Why Can't I Make It Longer?

jvasey

Why Can't I Make It Longer!!!

OK, who can help me here.
I don't have any trouble getting inspired, and can usually come up with a verse and chorus pretty easily. A bridge sometimes follows, then the real trouble. Second and third verses elude me.

The result is I usually end up with either a short song, with only one or two verses, or a longer song that eschews normal structures, and doesn't have a true verse or chorus.

What I'm looking for are tips people might have for getting that 2nd or 3rd verse out. Anybody got any?

Thanks, Jeff

I set up a scene in verse 1 and try to develop the story in verse 2, the bridge is usually a sort of conclusion or even solution. if you have two verses and a bridge, you won't need a verse 3 (would get a kind of long song, wouldn't it?)
before writing I often do a short brainstorming, then pick up the best phrases and turn them into verses!
by the way: I prefer shorter songs to longer ones that tend to be boring in most cases. I try to stay under 3 minutes, 3 and a half being the absolute maximum.
cu
smirky

Smirky:
Good idea is to read back your written verses to yourself,
pause, then see if there is anything more relevant to say about what is written in the prior verses.
If not, then it's done.
My lyrical gurus are Bob Dylan & Van Morrison, so i can write a song with a ridculous amount of wordage :-)

I have other ideas for you if this one doesn't work.
DJ

My idea is more subjective, that said, forget about thinking in terms of verse chorus, hook... and let the whole damn thing do what it wants. I like songs where the music reflects the ideas being sung. I'm not saying you can't repeat a progression or anything. Just don't limit yourself to a preconceived structure. Well thats my 2 cents for what it's worth.

You have to write about something that has scope to it. I have so many starred songs where the first verse is brilliant (in my opinion), by the time I write a second verse I have said all I have to say already-shit what do I do now.

It is generally good to write a song in a short period of time, in a certain frame of mind and while it is still fresh, however leaving a piece aside can work well, returning to it when you feel like working on it, maybe with a different perspective.

I know exactly what you're talking about, Jvasey. I write little things and I concern myself with "is it too short" all of the time.

My best friend is a poetic genius and I seek his advice all this time. He has always emphasized telling a story. I usually work by a two verse minimum. I pray for the day when I can write three that work.

Just don't put in anything that you know is unnecessary fluff. I also think you need to analyze what the issue is.

Are you saying to much in the first verse?

Are you focusing too much on the chorus?

Are you focusing too much on the music?

Do you really have anything to say?

Think about it and post another message.

I have the same problem, and I have a simple but unsatisfactory response: you just have to work harder. For me, the first verse and chorus come really easily, but then I run out of ideas. I have just come to accept that I usually can't finish lyrics in one sitting, and that it will take more work to come up with a good second verse. So I guess my advice is, don't rush it, or write something stupid just to have it done. I used to do that a lot, and when I listen to my older stuff it's really annoying.

I have trouble getting a song under 6 minutes. If anything my songs are always too long. Too many opus's I've written, a lot of stuff 11 and 12 minutes long... the majority are around 7 minutes. I love the few songs that are near 5 minutes, cuz they usually write themselves, and i don't fight myself with it. I often have intros and reprises, i'm trying to simplify though. So then I'll say to myself, just concentrate on the lyrics, but then I'll spit out 3 or 4 long verses (all of which I HAVE to use) and I'm back at 6+ minutes. But I don't question it too much... I'm just this way..:)

-jhe

helpful quote...

my early songs were usually too long and complicated, not catchy enough. I once read the following quote, which I found very helpful for improving my songwriting:

"A song is a three-minute movie playing to an audience with the attention span of a butterfly. Once you break the thread of your story, wether musically or lyrically, you've broken the spell and they fly away." (Barbara Rothstein, dircetor and songwriter)

smirky

Back