Singing review

GT ......... Noosha Fox was a bloody Aussie cobber
I know that, but Fox were pretty popular here for a short while in '75/'76. Originally, when Rob originally mentioned the singer he didn't specify her nationality, just that her band had had hits here and were a 70s band. There were quite a few 70s bands here that had a female vocalist {or 2} but it depended which part of the 70s he meant.
Noosha wasn't even really called Noosha, her name was Sue or something like that. But we all thought Noosha was such a cool name back when I was 12 ! Funnily enough, I work with someone at the moment that we call Noosh {short, I think, for Anushka}.

I know that, but Fox were pretty popular here for a short while in '75/'76. Originally, when Rob originally mentioned the singer he didn't specify her nationality, just that her band had had hits here and were a 70s band. There were quite a few 70s bands here that had a female vocalist {or 2} but it depended which part of the 70s he meant.
Noosha wasn't even really called Noosha, her name was Sue or something like that. But we all thought Noosha was such a cool name back when I was 12 ! Funnily enough, I work with someone at the moment that we call Noosh {short, I think, for Anushka}.
Sue Trayner I think it was and her band 'Fox' had some musicians who were in other popular 70's bands as well.

Of course the Heart video was mimed. I remember watching lots of shows from the 60s and 70s where the drummer never hit a drum, the guitars had no chords and there were instruments playing that weren't on the stage. American Bandstand, Where the Action Is, Kirshner's Rock Concert. Lots of stuff was faked.

That doesn't take away from the fact that Ann Wilson can SING!
True Dat! I saw them live when they were just getting launched...Absolutely hands down the best live rock female vocalist I have ever seen..stunningly amzing.

Hmmmm somewhere in all of our brilliant pontificating I think the OP realized she had made a mistake posting the question here...

I wanna rock! This is me recorded live when I learned how to rip my vocal chords into shreds in a matter of minutes about 9 years ago...I'm ALIVE!

Singing heals your voice. People who suffered traumatic injury, rebuild their speaking voice making tones.

I don't believe singing hurts the voice at all. If you do it too much like an idiot , but come on you know.

The band leader in my band had a collapsed lung during covid. Luckily he was in hospital at the time and a doctor was already at the bedside when it happened. The doctor grabbed a piece of plastic tubing and shoved it through the skin between his ribs at the side, with no anaesthetic because he couldn’t breathe in or breath out. eventually they glued the lining back using his own blood. Expose it to the air, let it go sticky then use it as glue!
guess what they told him was the best physiotherapy? Yep, singing!

Try this once per day -

And view your voice like an instrument. Someone who practiced guitar for 10 years sounds better than someone who practiced for 1 year.

It's hard to tell someone bad news, but it is not cool to not tell them if not telling puts them in danger or risk. The OP is tone deaf not a little, a lot. Absolutely if she likes singing go ahead and have fun, but to avoid the risk of being laughed at, cringed at I'd encourage her to do it privately or with friends who are also tone deaf or really good, kind friends. It's not quite at fingers scratching the chalk board annoying but it is pretty far off from in tune / key.

She can practice all she wants and absolutely can improve delivery, breathing and presentation but all the practice in the world will not allow her to sing in tune...that's fucked up but that's the hard truth. It's like telling someone to raise their hand when they don't have arms.

I can not sing. I fix every note in melodyne. I have no plans of ever performing live again. Though I did fake it for years, and once got a review for my strong vocals.

You sound like me pre melodyne. If you're young, practice, and actually find a way to learn to be on pitch. I never did. There are books, videos, free stuff on youtube. If you're not "tone deaf" (I am) you can learn. But, it takes practice and determination.

You don't have bad tone. But, you also have to learn to deliver a song. That comes with confidence, courage and conviction.

There are millions who can sing. Only a handful can deliver a song that makes people turn their head and take notice. Some of them aren't great vocalists. They have IT.

Again, it’s also a matter of choosing the right song for your voice. OP posted some songs that didn’t fit and then posted one song that did. Find more songs like that.

There is good singing and there is character and style. Years ago, actor Richard Harris sang MacArthur Park, and amazing song. He sang it appallingly from a music perspective. There’s a lovely story about a lady in a hotel asking him if he was going to release more songs and he said no, she asked why and he said “because I can’t F****** sing!”

I just saw a special on Hollywood Musicals. They were talking about My Fair Lady. Hepburn took lessons, and tried her best. In the end her vocals were dubbed.

Rex Harrison also couldn't sing. He and the musical director decided he'd talk/sing. Harrison refused to go into a studio, record the songs and then try to lip sync the song. So, they brought the orchestra to the set, and it was recorded live. They got it done in spades.

There is good singing and there is character and style. Years ago, actor Richard Harris sang MacArthur Park, and amazing song. He sang it appallingly from a music perspective. There’s a lovely story about a lady in a hotel asking him if he was going to release more songs and he said no, she asked why and he said “because I can’t F****** sing!”
... and yet, I've got a double CD of Richard Harris doing a bunch of Jimmy Webb songs. I had, I think, three of his albums, which got trashed in the basement flood.

Back