What physical exercises?

Hello,

I just got my self a gym card. I believe in that the body is the instrument when you sing and it is important to be in a at least decent physical shape in order to sing ok. So, what exercises, what gym workout machines, how much/how long/how often would you recommend to be above avarage?
What part of the body/muscles would you say is the most important to focus on?

Everything will help your stamina. Sex is probably the best workout for a vocalist mentally.

Your thoracic diaphragm is what is used most for singing, and learning to control your breathing with it, will enhance your performance. Core strength is what you are looking for. Breath control and how you project and use your vocal chords are equally important. I don't believe members of your gym will appreciate vocal exercises done there tho. :D

I'd say anything that gets your breathing going would be good. Lifting weights won't hurt but maybe bike or track.

Yeah I'd be inclined to agree with ido. I'm a weightlifter myself, but never do any cardio, and I've never noticed any effect on my singing except maybe confidence on stage, but thats purely mental. So whatever helps your lung capacity.

I'd say anything that gets your breathing going would be good.......maybe bike or track.

So whatever helps your lung capacity.

I'm not completely sure that it helps, but I like to sing while I bike to work.
Biking is good. And furthermore, sing while you ride. If you can learn to control your note progression while you're controlling your breathing as you bike up a hill, you'll improve many notches. And the more you do it, the simpler it becomes. If you think that sounds daft, consider all the energetic vocalists that prance around for two hours on stage. It's harder than weight training !

Back