What Makes A Song Great??

chazba

terminally hip
There a probably as many answers to that question as there are people who listen to music. I've been writing songs for a long time
now, and sometimes people actually liked them. Writers are so close to their creations that often we , at least I, can't tell what's
good or bad about my own stuff, but I instantly can respond to
someone elses stuff whether on the radio or just sitting around
picking with my buddies. Why is that?? Can anyone tell me what
are the qualities that make a song really stand out?

Music is a collection of hearable feelings.
Some nice feelings can be got because of simple music, mostly called Top 40/ R&B/ Commercial music.
The feelings-part of these songs are on the upper side of the song itself, not literally. You don't have to think, to listen very hard to get into the feelings.
The problem is, that the feelings THAT you get by listening to it, are not very 'deep', not really thought of, quite ordinary.

But, if you spend more effort in listening, and GOOD listening, comparing etc., you will discover the same feelings, but amplified maybe a 100 times. At first it cost a bit more effort, but you get really more back.

For example; you are very sad. (ahhh...). You start listening to a R&B song. You got the feelings, and feel good for a moment. When the song is over, you're still sad.
You listen to a song, where time and effort had been put in, something like Dream Theater. (my opinion). You hit play, wait for the song to build up, then ... comes the climax! Here, you've reached, let's call it point X. Point X is an amplification of the feeling you already got, same like when you used drugs. You could have a 'bad trip': You WERE sad, you become soooo sad, you're always thinking about suicide, if you were happy, you are simply TOO happy. Then, the song starts to go to his end (listening to Dream Theater, that will last some time...:)), and point X is fading away. What rests, is a satisfacting feeling. You lost your sadness, or got a controlable version of your happiness. Could be compared with sex? Yes, probably.

So: what's a good song?
When trying to make good song, there could be billions of advices about song structure, verses, bridges, chorusses etc. etc., but as you see, the most important thing IS: put all your effort, all your abilities, your entire heart, in the song.

well,

that's it.

Maarten.

I agree with F_cksia. What I'd also add is that when I buy an album there are initially a few catchy(ish) songs (hit songs) that you tend to listen to more than the rest. Over a period of time you tend to listen less to the 'hit songs' and more to the 'songwriter' songs, the songs that have more depth but at the same time you have to be on a certain level to understand them. You put the effort in and in return you get music that you will probably listen to forever. Those hit songs on the other hand tend to bug you after hearing them 20 times.

Neil young-'do what you want, play the music you want, don't be bothered about record sales'.

Answer-depth.

Some more thoughts

Good point...depth, sincerity. I took a writing course once and the
instructor stressed to "write what you know"
When I hear a song that grabs me, it's not necessarily the "hook"
that the writer might have intended that gets to me, I think that
presenting or treating a common feeling or event with a new perspective can move me more than a slick line or two.Sometimes an outstanding solo can do it, but that's really more the record or arrangement than the song itself. It's more like the solo captures the mood and re-enforces it, really nails it, know what I mean??
It can be very satisfying as a listener to hear a song that portrays
something REAL and can make you say Yeah, thats how it felt
to be there, even if it's about something that you've never done or felt, and maybe wouldn't even want to, but the writer can capture it and present it in a way that draws you in and makes you give up yourself for a moment to be someone else or somewhere else. Was that a "run-on sentence"??

Great hixmix...

That was a good example of simple, commercial, surfaced reasons for buying and liking a song :D:D

Nothing makes a song great. It is either born that way, or it isn't.

On the other hand, if you have Diane Warren helping you do the rewrites...

It's the old nature vs. nurture thang.

Am I at 500 posts yet?

Diane Warren is one in a billion.

However, getting Pink to sing your song naked will surely pay most of your bills.

What Makes Music Good!

Heart and Soul... Thats all you need, well something to say would be nice too!
You can find me on myspace / ryanmackmusic

Heart and Soul... Thats all you need, well something to say would be nice too!
You can find me on myspace / ryanmackmusic

Wow...you revived an 8 year old thread to point us to your myspace page. Bet that works out well for you...

For me, it's musical complexity. For example, integrating various genres, multiple complicated key changes, a wide range of notes, generally trying to do what hasn't been done before.

Secondly, nice simple patterns, but with emotion or realness. Like stuff by the Pixies or Interpol.

Hmmm....

From the time I started buying music as a teenager? A really "great" song to me, gives me a chill, very niticeable, and actually makes the hairs stand on end momentarily.

Once I have heard the song too much, it ceases to "do that". If I put the cassette away for a long time, I finally remembered it and got it out, and bang! it "did it" again. (I am 40, so I always say "cassette", instead of the newer term "CD", LMAO)

so... a great song, gives me a "chill" and makes hairs stand on end momentarily.

Hmmmmmmmm......

(I am 40, so I always say "cassette", instead of the newer term "CD", LMAO)

I have stacks of vinyl that fills up two walls of the basement. I still say 'album'. :D:D:D examines dirt to see which of us is older.... I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Oh crap! I forgot to go to that nice young man's myspace page.

From the time I started buying music as a teenager? A really "great" song to me, gives me a chill, very niticeable, and actually makes the hairs stand on end momentarily.

Once I have heard the song too much, it ceases to "do that". If I put the cassette away for a long time, I finally remembered it and got it out, and bang! it "did it" again. (I am 40, so I always say "cassette", instead of the newer term "CD", LMAO)

so... a great song, gives me a "chill" and makes hairs stand on end momentarily.

Yeah, I know what you mean by "chill". Doesn't happen so much these days though.

ANd whatever it takes to write a good song... Pink does NOT have it.

Back