Wedding performance coming up... need to improve FAST, Help!!!

No tips other than practice. Seeing how it is after all a wedding, alcohol will be there. It should be fine.

Just wait to perform till the guests and yourself have consumed enough.

Seriously, however it goes, I'm sure it will be heartfelt.

I'm not downloading or streaming a WAV file . . . my internet connection is not that robust nor speedy.

So I haven't heard the track.

But don't sweat on it. It's your best friend, he asked, and everyone there will be friends or family. Whatever you do, even if crap, they will like it. So just be like superman and trust your cape.

Sounds fine. Don't sweat it. You obviously got the song down pat. Get the wedding party drunk before you start.

Thanks, yeah I understand... like I said, I just have terrible stage fright so I was hoping anything that will make me improve would in essence make me feel a bit more comfortable up there.

Oh and that's not the song, that's just a random song I played... I don't even know what song to do. stress levels are HIGH right now lol

Pick a song. Rehearse it, and start drinking.
;-)

This is the hard part, when performance time comes , it will be over in a heartbeat, Then people will be shaking your hand, patting you on the back, and some will even drool on you . lol
:-)

If you are right to play at weddings, then drinking enough to make you lose inhibitions is simply stupid because you won't sing well. Any singer who has to drink to sing lets it impact on their performance. Fine, if your style is certain kinds, but a killer for others. You need to develop a technique to deal with it. For many, the feeling comes from intimidation. Seeing the people watching and perhaps talking about you, or you interpreting what you see and thinking they are thinking about you. You need to take charge. A girl friend of mine is a solo singer, and does the posher solo singer stuff with a band, where everyone looks at her, not the band. She suffered badly, until she read that a famous singer had the same trouble, and while she sang, imagined all the audience sitting there naked. The big fat guy, the wrinkly skinny lady. It's sort of a game, and it makes you smile, and she tried this and it worked. Sometimes stage fright high tens your awareness and makes you perform better. You just need to get it under control.

In this case, you are doing it for a friend. Keep that centred. It's for your friend, not these people. Some people can overcome stage fright, some can't, ever! I've done shows with big names who have thrown up in a bucket in the wings, but once they start, it's fine. For your friend, have fun, and enjoy it if you can. Everyone is on your side. The more comfy you feel, the better. Please, do it sober. Booze rarely improves your performance, and if you drink enough to lose your natural fear, then you are pissed! If it's important, do it sober.

Sipping one shot of whiskey will relax your throat and help you sing better. The key things to remember are "sipping", "one shot" and "whiskey". Cold liquids, sugar and tart juices are all to be avoided as they tend to tighten the throat or have other bad effects. Other alcohols don't work quite as well as whiskey. Unless it's your "thing", anything more than one shot may have more negative than positive effect. An exception to the things to avoid is that a small amount of lemon juice and honey can be added when you have a cold or similar affliction. Warm the mix in a microwave and sip. It's not delicious but it will help the voice.

I appreciate all the advice and help! :) I'll give it my best, but I've backed out of 2 weddings in the past because I was too scared (one of those weddings being my sister's)

I really wish I could drink (I know, bad idea) but I won't be able anyways because it will be during the ceremony, which makes it even more nerve wrecking.

I guess I just have to focus on the fact that this is not about me, and that everyone will not be judging but rooting for me to do well.
Also planning on performing during open mic night sometime soon... to "test" my nerves.

I've narrowed down the list of songs to these 3, just wanted to get some opinions on which one seems more appropriate:

1- Love by Nat King Cole
2- I'll Be by Edwin Mcain
3- Can't Help Falling in Love- Elvis
4- Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran

What would you guys chose and why?

Definitely do not drink. Warm up your voice with a few easy songs acapella if you don't have specific exercises.
I only know the Elvis song song but I would try and find one you know really really well and are comfortable singing. (and that is all lovey dovey lol)
You could always close your eyes if you don't need to see the fingerboard if you get nervous.
TBH I would not look at the audience at all because it will make you more nervous and distract you.

I would not look at the audience at all because it will make you more nervous and distract you.

Maybe . . . but my inclination is exactly the opposite . . . to get up there and sing to the audience, and to look at each one (well, as many as you can), and sing directly to them.

The first thing is to sit down and have a good think. Why are you putting yourself through this? Do you really want to do it, or are you being pressured by people who don't know how stressful this is?

If you MUST do it, or genuinely want to, but the thought terrifies you, then (and I now this will seem odd) seek out a qualified medical hypnotist. If you really want to do it then they can often help you to get through it. Hypnotism is useless if you reject it, or don't actually want to do something, but if you are lucky enough to be susceptible it could work better than drugs or alcohol.

I have always found being able to see the audience better, although sometimes what you see is a bit off-putting. I rather like looking out at festivals in the day time, and seeing thousands of faces, and I like to try to catch people's eye. You always seem to get a positive result. In the dark, you have no idea if they are liking or hating what you are doing.

Your four songs seem a bit 'young' and I have to admit I've never heard of the Nat King Cole one, and have never even heard of Edwin McAin? The Elvis one seems a bit tricky to sing in an un-Elvis voice unless it's a new arrangement, and Ed Shearan is like Marmite - you love him or hate him.

Back