What do you REALLY think!?

jaykeMURD

I sit on you.
Well, I've been on a sort of hiatus from many things, including the good ol' Homerecording BBS! I'm back, and I'm looking to get back into recording.

Enough jibba-jab, I'm wanting some serious feedback on my singing (and playing).
All I've got is a cheap USB mic and the webcam built into my laptop. Pretty far from what I used to have, haha.

WARNING: All I've got is uploaded on Youtube, so bear with me, please.

YouTube - Jacob Hatfield - Where Do I Begin (original)

There are a few other songs there, feel free to explore...

Thanks!
P.S. Don't hold any punches, I want to hear it all.

Really like the song, envy your writing, like the bite in your voice, hate YouTube's sound, hate YouTube making things out of sync, cringed on the high "scream" part, but loved the everything else.

Thanks ido1957, I really do appreciate it!
Indeed, youtube does suck. But it's the easiest way for me at this point...and has the potential to generate a lot of exposure.

I cringe on that part too, that's what I get for not warming up properly. But thanks again for your response!

The video sync is way off, but that doesn't really affect the sound.

It sounds pretty good for a single USB mic.
I can't clearly hear the noise floor (since my headphones/headphone jack at work aren't great.)

I heard a lot of crackle on the louder notes. Was that from overloading the mic, a YT compression thing, or some combination thereof?

Thanks fellas!
There are numerous handicaps at work, but the more inspiration I harness, the more driven I become.

Keep it coming!

and yes, YouTube blows goats as far as audio is concerned.

Good stuff, man.

As a side note, it's not Youtube's fault that the video is out of sync, it's the webcam that causes this, but Youtube does make the audio suck when you watch it at lower quality. If you change the resolution to 480p instead of 360p it sometimes helps the sound, though I couldn't really hear a difference between the two on this video.

As a side note, it's not Youtube's fault that the video is out of sync, it's the webcam that causes this, but Youtube does make the audio suck when you watch it at lower quality. If you change the resolution to 480p instead of 360p it sometimes helps the sound, though I couldn't really hear a difference between the two on this video.

Yeah I been having problems with sync, there's always a compromise. Can't wait to get some real recording gear and see what I can do.

Thanks!

Back