What to improve on?

nyckylim

Hi Guys,

I have always found my vocals to be very amateur. Kindly let me know what should I improve on.

I've recently purchased the TC Helicon Mic Mechanic and although it does make my voice sound clearer, i think i have to improve on my singing as well.

Please note that this is my first recording done without the Mic Mechanic yet. I'll find time to record with the mic mechanic.

Do not hesitate to criticize.

Thank you!

Cheers
Nycky

Hello there nycky! I've just heard your song and I feel that you aren't reaching some tones! And also, your voice is pretty muffled, try to make it clearer! You can also improve by learning how to do the Vibrato. Other than that, you seem to be singing pretty well with your confidence! Some people just can't sing because of their timid nature! I believe if you work hard, you will be able to achieve better than this, good luck singing!

Cheers,
Darren.

Hi Darren,

Thank you for your kind comments.

I've just recorded today with the Mic Mechanic hoping that the adaptive tone feature would add clarity to the voice. Now i know what i should be improving on makes it easier for me to watch some youtube clips and learn much more. :) Thank you so much.

As I'm new to this whole new recording thing, I hope no-one gets offended by my lousy quality recording and non-developed vocals. Im trying to improve day by day as I'm learning more stuffs everyday.

Do let me know if this new version recorded has more clarity to the voice. I hope I have not wasted money on the Mic Mechanic.

P.S: And apologies for the poor pronunciation as I've just had my braces fixed yesterday and still trying to get used to it. ;)

Cheers
Nycky

Nycky,

Firstly your voice has a beautiful timbre to it and you convey feeling in both versions. I'm not convinced the piece you have here is sat at the best part of the note register for your easiest range. Your vocal in V2 is way crisper and maybe a little near the available headroom in places. I don't think anyone would be offended by your vocal, the overwhelming majority of people here are interested in helping and like myself, all started somewhere. Perhaps run an extra track that you can dump before mixing a song, which contains most of the vocal melody notes, just so you can hear any potential flatties, or if you've gone a little sharp. It's not easy to get a vocal to sit in every mix. One set up which sounds great for one track may sound like it doesn't sit in another, depending upon the dynamics of each track. I think you have great potential with your vocal, keep at it.

All the best

Tim

Nycky,

That was an awesome remake! Your voice was much more clearer and I am sure if you get used to the braces, you will sing well! I love the way you shifted the tone of your voice and more! Way to go! You really have a beautiful voice.

Cheers,
Darren

Hi guys,

Firstly I have to thank both of you guys for your comments as it has given me much more courage and not to mention, confidence.

your comments has helped me a lot and is exactly what Im looking for. Someone who is able to hear what is wrong and has the experience to tell me what to improve on.

I can't be more than glad that I've found this forum.

Phasemaker: one question that I have is, how would I be able to find out which is my strongest register ? Also, do u mean I should sing higher or lower ? Sorry for coming across as a total newbie.

Thank you all once again
Cheers
Nycky

Glad you are finding the forum a very useful resource. Yes, higher or lower, maybe play a few chords and have some words to hand and find the area where you find your singing notes feel effortless. Having listened to your vocals, you might like to try an F major immediately above middle C and maybe the inversion of that chord which uses that C or get a virtual or real keyboard and play single notes along a scale and sing each one as you go up and down the keys to find a comfortable area which has enough room around it to cover an average kind of melody. Once you know where you work best, if you do covers they can be transposed so the melody sits around your sweet spot. That approach will save you time with trying a track and discovering that you are unable to nail some of the notes, as you'll already know your usable range; and you can pitch the track accordingly.

All the best

Tim

Back