Metallica

Muttallica! I don't like them: not when they were murky bassless metal or when they were pretty metal.
I liked them even less when a member hunted bear woken up from hibernation and, the most significant point, any band that has Lars in it isn't it for me.

Love or hate Lars, he's a great rock drummer. But to me this is indistinguishable from all their other post Trujillo output.. just a few years older. Again.

Its similar in style to the stuff from Death Magnetic - which at the time was better than they'd been in ages - but it has much better production than that stuff. DM had awful production.

It does seem a little that established popular bands are more likely to get hate off people on HR.com. That's understandable though I suppose, more people know who they are so will have an opinion about them.

Lars drumming - sounds great on an album - probably 'cos in that situation he's forced to take the time to practice, he probably has a sympathetic producer too. He's shite live though and admits that he doesn't practice when they're not in the studio.

Lars drumming - sounds great on an album - probably 'cos in that situation he's forced to take the time to practice, he probably has a sympathetic producer too. He's shite live though and admits that he doesn't practice when they're not in the studio.

A long time ago, I learned that Lars comps his drum tracks together piece by piece. I think it maybe started on Justice...could be the Black album, but I think it was Justice that I first heard about it. They had some poor intern literally cutting and splicing billions of pieces of tape together for a drum track. I don't think I've intentionally listened to one new Metallica song since then. And I can believe it because he is a disaster live. I know studio trickery is a common and accepted thing to do, but I can't get past something like that.

A long time ago, I learned that Lars comps his drum tracks together piece by piece. I think it maybe started on Justice...could be the Black album, but I think it was Justice that I first heard about it. They had some poor intern literally cutting and splicing billions of pieces of tape together for a drum track. I don't think I've intentionally listened to one new Metallica song since then. And I can believe it because he is a disaster live. I know studio trickery is a common and accepted thing to do, but I can't get past something like that.

I saw a making of video of The Black Album years ago and it was the first time I'd seen video of people using a DAW - must have been an early version of Pro Tools, although I didn't even know what a DAW was at the time. They were chopping up beats and moving various fills around then, at the time they were even joking that they should sell drum fills 'cos they had some left over.

The fuck it up and fix it later attitude does really bother me. Probably why I am a bit OCD about complete takes in my own songs.

Pre Milli Vanilli getting busted lots of 'fixes' were used. One common one was to call in the hired gun and just have an uncredited ghost player do the part right. Late night drumner:D

Don't know for a fact if this was the case with Lars. (He wouldn't even know if it happened), but I've known lots of session players who did that work. In the days of big record budgets it was a good paying gig.
:D

Pre Milli Vanilli getting busted lots of 'fixes' were used. One common one was to call in the hired gun and just have an uncredited ghost player do the part right. Late night drumner:D

Don't know for a fact if this was the case with Lars. (He wouldn't even know if it happened), but I've known lots of session players who did that work. In the days of big record budgets it was a good paying gig.

That's not what Lars did. That fool couldn't play his parts so he pt them together beat-by-beat.

One common one was to call in the hired gun and just have an uncredited ghost player do the part right.

One of the more (in)famous cases of that particular trick was Steve Hunter doing the guitar on Aerosmith's Get yer Wings album. Train Kept a Rollin is pretty much acknowledged by everyone (except maybe Joe Perry) but rumors persist that Hunter played a lot more than that. Perry just didn't have chops like that back then (if he does now - lol) and he was back at the shack too wasted to play anyway.

edit - Wagner too.

The Mystery of Aerosmith's "Train Kept A Rollin'" Solos | GuitarPlayer

Last edited:
I know Steve. Boy oh boy, the stories I've heard. :D
Him and Dick have played behind the scenes a lot.

Just to carry the thread all the way off the tracks:

The mention of Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner got me revisiting some of the music those guys did and some articles and interviews. Even though I knew it already it still amazes me that they were a heavy common theme in what I was listening to as a teenager even though a lot of it was uncredited. I did not know at the time that they were what made Get Your Wings and Billion Dollar Babies rock. You listen to those albums now and it's obvious. Back then it was the shit I liked that wasn't Bowie.

I saw a making of video of The Black Album years ago and it was the first time I'd seen video of people using a DAW - must have been an early version of Pro Tools, although I didn't even know what a DAW was at the time. They were chopping up beats and moving various fills around then, at the time they were even joking that they should sell drum fills 'cos they had some left over.

The fuck it up and fix it later attitude does really bother me. Probably why I am a bit OCD about complete takes in my own songs.
They didn't use a DAW on the black album. They were cutting tape and splicing it together. Any computer monitor looking thing you saw on that video was the automation for the console. There was no computer audio editing platforms that would do more than 2 tracks until about 1994, which is a few years after the black album was out.

Back