Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When is it "too late" to learn vocal techniques?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by wink wink View Post
    Do you have anyone you can name in person that has experanced this loss?
    I don't know any famous people personally, but I can hear it. All you have to do is listen to any video of almost any popular singer who's still performing somewhere past retirement age. (E.g., just read an article where Billy Joel says he has to lower a lot of songs in his shows now.)

I've probably lost at least a whole step, and more realistically 2 at the top, where I used to be able to fake a 2nd tenor. It's just not there, and it's because the vocal cords simply can't move that fast anymore. Probably have a half step off the bottom and some days a whole step, so the capo is really my friend anymore...
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    I am approaching 67 (next month). My friend who is in his 70' or 80's (he's secretive) convinced me to enroll in voice class that he is taking at the local community college. I have since completed Voice I, II, III (classical technique; legato, placement, breath conservation, etc.) and Commercial Voice which encompasses everything else (pop, rock, country, etc.) I had taken some individual voice lessons some 30 years ago but these classes gave me an opportunity to see others try what the instructor suggested and see the positive results first hand. I start a new semester in four weeks. I'm taking Chamber Singing, Symphony Band, Music Theory II, Jazz Ensemble and I may audit Voice III or Commercial Voice again if I think time will allow.
    The voice is an instrument and as such requires coaching and developing technique even for screamin' rock.
    Get busy livin' or get busy dying!

Thanks
    When is it too late? When you wake up in the morning...stretch out your arms and your elbows hit wood ...at that juncture you have bigger fish to fry...

Seriously though let me tell you bout my wife...

Nah never mind

"If" you can actually sing straight out of the box...it's never too late to improve on what you do...I know now I am never going to be the singer or keyboard player I'd like to be but I'm OK with what I am capable of and do seem to be going in a positive direction as to improving but damn the memory is like frickin swiss cheese these days...damnit!

Conversely if you are tone deaf don't waste your time....all the money in the world can't help

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TAE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    When is it too late? When you wake up in the morning...stretch out your arms and your elbows hit wood ...at that juncture you have bigger fish to fry...

Seriously though let me tell you bout my wife...

Nah never mind

"If" you can actually sing straight out of the box...it's never too late to improve on what you do...I know now I am never going to be the singer or keyboard player I'd like to be but I'm OK with what I am capable of and do seem to be going in a positive direction as to improving but damn the memory is like frickin swiss cheese these days...damnit!

Conversely if you are tone deaf don't waste your time....all the money in the world can't help
    A big +1 up there!!! ^^^
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    ..."If" you can actually sing straight out of the box...it's never too late to improve on what you do...
    That's with the lid off, is it?

Thanks
    Really TEA, have you been diagnosed by an ENM practitioner to say that you are tone deaf?
    Can you explain what tone deaf is coz tone in a music sence is a very broad term which could mean anything from pitch, rytham, sound color vocal mode and so on, once again do you have referance to all of this?

You see there are two kind of people in this world JimmyS

The type of free soal/freeman person who wakes up in the morning and thinks, are what can I do today
    what can I do today that I can learn and become wiser and be a better person then yesterday

And then there is the other, the type that live who gets out of bed and thinks
    hum I wonder what our master (experts) what us to do next with our lifes next, I wonder what they want us to eat anddrink
    I wonder what they want us to think about I wonder how they want us to behave, oou I know lets switch the TV on and read the dail mail and find out

The question is JimmyS, where do you sit in all of this
    Dude, you took that personal evidently. If you read it as it was intended, it was a opinion about singers in general.

You seem to have an attitude today. I have bad days as well.

Here is where I sit. At my desk wondering what the fuck you are talking about.

Chill man and cheers!

PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks

Thanks
    Not at all sir. I was just trying to get real answers with real fact to answer the OP question
    If TAE feals that he is tone deaf then he needs to have a rethink that is all.

Persides there are too many people walking about today in some kind of brain washed hypnotic trance where they are bringing the imaginery side of the brain farward into the logical practical side of the brain (very dangerous for humanity indeed)(the words heads up there asses springs to mind)

If you want to know how things really work try switching the TV off and looking at other forms of media
    YouTube
    Forums - The Modern Vocalist World
    Find how things really work by turning off the tv and watching Youtube?

Seriously. Nap time....

Thanks
    Donít rise to the bait folks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thread Information