Writing two songs at once

JerryD

Hi all,

Does anyone find themselves working on several songs at once but never seem to finish any of them well?

Also does anyone have this problem? I seem to be trying to write the greatest song every time I write. I really puts a damper on my writing because you can't write great all of the time. Does anyone one else have problems like these?

JerryD, You aren't alone I can tell you that much!
Sure, I usually have about 5 songs being worked on at the same time. Also, when Im writing a song, I'll play something that will remind of "that song" that I wrote about 2 years back and then have the crazy idea of resurrecting it. The only way to battle this problem is to let go of the idea that you are working on x number of songs...quantity usually doesn't amount to as much as quality does!

peace

I actually write things in pairs it seems. Seems that some tunes are joined at the hip (or at the wrist) with others. I think that it is more of an association with subject matter and mood more than anything else. And so I attatch one to the other to better understand the individual pieces themselves, or to get clues about where to take one or the other. It's nice to have works informing other works. I'm a sculptor too, and I work this way in that. I seem to finish songs easier though, I hardly ever finish my art, the songs are easier to let go I suppose.

-jhe

Several would be an understatement-

Right now I have music waiting to be arranged around vox for about 15 songs. One reason is that I obsess about lyrics to a debilitating degree. The other reason is that I haven't "worked" on a song in about 4 months. I usually have to set arbitrary deadlines to get the lyrics out. I'm always amazed at the discipline of folks who finish things without some kind of real pressure.

Last year I set out to write an acoustic-based record basically to teach myself to write, you know, to discover my way. The intention was to see every little idea through. I finished 5 songs pretty quickly, never finished and haven't recorded one of them to satisfaction.

Thanks

Thanks. I feel like two songs Max is my limit. This way I won't get disinterested if my one song isn't going well.

I NEVER finish my songs, unless I decide to junk them. :)
I do however, record them. Two of the three songs I have demoes of onmy home-page, I have changed the lyrics since i recorded them. So what? It's not a problem. Who cares?

I have so many songs that are incomplete, lyrics writen but no music and music without lyrics. The point is when I write say the lyrics and think they are good I find it difficult to write the music as it may be a let down to the lyrics. So two songs at once, I think not I am currentley writing around 50.

I think its always good to have more than one idea in your head, sometimes they merge to bring on something new.

I feel as if I am the king of unfinished songs. Sometimes after hours of recording you lose the feel or just get bored with it.What I try to do is sample the riffs save them and then a week later start cut and paste and most times I end up with something totaly different. And sometimes they finish themselves, I think I need a bridge or another chorus, I plug in and viola it doesn't need anything....

me 2

hi
it an old story ,working on several songs and never end them
but anyway i don't remember any song that i've ended at once.normally i need to think about it during the days .
and i think it totally depends on everyones manner in writing.
respina

The challenge is to bring those different ideas to fruition. I think most writers have pieces of songs in different stages all the time. But try to complete them, good or bad. There's nothing wrong with a good rewrite later on, plus it allows you to learn the craft as you go.

Last month I did three songs. One I was finishing I just had to do some minor arranging and mixing, the other two I had to write (music and Lyrics) record and mix. This was my most productive month ever and you know why ? I had a deadline and a theme! Being inspired but rushed meant not having time to endlessly try millions of options. A little problem when working with two songs at the same time (and in different styles) was having objectivity (I work alone). But as I knew I was in the ZONE I felt confident. These 3 songs got to be played by a DJ at a party. When people started dancing to it and were having a great time, it felt really great I tell you.

So get a deadline and a theme,
Have fun
BigBee

That's a good point actually. I noticed that some of my more productive moments came when I had a recording date set. I knew I had to get my tunes together so that I wouldn't waste any valuable studio time. Deadlines do help.

Back