Your first job.

I suppose we are all pretty boring really. So nobody had a job as a 'adult film actor/actress' on leaving school then? :thumbs up:

That is pretty hard core right there.

Or really bad advice :laughings:

Honestly I saw nothing wrong with what IBB originally posted so not sure why my buddy 60's guy went off on him but I assume there is an underlying string of previous battles that fed it...Anyway dudes.... life is short, times are fucked up right now and we all could use a good dose of respect and kindness ...Lets not let this really cool thread take a spin in the toilet and get flushed. Be polite, be kind and most importantly be funny if you can.

Or really bad advice :laughings:

Honestly I saw nothing wrong with what IBB originally posted so not sure why my buddy 60's guy went off on him but I assume there is an underlying string of previous battles that fed it...Anyway dudes.... life is short, times are fucked up right now and we all could use a good dose of respect and kindness ...Lets not let this really cool thread take a spin in the toilet and get flushed. Be polite, be kind and most importantly be funny if you can.

True tis Xmas.

So first job you ask?

Pops was a hardwood floorman ( and many things before and after ) when I was a kid...3 older sisters with the youngest being 8 years older and a baby brother 3 years younger..Mom worked as an operator and the Sisters did not want to have to watch me sooooo. I started going to work with my Pops at a ridiculously young age of @ 5...I was mixing putty and puttying nail holes at five and cleaning the lambs wools varnish applicator with leaded gasoline bare handed...used to make my hands tingle...( this explains a lot of things with me ;) ) By the time I was 8 I was bringing in the bundles of hardwood, busting the metal straps that held them together with an axe and then laying rooms out ahead of Pops and cutting in with a hand saw ( I still have ) When it came time to sand and finish I would run the edger and buffer... So from @ 5 to 12 I was a hardwood floor helper. I got paid under the table $1 a day bought my own bike @ 10. (Only had one summer vacation in my life where I didn't work because I had to go to summer school...man that was a fun summer) With the advent of wall to wall carpet the hardwood floor industry collapsed and my dad went to work for my Uncle who owned a plating company. I got my work permit at 12 and went to work there in 1965 at $1.35 and hour. Started off going there on Saturdays, school holidays and summer vacations... doing odds jobs from painting and pulling weeds to sand blasting parts on the the sand blasting machine...fricking spent a whole hot ass summer on that damn sand blaster @ 14 I was big enough to get up on the catwalks and start plating...started in anodizing, then Cad and Zinc... Did a little chrome too. Worked there till I was 18 and then became a rocket scientist / brain surgeon...( remember the lead gasoline part of this story) I never let grass grow under my feet I did keep a paper route for a few years while working at the plating shop, also took a side job at a local restaurant a friends family owned doing everything from helping build a new dinning area onto the building to washing dishes and as a buss boy..Bitchin polynesian restaurant with amazing food...The Bahooka...That was a fun job...

Had a string of odd crazy jobs before ending up at a nice company that distributed Zenith TV's in So Cal..Such a great company really treated us well...then I quit to go chase the rockstar dream...did that for 6 years and fell into tile setting along the way to "get by till we made it" and low and behold it became my career for 20 years...paid the bills and allowed me to support my family...and then the REAL adventure began...The last 20 years have been an amazing journey of me doing things I have no business doing but I'm doing them...making a decent living and still chasing the mansion and yacht / caviar and champagne dream lifestyles of the poor and boring...

I didn't see anything wrong with IBB's initial post either. I do take exception to his follow up post, but only because I have been tossing the idea of naming our band "Old Cactus". Well, scratch that one off the list.
:D

I had so many jobs as a kid, pickin strawberries was one of them; washing airplanes, mowing lawns, paper routes.... But my first job with a paystub was a busboy at a pancake house. minimum wage was $2.35 or so. It wasn't much, but it was enough to fill the tank in the car and the boat.

but it was enough to fill the tank in the car and the boat.

Sounds like you had it really rough back then Chilli. Must have been hard times.

When I left school a car or rather an old banger was a pipe dream and a boat was something you worked on if you joined the navy.

I didn't see anything wrong with IBB's initial post either. I do take exception to his follow up post, but only because I have been tossing the idea of naming our band "Old Cactus". Well, scratch that one off the list.
:D

I had so many jobs as a kid, pickin strawberries was one of them; washing airplanes, mowing lawns, paper routes.... But my first job with a paystub was a busboy at a pancake house. minimum wage was $2.35 or so. It wasn't much, but it was enough to fill the tank in the car and the boat.

Well, you could still name your first album, Life is like F'n a cactus.

My first job was a grocery store worker. Worst part was cleaning the bathrooms. Especially the women’s bathrooms. They were totally disgusting!

Won’t say what I made or my thoughts about it given the posts here lmao.

Reactions: TAE
I know where you're comin' from.. I had volunteer latrine duty at a homeless shelter - the afternoon/evening shift - and it was like the toilets and urinals didn't exist. Just the floor.

it was like the toilets and urinals didn't exist. Just the floor
I shared a house with some polytechnic students that espoused that philosophy ! A couple of gross Welshmen in London. {Actually, to be fair, one of them was great ~ recorded my first ever jams with him. He just drank too much and wasn't toilet trained :facepalm:}.

As for jobs, my first job was as a cleaner. I used to say I was a "property maintenance officer." I got fired because I did some private work for one of the people that lived in the block I used to maintain and the boss {who grew up with Graham Gouldman of 10cc and the Yardbirds first commercial single that caused Clapton to quit the band} got sore. He demanded I go and do some work that didn't need to be done but I had a ticket to a gig by the Rolling Stones and there was no way I was missing that so I just went. He called a couple of days later to tell me he felt it was time we 'parted company' even though I was his most reliable worker but I was so stoned that evening, I didn't care.
The company was called "Scrubbers" {most Londoners laugh at that} and I was with them for 8 months. It was the only disagreement we ever had.

I've deleted a couple of posts that were unhelpfully off-topic
I agree with your decision. And I take full responsibility for initially, and unwisely, launching a preemptive strike. For that, I apologize.
For the record, I do have a cactus plant, but I'll have to take a pass on what was suggested I should do with it.
Everyone's first job story is awesome reading!

I was kicked out of high school at 16. Good Lord if I only knew then what I know now.

My brother who had graduated, worked in a restaurant and told us "I will only eat what's been in the freezer." I didn't understand till I got my first job washing dishes at the Babylon Diner. I worked from 11pm to 7am. I had my little cassette player and I remember I listened to a lot of Clapton. I'd keep rewinding to hear Layla (OK that's D&TD. It's still Clapton).

I wouldn't see the mice. But, I constantly heard them over head. Since it was the night shift, the diner was never crowded and one night the creepy cook chased the lone waitress around with a dead mouse (a big one) in a trap. It was here I realized what my brother was talking about. But, that's not the worst story.

The mashed potatoes, string beans, corn, and other dinner items were put into large cans and sat in a "steam tub". It's very hot water, and it keeps the food hot, in case someone orders a meal at 2am. After I'd been there a while the cook gave me the task of dumping the vegetables from the metal containers to the buckets. He decided to show me, and in some of the buckets were mice droppings. He just poured the food on top of the mice shit.

I still think about that when I eat out.

This is NOT about me. But, it's another HORROR story of food. I worked with a guy who lived in Astoria Queens. He was not a bullshitter. He told me how he went into a friends bagel shop and went to the back. He walks in and the friend is peeing in the batter.
In my hometown there was a small Chinese restaurant in operation during the 1950's and 1960's. I ate there often. The restaurant expanded four times in size to an adjacent area next door within the same building complex. The restaurant operated for another 30 years until they went out of business.

One of my nephews worked for the company that was hired to dismantle the equipment in the restaurant and to clean the basement.
I'll never forget it that he said that he saw hundreds of dead rats in the basement of that restaurant.

On a positive note.....he didn't see any dead cats.

Back