Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is the minimum time for a song?

Thanks

What is the minimum time for a song?

Sign in to disable this ad

I wrote a pretty good song the other day. I recorded the song and it has three verses and three choruses. It also has a short lead part after the 2nd chorus. It does have a very short intro.

The problem is the song is only 2:09 long. The song sounds like it's a complete, but the time on it seems mighty short.
    I even was able to use 160kbit on the encoding because the song is so short.

What is the mininum time on a song?
    Do I need to add a bridge?

I drank what?!? Socrates 399BC. I drank what?!? Jerry 2011

Thanks
    Good question....unfortunately there is no right answer. I like songs that are a minimum of 4 or 5 minutes, because any less than that just sounds like the song is incomplete.

If it sounds done, then it IS done. You could make a second version and add another chorus, verse, and middle 8 and see if you like it.

Thanks
    Don't be concerned about the length of the song.. If it sounds cohesive at 2:09 then don't touch a thing! In fact, I'm willing to bet that the majority of good songwriters spend time actually cutting through unnecessary crap to bring their songs in tighter focus..

Better for a song to be a ditty then seven minutes of agonizing redundancy..

Cy
    Cy

[SIZE=1][URL=http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=716684]Cy's Tracks[/URL][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][I]
    All music posted by Cyrokk is Copyright 2006, 2007[/I][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][URL=http://www.myspace.com/hellsacre]Hell's Acre[/URL]: Music to headbang and break stuff[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][I]"I don't like stuff that sucks"-Butthead

"You're a fart pocket in a turd, fuck off!!!"-Fancy[/I][/SIZE]

Thanks
    As long as YOU think it should be.

Thanks
    One thing you should never be afraid of is a short song.

I spend a lot of time as someone mentioned cutting them down, getting rid of things.

Keep the recorded version at 2:09, if you get the chance to play it live-make it as long as you want by repeating and improvising over it.

Unlike having a short song, a long song can be too long though in my opinion; depending on the style.

Thanks
    I agree.

I think it's better to have a short song (as long as it's sufficiently developed) than it is to have a song that's too long. It's better to leave the listener begging for more than it is to have them asking themselves "when's this gonna be over?"

Thanks

Cool

It may depend what genre the song is....

Thanks
    I listen to quite a bit of progressive rock and a 12 minute song can be one of the short one ones ! If you want a radio-friendly song keep it in the 3 minute to 4.5 minute range. It's sad that commercial radio imposes that restriction but that's life.

Thanks
    That's what I meant about a recorded version (say for an album) and playing it live. When you play it live you improvise around any given theme; expand upon for a better word. You are the creator (I assume) and it's your song to do what you want with it.

Thanks

Smile

A good song doesn't need to be long at all in my opinion (take the Beatles' "Yesterday" or many others of them)
    and if you are not able to deliver the message and give the audience some killer melodies within three or maybe four minutes, then you won't be able to do this by expanding the length of the song.
    of course there are exceptions: I don't think that Queen's "Bohemian Rapsody" would sound as good if it was only a three minute song (how long is this song anyway, by the way?)

but all in all I would rather make a song shorter (by stripping off the unnecessary parts) instead of adding some stuff to it that will probably only bore the average listener.

cu, smirky

Thread Information