over size spectacles in drain pipe trousers if I remember correctly. The song was nothing like punk and didnt get anywhere higher than his first song. Not even top 10 hits.

Pump it up.............Radio Radio............Accidents will happen..............Non entities which didnt even get in top 20.

Olivers Army............First proper hit but certainly not punk.

I cant stand up for falling down.............Again easily forgotten but another hit for him and his last for a while.

A good year for the roses............His last hit. Anything else he did didnt even chart.

So Besides a tv show disclosing that his father wrote a lemonade advert, most people would have trouble remembering his stuff.

Last edited:
What age would you be?
I'm 51 and have been into Punk rock and pop music since the late 70's for pop and early 80's for punk. I would consider The Clash to be a good representation of early Elvis Costello era punk. And TO ME I wouldn't consider any of the songs you listed as being punk really. Can you link me to an example of an Elvis song that you would consider to be punk? I'm looking to be persuaded, not argue. At all. I like pop music. I like punk rock. This isn't an argument.

I'm not saying it is or isn't as good as pop songwriting comes.

Can you articulate why either of those would be great pop songwriting? And, pop aside, is it great song writing?

I'm 51 and have been into Punk rock and pop music since the late 70's for pop and early 80's for punk. I would consider The Clash to be a good representation of early Elvis Costello era punk. And TO ME I wouldn't consider any of the songs you listed as being punk really. Can you link me to an example of an Elvis song that you would consider to be punk? I'm looking to be persuaded, not argue. At all. I like pop music. I like punk rock. This isn't an argument.

Not you but Geldorf said he was punk. Punk started in 1976 and was finished 18 months later. Costello was first seen by the masses in 1977..

I can link you to no song of his which would be punk. He was there at that time as were lots of other bands which werent punk. So why some regard him as such is a mystery except that Geldorf was supposed to be punk and at that same time with 'Mary of the 4th form' or something.

Last edited:
Not you but the Sir Geldoff said he was punk. Punk started in 1976 and was finished 18 months later. Elvis Costello was first seen by the masses in 1977..

I can link you to no song of his which would be punk. He was there at that time as were lots of other bands which werent punk. So why some regard him as such is a mystery except that Geldoff was supposed to be punk and at that same time with 'Mary of the 4th form' or something.
Not a fan of him. In fact I think he is shite.

Pop?????...........I thought he was supposed to be some punk god?
Hmm. I don't know how to respond to that. You said you thought he was supposed to be "some punk God" because Geldoff said so 40 years ago? Got it.

I'm not saying it is or isn't as good as pop songwriting comes.

Can you articulate why either of those would be great pop songwriting? And, pop aside, is it great song writing?
Sure. Great songwriting is subjective, obviously. So my version of what I would consider a great pop song is probably going to differ from your opinion of what great pop songwriting is going to be. But since you love to argue with me I'll tell you what I would consider the building blocks of a great pop song is then you can tell me I'm wrong.

First of all, the song structure alone is critical to having a well written song FOR THE MOST PART. There are no hard rules but a great pop song is probably going to have a good intro, a couple or few good verses, maybe a pre-chorus, a catchy chorus and possibly even a bridge in there somewhere. There should be a hook that catches a listeners ear. It can be musical or it can be with the lyrics but it has to be a good hook. A great melody is imperative. When I think of great songwriting and great pop song structures in general, I don't need to look any further than most of what Motown Records put out from 1960 to 1969. They had teams of world class writers pumping out hit after hit after hit. "During the 1960s, Motown achieved 79 records in the top-ten of the Billboard Hot 100 between 1960 and 1969."- from wiki.

Those songs are still being listened to and sampled 50 years later, and encapsulates great pop songwriting. I'll probably be humming a Temptations song for the next two weeks. That's another great sign of quality songwriting.

Now, please educate me as to how I know nothing about music. Thanks.

Not you but the Sir Geldoff said he was punk. Punk started in 1976 and was finished 18 months later.
How old are you? I think you're intimating that punk rock hasn't existed since roughly 1979. Is that correct? Is that what I'm reading?

Hmm. I don't know how to respond to that. You said you thought he was supposed to be "some punk God" because Geldoff said so 40 years ago? Got it.
No you came in late and picked up on the wrong thing.

EC to me was long forgotten but in recent years Galdoff talked of him as some great punk song writer. But I said his stuff was nothing like the punk at that time and he was basically crap. I think the fact he only had a few hits explains that. But everyone has their own views.

Sure. Great songwriting is subjective, obviously. So my version of what I would consider a great pop song is probably going to differ from your opinion of what great pop songwriting is going to be. But since you love to argue with me I'll tell you what I would consider the building blocks of a great pop song is then you can tell me I'm wrong.

First of all, the song structure alone is critical to having a well written song FOR THE MOST PART. There are no hard rules but a great pop song is probably going to have a good intro, a couple or few good verses, maybe a pre-chorus, a catchy chorus and possibly even a bridge in there somewhere. There should be a hook that catches a listeners ear. It can be musical or it can be with the lyrics but it has to be a good hook. A great melody is imperative. When I think of great songwriting and great pop song structures in general, I don't need to look any further than most of what Motown Records put out from 1960 to 1969. They had teams of world class writers pumping out hit after hit after hit. "During the 1960s, Motown achieved 79 records in the top-ten of the Billboard Hot 100 between 1960 and 1969."- from wiki.

Those songs are still being listened to and sampled 50 years later, and encapsulates great pop songwriting. I'll probably be humming a Temptations song for the next two weeks. That's another great sign of quality songwriting.

Now, please educate me as to how I know nothing about music. Thanks.
So, again, and this should be obvious but I'll spell it out. Both of the Elvis songs I posted have, IMO, all the qualities I listed. And we're still talking about those songs 44 years later. And someone 44 years from now will probably still be talking about them.

How old are you? I think you're intimating that punk rock hasn't existed since roughly 1979. Is that correct? Is that what I'm reading?
Music changes. Music comes and then it goes usually because something comes along that people prefer. In the UK punk lasted little more than 18 months max. Then it was all new wave and mods stuff for a short time.

Back