game system

Nicole_Rose

Great White North Girl
my wife and i want to get a game system for ourselves for christmas. we have no idea what to get. or who makes what for games. we want racing games, rpg's, and a decent but easy to use golf game. what would be good for us?

im not too familiar with todays video games...

but when i was younger... i loved to played sierra games, kings quest/space quest etc (i believe they are now bought out by a big dog) but there stories, music, and adventure would take you away

it looks like they have a new release of that series for pc... maybe consider that and just get a nice gaming PC

my wife and i want to get a game system for ourselves for christmas. we have no idea what to get. or who makes what for games. we want racing games, rpg's, and a decent but easy to use golf game. what would be good for us?

A PC.

Consoles become obsolete and you can't upgrade them. A decent PC will keep you going for a lot longer, they will always be ahead of the game, and you can put together a decent gaming pc for pretty much the same price as a PS3.

Also PC games usually cost less than console games.

That said, I really like my Dreamcast.

A PC.

Consoles become obsolete and you can't upgrade them. A decent PC will keep you going for a lot longer, they will always be ahead of the game, and you can put together a decent gaming pc for pretty much the same price as a PS3.

Also PC games usually cost less than console games.

That said, I really like my Dreamcast.

I had that thought myself, but figured if they want something that will easily hook up to the TV, have native game controllers, and perhaps they weren't looking for a ton of games to play, one of the consoles would be better.

However, if you already have a good PC (and if its lagging, an upgrade in RAM and video card might be all you need) and you are okay with gaming on the monitor you have, then I'd say also look into the PC games, and maybe invest in two controllers for the PC that mimic a standard console controller.

OTOH, I probably wouldn't advise you to go out and drop 1500 on a PC, and then spend the cash on games... at that point I'd say look into the consoles - with a couple games you aren't looking at spending upwards of 2k :p

OTOH, I probably wouldn't advise you to go out and drop 1500 on a PC, and then spend the cash on games... at that point I'd say look into the consoles - with a couple games you aren't looking at spending upwards of 2k :p

I wouldn't drop $1500 on a PC either these days. My roommate built his PC for less than £400, which is less than a PS3 goes for over here. However, I can understand how the 'plugin and play' aspect of consoles can be appealing. Which is why I still have and occasionally use my PS1, PS2, PSP, and Dreamcast. I won't buy another console though.

the thing is, we want games we can play together. like racing games and golf and other two player games. (hopefully). i have lot's of computer games. but you can't play two players. (other than online multiplayer) i think a console would be best for us.

i've been looking at the xbox 360, the wii, and the playstation 3. xbox and playstation are expensive. xbox has the most games. wii has the most two player games, but has the least amount of games over all. xbox has online play, but you have to pay to play. playstation seems to have quite a few games, and some of them are even would be cool for us, it's just that the thing is too friggin expensive. the wii is less expensive and you get to play the game much differently than in the past. i think i'm going to suggest the wii to Kim. :)

the thing is, we want games we can play together. like racing games and golf and other two player games. (hopefully). i have lot's of computer games. but you can't play two players. (other than online multiplayer) i think a console would be best for us.

i've been looking at the xbox 360, the wii, and the playstation 3. xbox and playstation are expensive. xbox has the most games. wii has the most two player games, but has the least amount of games over all. xbox has online play, but you have to pay to play. playstation seems to have quite a few games, and some of them are even would be cool for us, it's just that the thing is too friggin expensive. the wii is less expensive and you get to play the game much differently than in the past. i think i'm going to suggest the wii to Kim. :)

Good point about 2 player etc. I would recommend a Wii. I've only ever played on Wii in multiplayer, and it was a blast. The games are good fun and the controls are pretty cool. We booked out a conference room at work and set one up to play tennis on some huge plasma screen. It was great, all of us swinging our controllers around like they were tennis rackets.

I wouldn't worry about how many games are available right now. More will be made, and you can only play one game at a time anyway.

The Wii is hugely popular right now. So popular that it's hard to find in stores.

The multiplayer on this system is a lot of fun. For amateur gamers, I'd think this would be the perfect system. Graphics aren't super hi-def, and it doesn't have a ton of shooter games for it. But, it is easy for a non-gamer to get into.

An Xbox 360 would be good for a more serious gamer. Someone who doesn't want the "cute" aspect of the Wii games. This system is good for people who want to play shooters or sports games across the Internet.

The PS3 is for the person who HAS to have the BEST. It's the most expensive, but it comes with a Blu-Ray player and has pretty impressive specs. It's arguable if the games are any better than the 360 though. The 360 vs. PS3 argument is another Intel/AMD or Windows/Apple argument.

I own both a xbox 360 and use a PC for gaming.

plus for PC: Free online gaming for first person shooter games like COD2 etc..
You have a keyboard for controls. To me it's easier to control.

minus for PC: Hardware compatible issues arrise. Which can be a hassel
but get aroundable.
You have to install the games on your PC. It can be time
consuming.

plus for xbox 360. I like the the vibration effect of the controller
It's more user friedly and easier to just plug in an go.
No upgrades or fixes to worry about.
Halo 3 Rocks!

minus for xbox 360 You have to pay to do any online gaming. But you get
more extras like bonus maps on some games.
The controller is a little tuff to get use to at first.

I had a problem with my 360, but it was under warrenty and i sent it off to get fixed and have had no problems since.

Atari 2600. Ebay. One joystick, one button.

Hehehe, I have the Atari Flashback 2. Has all the classic Atari games in a console that looks just like the old 2600 but is about 1/3 the size. And those classic joysticks! :D :D :D

Attachments

• flashback 2.jpg
    flashback 2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 99
Nintendo's WE or that Xbox 360 for that halo game...

addicting enough to the point to where people are attending support groups for video game addiction.

Sony Playstation 3. It's great! Has a blu-ray and dvd player too. Wireless controllers that recharge. There are a few decent games out now but more to come. The great thing is they play in high resolution (up to HD 1080i if your TV supports it). You could go with Oblivion or Heavenly Sword for RPG, Ridge Racer, F1 or Motorcross for racing, Tiger Woods for golf (It's more realistic than Golf on the Wii). Graphically, I think Rainbow Six has to be seen to be believed. You said it was expensive but Sony havn't captured enough of the target market yet - so they've cut the price significantly. It's now 40GB capacity (loads seeing as all you'll use the hard drive for is storing the odd photo/mp3 and saving games) and they've dropped at least €100 off the price.

my fiancee/soon to be wife and i are loving the wii. it's great for quick games, which is all i have patience for. she's kind of an on and off gamer though, so she'll spend 4-5 hours some days once in a while playing games like tomb raider or zelda or something, so she alternates between the wii, the ps2 and a gamecube. we'll probably get a ps3 once the price comes down a little bit too.

May I recommend, for rpg...nothing beats a pouch full of dice, a good set of updated AD&D manuels, some graph paper and extra sharp pencils, some refreshments like pizza, yoo-hoo and pork rinds....and your imagination...can't be beat!

Back