Noo Yoik

jonny deep

Disappointing Member
So we've booked flights to come to New York next May. We're pretty excited - I've never been across the Atlantic before (but my better half has been to New York before). Looking at hotels and stuff now - I think it's going to be expensive!

If anyone has any tips for where to stay and what to see, it'd be much appreciated. I'm thinking I'll probably end up splashing out for a decent hotel in Manhattan.

I was keen on a day trip to Philadelphia, but we might take a two or three day trip (we're in the US for 10 nights), maybe Philly then Washington DC or something like that. Any tips on this would be cool, too.

I haven't been to NYC since it's been cleaned up and gentrified, but man, it used to be so awesome. I used to go a few times a year. I don't have any tips for you other than just do everything and go everywhere you can. Learn the subway and wear comfy shoes. Cabs are expensive, buses are slow, and a lot of times the subway is way cheaper and/or faster to get around.

Buy loads of smack and stay at the Chelsea? Would love to visit New York. In fact I've never been to that part of the US.

Be VERY aware of your surroundings and people. Put your stuff in a backpack and wear it, don't just carry it. Dudes will walk by and swipe shit out of your hand. Then they're gone in a flash. If you venture out into the burroughs, do not get off at the wrong stop. There are parts of the Bronx and Brooklyn that a white englishman and his lady do not want to be. Have an idea of where you're going before you get in a cab. They will just drive you around the block and charge you 20 bucks if you don't kind of already know where you're going.

+1 on comfy shoes.

I haven't gone into the city in 5-6 years (though I drive by it alot)... but you'll do a lot of walking. Avoid touristy crap like the Met, the Statue, and Empire State Building. Lines are humungous and imo those attractions are just not worth it. The Guggenheim is cool, and the park is pretty safe in the daytime.

Hotels in the city have always been too blue for my blood and I've always stayed outside the city. Even 10-15 miles out you'll spend a fraction of what you'd spend in the city, but who knows- maybe you're the type that doesn't need to worry about that stuff.

AFA the day trip, if you really want to go to another American city, Philly and DC are both decent enough- all the Smithsonian stuff makes DC a good family trip even if it's a little further, but I'd tell you to head upstate to the Adirondacks- tons of hiking, camping and scenic vistas. Plus it feels soooooo good if you're coming from the all-out sensory assault of NYC.. or you can head west and take in the Finger Lakes and Niagara Falls.

Agreed about the touristy stuff. They're a mess. Although I think the Empire State Building is worth it if you catch it at an unpopular time, like at night on a weekday. I think it's better at night anyway. It may be different now, but I used to go there like at sunset on a tuesday and sometimes be the only guy there. The last elevator ride to the top is a trip if it's still in operation.

+1 on comfy shoes.

I haven't gone into the city in 5-6 years (though I drive by it alot)... but you'll do a lot of walking. Avoid touristy crap like the Met, the Statue, and Empire State Building. Lines are humungous and imo those attractions are just not worth it. The Guggenheim is cool, and the park is pretty safe in the daytime.

Hotels in the city have always been too blue for my blood and I've always stayed outside the city. Even 10-15 miles out you'll spend a fraction of what you'd spend in the city, but who knows- maybe you're the type that doesn't need to worry about that stuff.

AFA the day trip, if you really want to go to another American city, Philly and DC are both decent enough- all the Smithsonian stuff makes DC a good family trip even if it's a little further, but I'd tell you to head upstate to the Adirondacks- tons of hiking, camping and scenic vistas. Plus it feels soooooo good if you're coming from the all-out sensory assault of NYC.. or you can head west and take in the Finger Lakes and Niagara Falls.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'm not interested in the Met, really, but my other half is likely to want to go. I want to go round the statue at least, maybe just on the Staten Island ferry - if we do try and go up it, we'll go in the first lot of the day to avoid wasting time queueing. Ellis Island could be interesting as well.

I've read the Top of the Rock is better than the ESB - again, I'd go first thing in the morning to avoid big queues.

I only ever wear my Asics running shoes (unless I'm at a muddy festival), so it's comfort all the way.

As for hotels, it would be nice to be in the thick of it, but it's silly money. I can stay two subway stops from central Manhattan in Long Island City for half the money, although the area is a little industrial. Where would you recommend to stay outside of the city? If I look at New Jersey, for example, people do not recommend it!

Thanks for the other responses, Greg - I lived and worked in London for several years, so I'm fairly city-savvy. Just need to find out any areas that really need to be avoided.

---------- Update ----------

The thing I'm most looking forward to is the Comedy Cellar from the Louie show!

Agreed about the touristy stuff. They're a mess. Although I think the Empire State Building is worth it if you catch it at an unpopular time, like at night on a weekday. I think it's better at night anyway. It may be different now, but I used to go there like at sunset on a tuesday and sometimes be the only guy there. The last elevator ride to the top is a trip if it's still in operation.

Yeah, the only time I've tried t go was in broad daylight and it was hellish.

I was keen on a day trip to Philadelphia, but we might take a two or three day trip (we're in the US for 10 nights), maybe Philly then Washington DC or something like that. Any tips on this would be cool, too.
sort of depends on whether or not you are interested in culture and history or....looking for a place to chill....

if the former...I suggest Boston over Philly.............

if the later....Cape Cod....Nantucket is the best get away......

As for hotels, it would be nice to be in the thick of it, but it's silly money. I can stay two subway stops from central Manhattan in Long Island City for half the money, although the area is a little industrial. Where would you recommend to stay outside of the city? If I look at New Jersey, for example, people do not recommend it!

White Plains is good- about 30 mins on the subway. Not much to see there, just more affordable lodging.

sort of depends on whether or not you are interested in culture and history or....looking for a place to chill....

if the former...I suggest Boston over Philly.............

if the later....Cape Cod....Nantucket is the best get away......

Thanks for the response. I'm not a big history buff, really, but going and seeing the Liberty Bell and stuff like that would be cool - I mostly was interested because it's only an hour or so on the train and I watch It's Always Sunny...! A full 10 days and nights in one city could well drive me mad, but I couldn't face flying that far for just a week or less.

I'll look up Cape Cod and Nantucket - thanks!

White Plains is good- about 30 mins on the subway. Not much to see there, just more affordable lodging.

Yeah, that's good. White Plains, Scarsdale, Yonkers...all up out of the way and probably cheaper but not too far. They're not skeezy areas either.

There once was a lad from Nantucket
who's gal's quim he was determined to fuck it
She offered her honor
he honored her offer
and all night long he was on her and off her...........:o

The best way to book hotels for NYC is to book your hotel in Secaucus, New Jersey and take a bus to NYC. They have buses that run to the main bus terminal every 15-30 minutes. depending on the traffic through the tunnel, the travel time is about 30 minutes. Check out the hotels prices between the two cities and you will understand there is a big difference.

From the main bus terminal getting around the city is straight forward. Taxis, Subways and walking. You can also get to the city bus line and if you want to go that route.

Since you have London close by, I would forget about Broadway. London is equal to New York if not maybe better in some ways. Times Square use to be pretty cool like Greg said. Big giant Red Light district. Now, hey you go there just to say you were there.

I would also sign up for one of those bus tours. Something like this: New York Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tours, https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/bus-tour-packages/ Do some research to make sure you get a good one, but this will help you cover a lot of ground.

Hope this helped a little.

The best way to book hotels for NYC is to book your hotel in Secaucus, New Jersey and take a bus to NYC. They have buses that run to the main bus terminal every 15-30 minutes. depending on the traffic through the tunnel, the travel time is about 30 minutes. Check out the hotels prices between the two cities and you will understand there is a big difference.

From the main bus terminal getting around the city is straight forward. Taxis, Subways and walking. You can also get to the city bus line and if you want to go that route.

Since you have London close by, I would forget about Broadway. London is equal to New York if not maybe better in some ways. Times Square use to be pretty cool like Greg said. Big giant Red Light district. Now, hey you go there just to say you were there.

I would also sign up for one of those bus tours. Something like this: New York Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tours, https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/bus-tour-packages/ Do some research to make sure you get a good one, but this will help you cover a lot of ground.

Hope this helped a little.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm expecting Broadway and Times Square to be very like London's west end and Piccadilly Circus - we might try and get cheap tickets to a show, though and I definitely will go and see it. Many of the attractions are the same - we have Madame Tussauds and Ripley's Believe It Or Not and lots of others in London too.

My current plan is to walk around sites in similar areas then use the subway for longer distances. I've read that hop on hop off buses get jammed in traffic too much (as they do in London).

What I really want to do is get a nice balance of touristy and non-touristy stuff. I want to go see the Statue of Liberty and probably will go up it, for example - you can't fly all that way and ignore it - it's what NYC is most famous for. We'll probably take a boat tour around Manhattan - maybe the evening one with all the lights in the dusk. We'll go to Central Park and look at Strawberry Field and see where John Lennon lived. I want to see some less touristy stuff as well, but I don't really know what that is. Soaking up a bit of atmosphere is always good and finding vibrant places to grab a drink and something to eat will be nice - I know where to do that for tourists and locals in London - I guess around Times Square is the most touristy place to do this in NYC, but like Leicester Square in London, I imagine it's not the most authentic experience and is full of shitty, rip-off restaurants.

Lower Manhattan is your best bet for local quirky cool stuff. All the best little districts are down there - SoHo, the Village, Little Italy, Chinatown, Tribeca, The Bowery, etc. It's all south of times square. Go downtown.

I heard things have gone downhill in NYC since DeBlassio got in. Apparently street crime is seeing a massive surge?! All the stuff Guliani accomplished are being erased.

True/false??

Cheers! :)

Back