What is the minimum time for a song?

JerryD

I wrote a pretty good song the other day. I recorded the song and it has three verses and three choruses. It also has a short lead part after the 2nd chorus. It does have a very short intro.

The problem is the song is only 2:09 long. The song sounds like it's a complete, but the time on it seems mighty short.
I even was able to use 160kbit on the encoding because the song is so short.

What is the mininum time on a song?
Do I need to add a bridge?

Good question....unfortunately there is no right answer. I like songs that are a minimum of 4 or 5 minutes, because any less than that just sounds like the song is incomplete.

If it sounds done, then it IS done. You could make a second version and add another chorus, verse, and middle 8 and see if you like it.

Don't be concerned about the length of the song.. If it sounds cohesive at 2:09 then don't touch a thing! In fact, I'm willing to bet that the majority of good songwriters spend time actually cutting through unnecessary crap to bring their songs in tighter focus..

Better for a song to be a ditty then seven minutes of agonizing redundancy..

Cy

One thing you should never be afraid of is a short song.

I spend a lot of time as someone mentioned cutting them down, getting rid of things.

Keep the recorded version at 2:09, if you get the chance to play it live-make it as long as you want by repeating and improvising over it.

Unlike having a short song, a long song can be too long though in my opinion; depending on the style.

I agree.

I think it's better to have a short song (as long as it's sufficiently developed) than it is to have a song that's too long. It's better to leave the listener begging for more than it is to have them asking themselves "when's this gonna be over?"

I listen to quite a bit of progressive rock and a 12 minute song can be one of the short one ones ! If you want a radio-friendly song keep it in the 3 minute to 4.5 minute range. It's sad that commercial radio imposes that restriction but that's life.

That's what I meant about a recorded version (say for an album) and playing it live. When you play it live you improvise around any given theme; expand upon for a better word. You are the creator (I assume) and it's your song to do what you want with it.

A good song doesn't need to be long at all in my opinion (take the Beatles' "Yesterday" or many others of them)
and if you are not able to deliver the message and give the audience some killer melodies within three or maybe four minutes, then you won't be able to do this by expanding the length of the song.
of course there are exceptions: I don't think that Queen's "Bohemian Rapsody" would sound as good if it was only a three minute song (how long is this song anyway, by the way?)

but all in all I would rather make a song shorter (by stripping off the unnecessary parts) instead of adding some stuff to it that will probably only bore the average listener.

cu, smirky

The first song on Third Eye Blind's second CD (Blue) is only slightly longer than that. A lot Weezer's songs on the new album are under 3 minutes. I've heard that short songs have a better chance of getting airplay because they can fit in those small gaps before a commercial break.

3 verses and 3 choruses (chori?) in 2 minutes? Must be a bleeding fast song! :)

If your song is really good, and if it is really 2:09, let it be! A good short song would give listeners the "I don't get enough of it" feeling. That way they would always go back and listen to the song over and over again.

And, just like writing a poem, the length is rarely a top priority (not that it's not important).

Quality rules! :)

2 minutes can be plenty, especially if it has a fast tempo. I sure have thought that songs were too long much more often that I thought they were too short. And this way you stand a much better chance the people will listen to the whole song!

Violent Femmes...Ol' Mother Reagan. Something like 28 seconds or so....but it totally rocks...suppose that defeats the minimum time theory...:D

***Justin***

Songs can be any length as everyone is saying here. I have a few songs that are about 2 mins in length. One that even clocks in at a hefty 52 sec. But the important thing is that my story is told within that amount of time. If you start messing around with it you will make it sound forced and that is when music becomes boring. If you're happy with it - leave it.

Radiohead don't get much airplay on there songs really because they are generally too long and they refused to record shorter versions (to fit on a radio spot). They also didn't release any singles I don't think for the 'Kid A' album; but thats a different story.

Play to an audience; if there still there at the end................if their asleep....................if your bored...................if.........if...............if....................if...........if.

I think I'm going to go to bed now; its late and I can't see wh a t I'm typ in g.

If you are satisfied, then it's long enough. I've heard( and even written) some 2 minute songs that were WAY TOO LONG. (LOL)

Someone mentioned the beatles before. Revolver, arguably their best and one of the all time best albums is case in point. A lot of the songs on that come in around the 2 minute mark and sometimes if I'm listening on my personal CD player and look down at the LCD display as a song is fading out I'm shocked that it's only at 1:59!

Having said that of the 8 songs i've recorded so far, only 1 of them is under 4 mins (3.56 I think ;) ), and a couple are either side of the 6 minute marker. I could cut them down but for the most part I don't think it's necessary. I'd say forget the Radio's limits, its probably more of a bad thing for your songs to be 'Radio friendly' ;).

Jags

Her Magesty by the beatles :49 seconds, I wouldnt start cutting down your song though, 2:09 is very radio friendly and will fit a commecial spot good as well.:cool:

There is a band from Australia, The Whitlams. On their first album there was a song which was about 40 seconds. The song in question was a comical song call "Mumm's goin' out". Short, comical, and it's the type of song that's sticks in your head.

I asked one of Australia's country singers how he writes song's and he said, "to get the message across in the least number of words". If the song goes for 10 seconds or 1 hour ( I know it's the extreme) it all comes down to the writer and the message that they want to give the audience. If it goes for 2:09 it goes for 2:09. You wrote the song and you do what you want to it... don't let anyone tell you to lengthen it or shorten it because you are then changing it for someone else not yourself.. it all comes from the heart.

I'm the far from the best song writer just have passionate feelings about it... it a way of expressing YOURSELF

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Porter

Back