Boating is good

ibleedburgundy

The Anti-Lambo
I am renting a boat out on the Chesapeake bay and some of the adjoining rivers near Annapolis Maryland. I have 7 people so far including me. It's a 500 hp jet boat - 2015 Chaparral 243 VRX (24 foot boat). Total rental price is $740 for 8 hours and we'll spend another $150 on gas probably. So I told them it's $100 a person (actually I am picking up the tab for my nephew and his wife as a present). The first 6 people responded in the affirmative in about a half hour. They're all excited.

I'll spend that much on a round of golf without thinking twice. Most of my friend will run up a bar tab close to that without flinching. Relative to this, that all seems like a waste of $$$.

Anyway, so I invite the 7th motherfucker and he's acting like I'm twisting his arm to go! WTF! :mad: He's like this deathmetal fucker - cool as fuck but sometimes kinda weird about stuff.

I think he's underestimating how awesome this is going to be!

Last weekend I rented a 1994 Maxum 2300 (23 foot boat). That boat stock has 270 or 250 horsepower but the owner claimed 300. Who knows. That was super fun. We had an amazing time out on the Potomac. 8 friends (different group than this time). I have some friends, seems like we are at a time in our lives where letting loose can be ultra fun. Went down south from DC to Mount Vernon and a few miles past. It's quite nice down there.

Anyway, I am all about boating. Haven't boated all that much - usually once or twice per year. From now on I think I am going to do more of it. But fuck owning a boat. I am never doing that shit. I can rent boats - it's not cheap but it's a helluva lot cheaper than buying. Plus I get to experience a new and different boat every time - which is half the fun IMO. I want to work my way up to some larger boats, maybe a 40 footer someday.

The fastest I've ever been on a boat was 110 mph. The boat was capable of about 150 mph but we didn't go that fast. When it was my turn to drive, the owner said I had it up to 90 mph. Pure adrenaline. Wearing nothing, but a swimsuit, sunglasses and a smile. :cool:

But anymore, I'm all about full sails and full drinks.

Golf costs $100 a round?

Stay away from the parts of the Bay that suffer from the chicken farm poop runoff!

The fastest I've ever been on a boat was 110 mph. The boat was capable of about 150 mph but we didn't go that fast. When it was my turn to drive, the owner said I had it up to 90 mph. Pure adrenaline. Wearing nothing, but a swimsuit, sunglasses and a smile. :cool:

But anymore, I'm all about full sails and full drinks.

110! Holy shit! What kind of boat was that and what was the body of water? That must have been awesome.

Fastest I've gone on the water was on a souped up wave runner - 65 MPH. Or at least that was the indicated speed. Everything feels faster on the water though. Finger lakes in New York.

I want to learn to sail. There are a lot of options around here for that, I just haven't explored them yet.

When I lived in Virginia, I had a sailboat on the Chesapeake, down where the Rappahonnock dumped into the bay. It was nice. A little far from the house, but cool to get away on weekends.

The 110mph boat was a drag boat the owner built. He used to race boats in his younger day. It had a Chevy 502 or something huge like that. It used racing fuel which cost about $5 a gallon (mid-90s). He would take it to the Sacramento Delta which is a network of connected waterways and irrigation ditches. The funny thing is; the day he took me out on it was his first day back after breaking his back on it 6 months earlier. He was going pretty fast and hit a wave. It threw the boat in the air and it landed hard enough to crush some vertebrae. OUCH :eek:

Oh, and 65 mph is still pretty frikkin fast!!!

The 110mph boat was a drag boat the owner built. He used to race boats in his younger day. It had a Chevy 502 or something huge like that. It used racing fuel which cost about $5 a gallon (mid-90s). He would take it to the Sacramento Delta which is a network of connected waterways and irrigation ditches. The funny thing is; the day he took me out on it was his first day back after breaking his back on it 6 months earlier. He was going pretty fast and hit a wave. It threw the boat in the air and it landed hard enough to crush some vertebrae. OUCH :eek:

That all sounds ill-advised! :D

Man, that's crazy stuff. lol

I. do. not. like going fast on the water. Too many unpredictables and unknowns, too few rules, and too many weekend warriors & idiots. I have a pontoon boat I keep down at the lake house, slow as she goes. It is not uncommon to encounter logs and other debris floating in the water. Wouldn't want to hit any of that going 90 mph. As a kayaker, speeding boats and the accompanying wake are a source of agro. Have come damn close to being run over a couple of times.

hit a wave. It threw the boat in the air and it landed hard enough to crush some vertebrae. OUCH :eek:

Oh, and 65 mph is still pretty frikkin fast!!!

and the water can be hard...lol daaang crushed vertebrae....boating safer than driving a motorcycle in the city around here.

I always heard the two best days of a Boat owners life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

Renting sounds fun and $100 not a bad night out really. I can spend $100 eating and some drinks with no view or memory at all...a blah night for $100.

Back